Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689775
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: LPL3 - a small prize has been put up...  (Read 13622 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
LPL3 - a small prize has been put up...
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
Just to let you know that Alex Bates of 'Forge of Ice' has offered to donate a very nice little prize to the winner of the LPL: a set of 28mm-scale peafowl sculpted by Sandra Garrity...

Now as we all know, the league is supposed to be about FUN - not about winning big, so I'm not proposing to accept any further prize donations.

However, as Alex kindly offered, and the prize is small, very tasteful, and should be a lot of fun to paint, I think we can afford to accept this teensy bit of commercial sponsorship without compromising our Corinthian values (sorry if any non-English speakers are finding this hard to follow. It's been a long day)

Once we have an eventual winner of the league, Alex will be in touch by PM to sort out delivery of your prize.

Alex - if you want to add a tempting pic, please do so.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: LPL3 - a small prize has been put up...
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 11:35:59 PM »

All this time I was thinking that the winner’s 1st prize was to paint a whole army for Captain Blood to thanks him for organizing this season’s LPL…

Oh! well…  lol
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:55:53 AM »
Those minis are cute.  I can see Ray hiding one among next season's entries.   :)  Thanks Alex for the donation.

That said, I'm glad we're not accepting any more.  The LPL is for fun, and adding a substantial prize makes it seem more like work.  Of course, prizes could be awarded to random participants, which rewards participation, as opposed to painting genius.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:03:20 AM »
prizes could be awarded to random participants, which rewards participation, as opposed to painting genius.

That's the only way I'll get one   lol lol lol lol lol
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 03:14:09 AM »
Those minis are cute.  I can see Ray hiding one among next season's entries.   :) 

Ah!

If I had known that beforehand...  ::)

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:21:58 PM »
Here's a sample picture:

There are more pics of the individual birds here:

http://forum54.oli.us/index.php?topic=5205.msg43690#msg43690

I admit, part of the reason I wanted to do this is because I'm really curious to see some of the talented people here take a brush to them.

-Alex
-Forge of Ice

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »
I have no clue what I would use them for...

then again, I don't see myself "winning" the LPL. At least not in ranking. I think everyone who participates in making my monday a day full off eye candy is a winner :)
Why aim for gold if you can get lead?

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 05:43:05 PM »
I have no clue what I would use them for...

then again, I don't see myself "winning" the LPL. At least not in ranking. I think everyone who participates in making my monday a day full off eye candy is a winner :)
Same here, but good show - and I think it should be obligatory for the eventual winner to show them off here once painted :)
They ARE  grand little beasties. I checked out the link and the Willendorf Venus is grand too - any chance of having the Maltese one made too?  8) 8) 8)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:48:21 PM »
I am mightily affeared of Peacocks. One on its own is nothing, but when you've had thirty of the hellish things all crowded into your garden shrieking their damn heads off with that cursed piercing call of theirs, it is something you neither forget, nor recover from in a hurry.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Alxbates

• Mad Scientist
    • Forge of Ice on Faceboook!
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 06:22:19 PM »
Same here, but good show - and I think it should be obligatory for the eventual winner to show them off here once painted :)

They ARE grand little beasties.  I checked out the link and the Willendorf Venus is grand too - any chance of having the Maltese one made too?  8)

The Sleeping Venus of Malta is one of the next things on my "to-do" list.  I'll be sculpting her.  I eventually plan to do a handful of Venuses (Venii? What's the correct plural form?), all about the same size.

Of course, prizes could be awarded to random participants, which rewards participation, as opposed to painting genius.

I like that idea - it's a good thought.  If Captain Blood is cool with it, I'd be willing to donate a second set to a random participant (probably best if the Captain rolls that die!)

-Alex

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 07:44:32 PM »

They ARE grand little beasties.  I checked out the link and the Willendorf Venus is grand too - any chance of having the Maltese one made too?  8)

The Sleeping Venus of Malta is one of the next things on my "to-do" list.  I'll be sculpting her.  I eventually plan to do a handful of Venuses (Venii? What's the correct plural form?), all about the same size.

-Alex
That's splendid news :) :) Grand  - post the news when its done, please!  8) 8) 8)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 04:22:31 AM »
I like that idea - it's a good thought.  If Captain Blood is cool with it, I'd be willing to donate a second set to a random participant (probably best if the Captain rolls that die!)

I like it. We're going to take that. No second set needed (though thanks Alex for your very kindly offer!), that would be too much but we give that one set not to the winner but to a random participant :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
Kewl!

Now all you need is a 45 sided die!

:o

Offline Braxandur

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2009, 02:37:10 PM »
The person who "wins" the prize will have a hard job with painting all the "eyes" :p

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 10:55:51 PM »
Okay, I have just randomly drawn one slip of paper from 47, one for each LPL3 participant, and the lucky winner of the intriguing Forge of Ice peafowl set is...

DRUM ROLL...

CWCHMC

Congratulations Chuck  :)

And thank you Alex Bates, Forge of Ice (intriguing 28mm prehistoric knick-knacks for the discerning Megalithic gamer and miniatures enthusiast, no-sponsorship-here-party) for kindly putting up this small prize. It was a nice gesture  :)

Happily, I think you two are both somewhere in continental North America - so shipping should be relatively straightforward...

Alex - perhaps if you'd be kind enough to pm CWCHMC (or vice-versa) so you can sort out the delivery arrangements...

Thanks all.