Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:44:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What terrain would you make with printer cartridges?  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
What terrain would you make with printer cartridges?
« on: May 14, 2018, 06:05:38 PM »
I've used a lot of printer cartridges recently (one of the effects of the real-life stuff that has meant I've not been around so much lately) and not yet taken them to be recycled. I was wondering if anyone has any examples of terrain pieces they've made using/incorporating such items - on here, or on a blog, or on another site... I don't really mind! And especially if the process of turning said cartridges into terrain a) is easy and b) looks awesome in the end! I'd like to make some sci-fi terrain (if you can VSF or Pulp them up, I'd also be cool with that!) but unfortunately I'm an idiot and frankly the simpler the better. ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:06:03 PM by Red Orc »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
Re: What terrain would you make with printer cartridges?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:24:38 PM »
I don't know of anything specific, but terragenesis http://www.terragenesis.com/mybb/ is a good place to check for folk using recycled bits n bobs

Do you have any pictures of the cartridges?

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 07:53:32 PM »
Thanks zemjw, once upon a time Terragenesis was my favoured terrain site (also, where I first met Froggy the Great). I think there are 24 threads on here between 2009 and 2013 where I recommend people go there to check out the terrain. However, since the change in TG in 2014, I don't find it as easy to use, I'm no longer a member, and I can't find anything relating to this question anyway!

I've taken some photos of the cartridges but haven't yet set up a new post-photobucket account. I'll get onto that... in the meantime I'll post them on my blog. They should be here... https://redorcsblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/more-of-why-photobucket-is-shite.html

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

I've used them as pipe manifolds for scifi scatter.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:14:41 PM »
Thanks Overrevdsquat, that's the sort of thing I'm after. They definitely look like they have some function as pumps or generators or something. I like how you've got a pretty simple set-up - the cartridge, some tanks, a pipe and a tank/boiler. It looks like a purposeful set-up even if the exact details aren't there. What's in the tanks? What is being heated (or condensed)? It doesn't really matter, it looks suitably functional.

Do you have any other views? And what other bits did you use? The 'boiler' looks a bit like a Kinder Egg capsule - is that right? And what did you use for your pipe?

Sorry for the third degree, but the pic has whetted my appetite and I'm curious to know more!

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 03:33:43 PM »
You're right about the kinder egg :) . The pipe is a piece of wire (I have a few metres of it with a solid copper core that's about 1mm diameter, that keeps it's shape once bent. The other tanks are the capsules used in soda water bottles (or less happily for laughing gas so I'm told) - pun not intended  ;).

I can do some other veiws, and see if I used any others for anything. Glad you're inspired.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 04:04:03 PM »
 :D That's not because of laughing gas, but when you said, I saw the soda-syphon bottles. It's just funny suddenly realising what it is (and it's always good to see what I lovingly refer to as 'bits of old crap' turned into cool terrain). I don't have anything similar but I think I have some small bottles (shampoo nabbed from hotels) that might serve just as well.

Your wire sounds cool, I fear for pipes I'm going to have to use something like circular sprue or maybe straws. But it's definitely an inspiring image and I do appreciate it!

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 04:32:37 PM »
I am aware that there was a scratch-built space rocket/transport ship on Starship Modeler, unfortunately I have not been able to find details.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/

Tony

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 04:36:02 PM »
For example -

Tony

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 07:44:31 PM »
I've put some more images here: https://imgur.com/a/0EOH7BF

I've done them as a game layout to show what I was trying to achieve - there are lots of separate terrain pieces, that can be easily arranged together in different ways. The printer cartridges work really well for that for the stuff I use.

Plenty of bits of old crap  :D

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
I have used my stock of printer cartridges as containers. Glue several stacked together, they make great scenery that blocks line of sight/fire. Very useful in a confined area skirmish. I will try to get them photoed & show you some in situ.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 03:19:23 PM »
Thanks Tony, I am now of course a member of Starship Modeller as well, because what I need is more forums where other people's skill vastly exceeds my own  ;)

Overrevdsquat, that is pretty cool, I like the industrial terrain very much. I will be stealing some of your ideas.

has.been - that would be great, I'm looking forward to it!