Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:36:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Recommendations: Post-apocalyptic car combat games?  (Read 3172 times)

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Recommendations: Post-apocalyptic car combat games?
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:33:54 PM »
Hi, all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a good post-apocalyptic car combat game, à la Mad Max movies or similar. There's a lot out there, from the venerable SJ Games Car Wars, through Gorkamorka and up to Mad Maximillion and beyond! I'm looking for:
- fast, easy play
- rules or guidelines for building your own cars (taking a car, pickup or motorbike and adding weapons)

What do you like, what don't you like, what is worth me giving up my hard earned $$$ for?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: Recommendations: Post-apocalyptic car combat games?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 04:24:54 AM »
Go for Gaslands. It doesn't get any better.

My review is here:

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/2018/03/stars-review-pedal-to-metal-to-get.html
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Online Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 11:09:04 PM »
Thanks, Pilje, several others have recommended Gaslands as well.  I'll give them a try. :)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »
Axles and Alloys (2) is free, simple and doesn't require templates or anything. It might be too abstract for your needs but you did specify fast easy play and it costs nothing to check out. :)

http://axlesalloys2.blogspot.co.uk/

There's also the commercial ruleset Auto-Destruct-O-Rama which is based on Axles and Alloys. It re-balances a lot of things by adding more granularity to build points (instead of every component taking 1 or 2 slots like A&A) as well as adding a lot of new components and an ultra light vehicle class (bike teams). It also makes crashing into walls potentially less... explodey (in A&A hitting stationary objects is insta-wrecked).

http://www.wargamevault.com/product/211790/Cal-Fiftee-Presents-AUTODESTRUCTORAMA

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 04:22:52 PM »
I would really like to give Axles and Alloys a try but could not find the link to download the PDF. Can anyone share that with me?

Thanks,

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 05:45:38 PM »
I would really like to give Axles and Alloys a try but could not find the link to download the PDF. Can anyone share that with me?

Thanks,

Terry

If you follow Cait Sidhe's link, then the download link ('New Rulebook OCTOBER 2014') is located right under 'About Me' and 'View my complete profile', all on the upper right corner.
sanity is for cowards

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 06:29:10 PM »

Thanks,

Terry

Yeah the website isn't too clear, if you haven't found it already with Ink's directions here's a direct link to the download.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/nt911pnr94vhlbh/Axles+and+Alloys+2+-+Oct+2014.pdf

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 12:25:32 PM »
I should like to mention GW's 'Dark Future'. Part of large pile of 'owned by not played' I have...

Apparently, old sets are sought by Gaslands folk trying to use the sprue, especially the bikers, though I think the weapons are quite useful for tarting up the HW/Matchbox. I assume rule sets might be relatively inexpensive.

Dark Future uses card road sections, I THINK, similar to the mechanics I describe for ThunderRoad, below.

Also, for stupid fun, you might keep an eye out for ThunderRoad. A board game by Milton Bradley, it used offset rectangles printed on interlocking road sections. You had to clear the oldest section put down before any car was leaving the newest section, or be lost as that last section became first. Lovely little vehicles for those playing MicroMachine scale, I think.

Doug
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:42:37 PM by The_Beast »

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 10:19:09 PM »
Cait,

Many thanks for the link. I will indeed be giving them a try!

Terry

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 11:57:24 PM »
May I ask a further question? Does Axles have any rules for man-to-man combat - leaping from racing vehicles, crossbows, spiky gloves and all that...? I'm pretty sure Gaslands doesn't and that's one thing keeping me from being sold on them. Funny, really, because for the true Mad Max/Road Warrior experience that is needed, it seems to me. Curious what others think!  :?

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 10:40:09 AM »
May I ask a further question? Does Axles have any rules for man-to-man combat - leaping from racing vehicles, crossbows, spiky gloves and all that...? I'm pretty sure Gaslands doesn't and that's one thing keeping me from being sold on them. Funny, really, because for the true Mad Max/Road Warrior experience that is needed, it seems to me. Curious what others think!  :?

I don't think the base Axles and Alloys rules have pedestrian rules though there was a download for it on BoardGameGeek at some point.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27762/axles-and-alloys/files

I think it was very basic though, pedestrians always move a max of 6" after all vehicles and they count as having light weapons. No rules for jumping between vehicles and stuff though.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 01:59:03 PM »
Thanks, Cait, that's what I thought. Drat. What I'm tempted to do is a recreation of Road Warrior and there doesn't seem to be much out there for that. Perhaps I need to sit down and do it myself...  ;)

Offline Cait Sidhe

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2018, 02:17:33 PM »
Thanks, Cait, that's what I thought. Drat. What I'm tempted to do is a recreation of Road Warrior and there doesn't seem to be much out there for that. Perhaps I need to sit down and do it myself...  ;)

A couple of guys in the Post Apoc Game Cars group on Facebook (this one) are working on their own games featuring crew and whatnot. I haven't really followed them closely so not sure how far along they are, though one of the guys has play test rules up on Wargames Vault here, aimed at 28mm but probably easily adaptable.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »
You know, I forgot about those. Must give them a read through one of these days. Thank you for the tip!!!

Offline ork56

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 03:27:38 PM »
The Devils Run/Hells Highway game features a rolling road mechanic like the MB game mentioned above. Same scale as Hot Wheels.