Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:50:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689515
  • Total Topics: 118283
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp Alley Questions: Lowering Die Type and Solo  (Read 796 times)

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
Pulp Alley Questions: Lowering Die Type and Solo
« on: May 15, 2018, 04:01:19 PM »
Hi,

I hope these are two easy ones:

1.) Let's say I'm creating a gorilla ally and take the Mindless ability. This raises the die type of Brawn and Might (to a d8 in this case) and drops the die type of Cunning and Finesse; the trouble is my drooling primate's stats are already at d6, the lowest die type available. Does this mean they just stay at d6 (so he gets the bump but not the drop) or is he not allowed to take that ability? Hope that's clear.

2.) There are a number of abilities that allow one to discard a card to do something or other (re-roll, add a dice, etc.). I assume these skills aren't useable in the Solo game (because teams don't have a hand of cards). Is this correct? Not a problem, I just want to be doing it correctly!  :)

Thank you for any help!

Offline ragsthetiger

• Scientist
  • Phantom Agent
    • rags' gallery
Re: Pulp Alley Questions: Lowering Die Type and Solo
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 05:17:16 PM »
Hi,

I hope these are two easy ones:

1.) Let's say I'm creating a gorilla ally and take the Mindless ability. This raises the die type of Brawn and Might (to a d8 in this case) and drops the die type of Cunning and Finesse; the trouble is my drooling primate's stats are already at d6, the lowest die type available. Does this mean they just stay at d6 (so he gets the bump but not the drop) or is he not allowed to take that ability? Hope that's clear.

2.) There are a number of abilities that allow one to discard a card to do something or other (re-roll, add a dice, etc.). I assume these skills aren't useable in the Solo game (because teams don't have a hand of cards). Is this correct? Not a problem, I just want to be doing it correctly!  :)

Thank you for any help!

1)  Your unhappy gorilla will automatically fail any tests on Cunning and Finesse.  Sorry, but you can't lower a skill below d6 without suffering that result.    :(

2)  In solo play, any Solo deck card which is Attached to one of your characters counts as a card in your hand for the purpose of discard abilities. You can even discard one which is negatively affecting one of your charaters (like Held in Place, Can't Shoot, etc.) to use the ability.   :)

So, you win some and lose some.  ;)
best wishes,
rags

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 02:43:24 AM by ragsthetiger »

Offline Andy in Germany

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »
Thanks for that: it would probably have confused me later when I came across it...

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 07:41:22 PM »
Rags, that's hugely helpful. Can't thank you enough! I hadn't wrapped my head around the concept of always failing some tests...

Thanks again!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 01:25:35 AM »
Yep. They essentially get "0" dice in that situation.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.