Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:41:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686662
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fireforge foot knights (new release... I think???)  (Read 2571 times)

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Fireforge foot knights (new release... I think???)
« on: May 14, 2018, 08:51:38 PM »
Fireforge seem to release a lot of plastic sets that appear to go unnoticed.

Are these new? Or are they just repackaged, using parts from earlier sets?

As with all the other Fireforge plastic, I'm not a fan - much too unrealistic / cartoony / fantasy, and with a serious lack of historical accuracy as far as I can tell (two-handed swords in the 10th-13th centuries??)

But I'm sure they will appeal to others!  :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Fireforge foot knights (new release... I think???)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 09:42:05 PM »
Not really a new release. Just another batch of repackaging of components  ::)

Just some new sword arms by the look of things. Apart from that, the bodies and the heads all look like they come from earlier FF sets - Templars etc... Bit of a swizz really I’m afraid, but it’s a trick they’ve pulled before. Pretty shoddy as far as I’m concerned. Not impressed with the approach which I’m sorry to say is taking people for mugs...  :(

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 05:35:20 AM »

And what's with that crouching pose?

Ah, well that is easy to answer:
"So, you think you could out-clever us French folk with your silly knees-bent running about advancing behavior?! I wave my private parts at your aunties, you cheesy lot of second hand electric donkey-bottom biters".

These are clearly knights of the Round Table.

Crouching plastic figures seem quite common - GB plastic Vikings, Saxons and Dark Age warriors.  I have bought the firforge foot Templars, mainly for parts/conversion, but have made 12 figures up.  They are in some quite unusual, if not unnatural, poses.
Northstar figures are the exception.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:40:09 AM »
The Knights of Disco.

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 08:41:36 AM »
It's a good release from the point of view that there are more helmet options available on the one sprue and they will be good heads to mix with the conquest medieval knights set but as others have said it just seems to be a different combination of existing parts.
Those swords though... 🙄 I don't mind too long as I can easily cut them down, it's the hilts that are more problematic. It does increasingly seem to be the case with plastic sets that they get close to being good but ultimately miss the mark...
On crouching poses I think the idea is that of a defensive position, which sort of works for the Gripping beast Vikings/Saxons hunched over in a shield wall but fireforge seems to have decided to take it to extremes. GB would do well to remember that crouching/hunched over humans are not the same height as those standing up!

TLDR- I will just source the one sprue, could have done better.

Offline Breazer

• Mad Scientist
    • Breaz Brushes
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 06:05:18 AM »
It's so sad these kits are all so bad. I use them quite often but i change a lot about them to make them look halfway ok. Adding necks is one of the most important things with these miniatures which should never be the case. the crouching pose makes no sense to me and is one of the things i just leave on the sprue. Its like they are pooping their pants.

The swords just look silly. The arms are always too long. Poses are weird and half the heads look like they are a different scale. I wish anyone would make decent looking miniatures of this time period.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:07:43 AM by Breazer »

Offline monkeylite

• Scientist
    • Moedlhafen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 07:11:52 AM »
nevermind
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:39:29 AM by monkeylite »

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 08:03:10 AM »
While trying to avoid this becoming the old chesnut of the 'plastics v metals debate, I will counter that there are plenty of bad metal miniatures out there too- even supposedly 'good' ones often have a good number of ropey poses in the packs. Chief offender for me would be that bent arms often are too short, only looking 'right' when viewed from one angle.
I think lots of plastics suffer from the shoddy way that some people put them together, including the producers of them...

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 12:19:55 PM »
The forearm of the one second from the left front rank... Is it the pj or does there really hide some crossbreed Simian under all that armour  lol.
Leadhead