Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lost Eggs Salute 2018 Minis  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Lost Eggs Salute 2018 Minis
« on: May 13, 2018, 08:56:01 PM »
Hi all,

My painting has been a bit slow and erratic over the past couple of years so I thought I'd make a little plog charting my progress as I paint up my modest haul from Salute this year.

First up some Banshees (Karist Angel Minnows from Maelstrom'd Edge by Spiral Arm Studios) for use as local wildlife in my War Rocket games.

The detail and fit on these minis is good and mould lines are few & far between. I've used Dropfleet widgets for ease of transport.

The next mini on my painting table is sometimes known as...Tim...
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Lost Eggs Salute 2018 Minis
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 08:23:21 PM »
Behold...Tim the Enchanter!

This is the second(ish) mini I picked up from Salute. He comes from Studio Miniatures and was great fun to paint. Sadly the pic has come out a bit glossy even though its not, I guess its the flash.

Next up is a mini-menagerie...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »
Cow goes moo, geese go hiss...

These little guys come from Warbases and I plan to use them for playtesting my Age of Bronze ruleset...one day...

Next up is JC...well I think the designer calls him something else but he reminds me of JC...

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2018, 04:16:19 PM »
very nice on the livestock in particular.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 10:47:57 PM »
Excellent use for those Maelstrom's Edge fishbats.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 06:53:22 AM »
Thanks guys :D Hopefuuly in another week or so I might have finished painting some more minis.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 06:01:15 PM by Lost Egg »

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2018, 06:18:21 PM »
Well...maybe a bit longer than a week :D

Here we have a Jim Bowen 40mm Bronze Age mini, a Lucid Eye chap that makes me think of John Carter and then another Lucid Eye guy from the Red Book of the Elf King range and finally a Wargames Foundry Bronze Age warrior. I only picked up the Lucid Eye minis from Salute but decided to paint all these guys at the same time as I wanted to use a similar colour palette.

I think out of all of these sculpts I prefer the Wargames Foundry guy and / or the Jim Bowen mini but both have their faults; some of the details on the 40mm guy are a bit fudged which isn't great considering he's so big and the WGF cast  Perry mini has a dodgey face. What I really liked about these two was the uncluttered style, they don't have too much detail. Don't get me wrong the Lucid Eye minis are very good but just didn't really grab me so much when I actually came to paint them. My John Carter lookalike wasn't too bad for this but I would have preferred a simpler loin cloth arrangement and a helmet-less head...plus the scenic base you get looks like he's standing on some kind of cheese or like he is standing over a nest of meerkats so I attacked it with GS to fill in all the random holes. The Red Book dude was actually miscast so I had to sculpt half his sword. While a lovely mini, a great size for gaming (he has an excellent sense of presence on a board) and great proportions he is a tad OTT in the detail department, it just doesn't really add anything...I am sure its great for a painter but as more of a gamer is just too much for me. In fact I actually bought a pack of 3 mortals and was intending to paint all 3 up but I just couldn't be bothered in the end.

This little realisation over the level of detail I like on a mini has been a mini revelation for me and will no doubt play a part in my own decisions whenever it is I finally get around to doing more sculpting of my own.

So, what's next on the painting table? Well with the release of Kill Team I am gunna put most of the remaining Salute purchases on the back burner for a while but I'd still like to finish them this year. I want to go a little reto with Kill Team, at first, and should be starting a new plog tonight...

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
It's taken a while but here is the next mini...Marty McFly...

I was a little disappointed with the quality of this cast (from Crooked Dice) as the two halves seemed to have slipped by 1 or 2mm but with a bit of tidying up it doesn't look so bad. I was also disappointed when I started looking at reference pics of Marty that this sculpt isn't quite true as the denim shirt should be open with his white shirt tucked in. I got around this by painting a line of blue between the red body warmer and the white shirt to suggest its presence. I didn't fancy painting the cheques on the white shirt which is a bit of a cheat given what I've said but I think he looks ok in the end.