Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:02:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686488
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Cmon Lovecraftian game, 'Death May Die'  (Read 12618 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: New Cmon Lovecraftian game, 'Death May Die'
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
Perhaps I should just get Mansions or Eldrich Horror

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2018, 07:02:53 PM »

Perhaps I should just get Mansions or Eldrich Horror
- I could certainly recommend both of those - though both are pretty different in terms of gameplay.
 Personally, as much as I want to like this I'll be waiting for it's commercial release - I want to see couple of independent reviews & playthroughs before parting with the cash. As to the giant Cthulhu model - I quite like it & find the notion of it being a board section in itself rather good (though I have found the images of the existing board pieces themselves a little disappointing - they may look better in the flesh) - after all, you have to find a point for it in a game & a great old one's appearance usually would mean oops, you're all insane &/or dead now. I'd wish them luck, but hey, it's Cmon so they don't really need it, what with funding achieved almost instantaneously as usual.   

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
Still not sure about CMONs Mythos version.
Dagon looks a bit like a chinese dragon....

Cultist#83

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 08:21:56 AM »
I watched the video and it has not really pushed me ether way...

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 12:24:12 PM »
While I will check the game out am primarily there for the miniatures, but to be honest not super impressed so far. There seems to me to be a "put tentacles and teeth on it, it's Cthulhu" kind of aesthetic going on. But my Mythos miniature collection started with the Grenadier range so I have to check it out. And although I have no really need for it I want that damn big Cthulhu.
We haul ours to kick theirs.

Offline fairoaks024

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2018, 03:11:31 PM »
I like the investigator miniatures, not too sold on the monsters.

I was originally in for everything but after watching some game play and reading some write ups I dropped down to a basic pledge.

I really don't like the attitude of 'shoot it! Shoot it!' They seem to have, whatever happened to the cthulhu feel of guns being good against the smaller stuff but no good against the real menaces? No investigating to speak of, not my idea of a cthulhu game.

Feels like they are just trying to re-skin Zombicide.

I'm just going to paint up the minis for Strange Aeons and not bother with the actual game.
Cult of the black goat cultist No.10

Offline harleyface

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2018, 03:30:47 PM »
Exactly my feelings...
Investigators are ok...
Well human minis
You can buy the bob murch set for example...
Monsters mostly nor my idea of the mythos.
Bones or others on the market are much more my idea of lovecraftian horror...
And i have to admit that i love uncle mikes idea of the mythos... Horror comical :)
Game feels not spectacular also...

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
The great appeal of the Call of Cthulhu rpg was that you couldn't blast your way through stuff. You needed to be versed in the mythos to understand how to defeat mystical stuff, and even when to just run like hell because you were up against something you didn't have a chance against. And of course, that wonderful sanity check. If it has been dumbed down to the level where it's monsters vs guns, that's a sad sad waste of the genre's potential.

There doers seem to be a divide whereas some people like the investigator models, but not the monsters, or vice-versa. I quite like the investigators, but do wish they had a bit more 'adventuring' to them, rather than just toting guns. There's a nice diversity in their types, but they're all brandishing some sort of weapon. Bit of a shame.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
I have played Arkham Horror Card Game a lot recently and the tension and monster dodging really has the Cthulhu feel - even solo, I know they all died in the video demo but it seemed to be that the characters really felt expendable and while I like the sanity mechanics with the insanity cards and the item cards that tuck under the player card (the same idea of allies with health is in  AHCG) it does seem a little power gamer - play your sanity to give you a boost and maybe kill three or four monster. I my book insanity is just bad...

I really don't like the attitude of 'shoot it! Shoot it!'
Agreed the designer said "shoot it in the face a little too often in the hour video

Feels like they are just trying to re-skin Zombicide.

I think I would have preferred a Pulp/1920s Zombicide, but then they wouldn't have raised as much money

I think I'll get it, I am sure that the exclusive will cover a fair amount of the cost on ebay... but the new scenario packs at 60 put me off a little - though mixing Gods and Episodes does seem to offer a lot of replay...

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2018, 06:20:21 AM »
There seems to me to be a "put tentacles and teeth on it, it's Cthulhu" kind of aesthetic going on.

Yep. That's Adrian Smith's art style.  :-I

Cthulhu War's concept artist said that he drew upon existing animals etc. when designing the Cthulhu Wars miniatures. Adrian Smith's artwork seems samey and arbitrary, reminding me of the ol' "random demon" chart from D&D (or Warhammer!). Sometimes he pulls off some cool stuff, other times it's an interchangeable mass of generic body horror. I did like the aliens of the Zombicide: Invader : Dark Side add-on, and his Rising Sun artwork was absolutely fantastic. Since he *is* the art director (?) of CMON, I figure we'll be seeing more of his artwork in the future.
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline diehard

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2018, 11:04:43 AM »
Heh, funny you should mention the Cthulhu Wars line, was just thinking yesterday (when they revealed their "Dunwich Horror") that I really liked the CW versions of the Mythos pantheon except for Cthulhu himself, who was way too buff, as opposed to the Death May Die versions where I think they did a pretty nice job with the big guy himself but pretty much missed the mark everywhere else (and don't even get me started on their "Deep Ones.") Now, I get that CMoN wanted to put their own spin on the Mythos, and I will still get this game to score the big Cthulhu (and I quit KS after CW and had to rejoin for this campaign) but while a number of the sculpts are pretty cool for what they are, a lot of them don't even match the description given for them right on their card (Byakhee is a great example here.) Now while I was never a big fan of a lot of the Ral Partha sculpts, I have to give them a lot more credit for at least staying truer to the core material. Ah, the Fhtagn horror of it all.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 11:12:20 AM by diehard »

Offline Freelancer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 12:19:22 PM »
They should probably remove the game play video if they one to sell more. I was initially about to jump on and impulse buy this, based on the concept and the range of figures (despite questionable interpretations of some creatures). However the game in action sapped my enthusiasm.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 02:51:40 PM »
I am in for the basic game. Liked the investigators so far and many of the monsters. Not sure how much opportunity is wasted (apparently a lot, as they did not research the Cthulhu mythos very well), but the models are what I’m after. The big Cthulhu is pretty good, but also quite expensive.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
Closing soon...

I made a placeholder pledge on the launch day, possibly because the big guy "mini" was an example of proper madness (as a concept) and I was slightly worried about missing out in that initial confusion and frenzy. However, now I feel like scaling down or just cancelling. Random thoughts:

Do I need another game? No, absolutely not. I have a boatload of mythos games, combat games, semi-mini games and mini games, yet not enough time to play them. (This rarely has stopped me from buying another one, though.)

Mechanics: to be honest, I only took a quick look, but it definitely looked like a "shoot it in the face" railroad with sanity points thrown in for another resource as usual. No real adventure, investigation or mystery there. An occasional 4+ test with a random skill doesn't really count. OK, I admit that this is fundamentally a difficult task. One just cannot create a RPG-like experience in a standard board game unless you essentially reinvent RPG. What kind of mythos investigation can you model by moving minis on a board? I've run into the same problem with my convention games. Is there any point in building terrain and moving painted minis if the characters are reading books in a library for two hours? Still I'd appreciate a little bit more effort than just making up a weak excuse for advancing to the next tentacle monster combat.

And then there's the general attitude. These days it's quite unavoidable that Cthulhu gamers are heavily in a "Woo, a monster! How many hit points? Pass more dynamite!" mode. However, it's disappointing that here the characters are in that mode as well. As pointed out earlier, the "real" spirit of mythos stories should be that humans are small, weak, insignificant and deeply puzzled/disturbed by what they encounter. In fact, in most stories they don't even see a single tentacled monster, let alone try to fight it. In this game (like many others), the characters seem to come with a massive arsenal to begin with and start stocking up on dynamite already in the starting square.

Minis: dunno. The investigators are quite varied, characterful and well made, but I repeat the "too many guns" sentiment. Scale-wise they probably won't match particularly well with my collection which has a lot of classic 25-28mm stuff. Regarding creatures, I'm generally open to new interpretations, because truly official ones barely exist. HPL left a lot to the reader's imagination. From a technical perspective, these look nicely detailed and menacing. I see some Gigerish approach, maybe. Then again, there's some "more tentacles" and overdetailing which starts to lose the main form like in GW's modern plastic kits. I could paint these and add them to my merry menagerie, but the more likely scenario is that they'll sit unpainted in a huge box for years. The Hastur mini is great, though, regardless of whether I'd personally envisage Hastur like that or not. It's just a neat mini. Shoggoths look very useful too. The rest is around average, not something I'd want to insta-buy if sold individually. The cost per piece is quite acceptable in the basic box.

Then, the maxiature... At this point of collecting I'd already "need" a ridiculously huge centrepiece, but I'm not sure whether this sculpt is what I really want. It's acceptable, but not a must-have. Somehow it feels more like "CMoN Cthulhu" than "The Great Cthulhu". Also, the cost with shipping is well over $200 and the delivery estimate is almost two years ahead. Admittedly, any resin kit of this size would probably be more like $500, but, well, with over 4000 of these ordered already (and undoubtedly some bought in a whim and/or eventually thrown out by angry spouses or a general reality check), I'd suspect that plenty will be available second-hand whenever they actually ship. Maybe I'll just invest in stock for two years instead?

Finally, one thing that really saddens me that they've already got some basic mythos stuff like names wrong several times. It may be a small thing but somehow it makes me think that (some of) the people responsible for the campaign are not very well versed in the topic but just piggybacking on the Cthulhu hype. The "Investigators fhtagn!" greeting they use smells like someone doesn't know what they're writing. :P Added to the "shoot it in the face" and "tentacles everywhere" factors, it makes the whole project feel a bit bland. I didn't buy Cthulhu Wars either, because it was essentially only about smashing plastic tentacle monsters against each other, not adventure or mystery. I may still leave a pledge in, for example the $1 which can be upgraded, but in reality I'm not very excited. The game may be playable for a couple of sessions, but I'd be mainly in for the miniatures. Even those may end up in a huge plastic pile in the attic.

Maybe there's not much hope of a big publisher producing a game which is really faithful to the True Spirit of mystery and madness. :?

Offline Paboook

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2018, 02:50:11 PM »
Well said, Dolmot. I have found myself in the very same stage of mind when contemplating my 100 bucks pledge.