Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686663
  • Total Topics: 118120
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: new frostgrave figures - 'sculpt' quality  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
new frostgrave figures - 'sculpt' quality
« on: May 15, 2018, 06:10:22 PM »
hmmm, interesting ...

had an email from Northstar  primarily about new figs etc for the maze of malcor ... and, while the figures shown are 3d computer renders I assume, have to say they seem to have had their A team working on this latest batch.

Much as I love GA, and think the figures are decent for the most part, NS seem to have stepped up a level with this latest batch - assuming the final figures are close to what's shown.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 06:59:15 PM by Bloggard »

Offline Roger

• Librarian
Re: new frostgrave figures - 'sculpt' quality
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »
Im looking forward to the women of frostgrave, I can see a box or two in my future  :) .
They look a bit to dressed for the cold to work in GA ,but then again I dont stick to the conventional :)

Roger
You know its a good day when, you wake up and your elbows dont hit wood :)

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 07:35:18 PM »
I got a couple of metal snakemen and the guardian recently and must say I'm impressed with the quality. It doesn't show they are digital sculpts. Of course it must be the merit of the sculptor because a computer program isn't enough, you stil need a professional sculptor to make a good product.
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 08:25:00 PM »
Hi Guys
North Star here. Thanks for noticing. What has happened is a change in the world really. When we began Frostgrave, the designers were not working digitally. Fast forward to today, the guys are preferring to sculpt digitally, we have the production process in place to cope with it and here we are. The snake-men and Guardian were sculpted digitally.
The new Maze of Malcor pictures are digital renders, which in principle I'm against showing, because they are not the figures you're buying, but actually with this batch, the 28mm miniatures really are so close to the renders I'm happy to show them.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 09:37:17 AM »
I got a couple of metal snakemen and the guardian recently and must say I'm impressed with the quality. It doesn't show they are digital sculpts. Of course it must be the merit of the sculptor because a computer program isn't enough, you stil need a professional sculptor to make a good product.

oh yes, absolutely agree.

However I would say that if the increasing use of digital sculping leads to greater consistency in size / proportions that's a good thing.

case in point GA crewmen. Very characterful sculpts, but smaller / squatter than the 'metal' figures to the point they're almost dwarfish.
when the figs are all together on the t/top it's fine I guess, but ... why?
were figure groups / types done is such isolation by different artists that such discrepancies were not noticed? Hard to believe for a non-skilled type such as myself.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:48:25 AM by Bloggard »

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:08:37 AM »
You'd believe it if you were here. It's very complicated, and for us, unavoidable. But we're working in different ways now, and I hope we can minimise the issues in future.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:33:59 AM »
Props for the casting quality on the Guardian, it was a clear step up from earlier NS metals. Looking forward to the new models, especially if they keep that level of quality.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 12:12:44 PM »
You'd believe it if you were here. It's very complicated, and for us, unavoidable. But we're working in different ways now, and I hope we can minimise the issues in future.

fair enough NN - I mean I'm exaggerating the 'issue' anyway. It's all good ultimately, and you could say the variety adds character too.

Offline giles the zog

• Scientist
    • The Lost City of Carcosa
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 04:10:11 PM »
I thought the recent metals (GA) were great.

One thing though, any chance of Northstar doing a weapons/treasure sprue like the old GW Mordheim sprue.

Those go for a fortune on e-bay so there must be a market.

I could really do with some bows and quivers separate fro hands etc, and if you mix in some treasure tokens as well....

Wandering stars, for whom is reserved, the blackness, the darkness forever.

https://thelostcityofcarcosa.com

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 06:17:00 PM »
We thought about it with the original Soldiers, but there was a limit to what we could put on the frame. The issue is cost but more importantly production time with the manufacturers. When our 'slot' comes up, do we make a new set of figures or weapons/ treasure? The figures have won each time. But as we get the figures we want done, it leaves options in future for different items.

Offline Dr. Moebius

• Scientist
  • - per aspera ad astra -
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:44:28 PM »
For me I like the 'old style' of real modelled miniatures. I am a fan of these not 100% clean and mega perfect looking miniatures. It is like with human beeings, we all not perfect :-)

That does not mean that the 'new sculpted' miniatures are looking bad, no they also look great but if I have the choice I will go for the old way.

Offline Loop

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2018, 10:53:45 AM »
We thought about it with the original Soldiers, but there was a limit to what we could put on the frame. The issue is cost but more importantly production time with the manufacturers. When our 'slot' comes up, do we make a new set of figures or weapons/ treasure? The figures have won each time. But as we get the figures we want done, it leaves options in future for different items.

I thought this was probably the case but it doesn’t stop me yearning for an accessory sprue. One of my favourite bits of the Norrhstar sprues are the bags and pouches, but I never have enough. They’re perfect for personalising more ‘uniform’ looking figures e.g. adding baggage to any medieval figure turns him from soldier to D&D style adventurer.

For me I like the 'old style' of real modelled miniatures. I am a fan of these not 100% clean and mega perfect looking miniatures. It is like with human beeings, we all not perfect :-)

I agreed whole-heartedly. There’s a certain charm to traditionally sculpted figures by the likes of Mark Copplestone.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 11:47:24 AM »
Props for the casting quality on the Guardian, it was a clear step up from earlier NS metals. Looking forward to the new models, especially if they keep that level of quality.

Did they finally step away from the double mouldlines on figures? I really like the designs, got about 1/3rd of their Frostgrave range but what stopped me from buying into their Nickstarters was their sub-par casting quality and their lack of quality control afterwards ( no, I don't have issues or a history with either Nick of Northstar figurines, it's just the lack of quality what stops me into ordering everything I want from them, including their Copplestone castings figs... ).  :?
Leadhead