Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689239
  • Total Topics: 118265
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New plastics 7YW from Ebor  (Read 5064 times)

Offline Curassier

• Scientist
Re: New plastics 7YW from Ebor
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2018, 04:24:02 PM »
It is a worthy project and the initial sculpts are nice but the economics of plastic production just don't strike me as being
appropriate to this period. With such good sculpts I would have preferred metal miniatures and something approaching an ambition for a full range for at least one army.

It is a shame because a "new" Seven Years War range in the chunkier style (ie unlike the lovely Minden and Crann Tara figures which have their own appeal) is much needed. The Foundry offerings are very old now though still nice and Black Hussar's pace of production is glacial.

Ebor should emulate what he has done for the earlier Marlburian and GNW era and do a full range in metal.

But i wish the project well nonetheless.

Curassier

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
It's a noble idea bound to fail for several reasons:

1. Your marketing of this is appalling. On your tmp press release the title doesn't even mention they are plastics! That alone would double the interest.

2. Zilch on social media. Kickstarters need momentum.

3. Jusy one box of one type of figure for such a niche period is an incredible risk.  Could you expand it to cover all French infantry options plus any other swaps, options you can, to expand it otherwise, you're selling one box but people will still have to spend a fortune on metal for the rest.
My Great Norther War Project Blog: GNW Gaming

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2018, 04:28:22 PM »
Jazbo, I agree with most of what you say. I disagree about the need for multiple boxes for French infantry. A plastic box with infantry in turnbacks, with tricornes or bearskins could cover all the infantry needs in most major battles. The box probably is not perfect for guards, but these were rare in the SYW. They are also not perfect for legion infantry, but as I recall the main difference is the head, which could be covered by separate metal heads. In any case, separate light troops were peripheral in most major battles. Some people might prefer French without turnbacks, but as a first release the turnbacks make more sense as they can be reasonably used for an entire French army. Rather than having multiple infantry boxes, a box of line cavalry would be much more useful - although I cant say whether it would be economically feasible.

I might also say that I wonder whether a box of Prussian infantry isn't more feasible. The uniform was used by many states in Germany, and the figures could be reasonably used for Hessians in the AWI.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 04:34:12 PM by delbruck »

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2018, 06:04:06 PM »
To counter the pessimism exhibited in this thread; some plus points are that the existing green is superb (why don’t we see more of Matt Bickley’s Work?) Secondly there seems to have been a chorus of whining for this period to be addressed in plastic since the first of the modern hard plastic figures appeared. Also the GB Pound is very cheap right now for overseas buyers.  Ebor have run a successful Kickstarter campaign previously (although for metal figures) so they are not complete novices.

I will back this campaign even though I don’t need any more French infantry. Plastics make conversions very easy and I would be very surprised if the range didn’t expand into metal figures on the back of a successful Kickstarter.

Offline Renaud

• Bookworm
  • Butterfly hunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
To counter the pessimism exhibited in this thread; some plus points are that the existing green is superb (why don’t we see more of Matt Bickley’s Work?) Secondly there seems to have been a chorus of whining for this period to be addressed in plastic since the first of the modern hard plastic figures appeared. Also the GB Pound is very cheap right now for overseas buyers.  Ebor have run a successful Kickstarter campaign previously (although for metal figures) so they are not complete novices.

I will back this campaign even though I don’t need any more French infantry. Plastics make conversions very easy and I would be very surprised if the range didn’t expand into metal figures on the back of a successful Kickstarter.
Yes! And while many people are now spoilt by very professional crowdfunding, the fact is it is best meant for these kind of projects, where the author invests more in the products than in the marketing. Here we have an established brand, small but with good renown in our hobby, and its only "easy" access to the funds needed to produce plastics is through us.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 08:10:22 PM by Renaud »

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2018, 07:17:19 PM »
A great idea but lacking in so many key areas, as others have rightly said. This is not about being negative but about the fact that if you want to be successful in raising funds you have to be able to pitch your idea in a much more convincing manner.

The 3-ups look descent enough....Renedra will do the production, which is good...but as others said, there is no 'buzz' about the entire project to get people to 'buy'. This project is just doomed to failure...not because the idea isn't good but rather the pitch is just lousy....sorry....but the guy doing this really needs to learn how to properly market a product.

Moreover, why only 2 different marching poses for 30 figs??? I can understand the costing ideas but if you do 3 standard body marching poses you can then do the arms separately to create a load of variety. It will also making casting easier, as you can get better detail out of the 3-ups. Yes, people will have to put them together but let's face it, those that will invest in this project will make that effort.

As I said, a great idea and I would love for it to succeed...but sadly I can't see this one making it.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 07:35:50 PM »
Yes! And while many people are now spoilt by very professional crowdfunding, the fact is it is best meant for these kind of projects, where the author invest more in the products than in the marketing. Here we have an established brand, small but with good renown in our hobby, and its only "easy" access to the funds needed to produce plastics is through us.

I absolutely agree, and I'm not entirely happy with all the kind of 'bound to fail' talk in some posts. We can do our part in spreading the word about this, and we can make suggestions, but I think it's rather bold to post "this is going to fail, and here's why".

Nothing more off-putting than a loud and sleek KS. Sure, this one's rather at the other end of the spectrum, but even if it doesn't fund - who cares? Put it up again, right? With some lessons learned and some tweaks made.

Offline nikephorous

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2018, 12:14:40 PM »
I for one will be offering up a sizeable wad of cash once these have been released.

I feel that the failure of Wargames Factory/Warlord and their WSS due to unattractive sculpts has not helped the period as far as companies risk/reward calculations go.

The on the other hand........ Looking forward to the Prussian or British/Hanoverian offering.... hint......

John
Who decided a 6 was good and a 1 was bad anyway?

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2018, 09:21:31 PM »
I for one will be offering up a sizeable wad of cash once these have been released.

I feel that the failure of Wargames Factory/Warlord and their WSS due to unattractive sculpts has not helped the period as far as companies risk/reward calculations go.

The on the other hand........ Looking forward to the Prussian or British/Hanoverian offering.... hint......

John

Not entirely sure the WSS range failed. I mean I don't have any sales numbers. I guess the plastics are serviceable for massed armies and for the time when they were released. I think the problem is more that the WSS isn't among the more "popular" wars and let's not forget that the trend, even then, already went in a fantasy skirmish direction.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2018, 10:24:10 PM »
Nice looking sculpts but I already have masses of unpainted Front Rank SYW French to paint.

If they could be scaled down to 15/18mm then I would be interested.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline jazbo

• Librarian
    • My GNW Project Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 09:52:14 AM »
Then do your part, the company proposing the range aren't!

It's bound to fail because of poor marketing.  That's not being negative it's being realistic having been in marketing and kickstarter projects for years.

The guy hasn't even found and followed a "kickstarter 101" guide for crying out loud.

You get out what you put in.  Is Ebor sending the message "we will pull out all the stops to make this happen" ?

No.

I absolutely agree, and I'm not entirely happy with all the kind of 'bound to fail' talk in some posts. We can do our part in spreading the word about this, and we can make suggestions, but I think it's rather bold to post "this is going to fail, and here's why".

Nothing more off-putting than a loud and sleek KS. Sure, this one's rather at the other end of the spectrum, but even if it doesn't fund - who cares? Put it up again, right? With some lessons learned and some tweaks made.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 11:38:23 AM »
At the end of the day, if you don't blow your own trumpet no one else will.

We all get sick and tired of the "ours is best, new, shiny, buy it or lose it" mantra, but a certain amount of enthusiasm and marketing is required to carry things through to a positive conclusion. I don't think that Ebor is cut out for this game - so he needs a business partner who is, simple (if he can find someone and has the ability to trust).

Once upon a time I knew a man who had somehow managed to wangle the sole regional 'global' rights for distributing the products of a VERY well known hobby brand. He cocked it up by trying to do everything without the marketing skills, and the resources. If he had the former the latter might not have been so important (this was pre-kickstarter, pretty much, and the product was already available anyway). If my friend had taken on a business partner with the skills they might both have made a packet - as it was he lost everything.

I fear something similar is happening here. We have a product that will sell once produced, but the enthusiasm to see it through, for further related releases to become available in short time, isn't.

It's not, IMHO, entirely Ebor's fault. The man has a dream, and his prospective product is top notch. The thing is, in this hobby, people are very wary of one off 'submissions' that might not lead to 'full ranges'.

BTW, I'm not marketing myself as 'the man' for the job (I didn't with my friend, though I offered the same general advice) - I'm not interested in this side of the hobby. I wish Ebor luck, but I really do suggest he gets a partner who has the drive and skill set to see things through.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 11:44:23 AM by olicana »