Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:13:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Problem with patches of paint not drying on resin figures  (Read 784 times)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Problem with patches of paint not drying on resin figures
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:09:18 PM »
I hope I've got this in the right place, and apologise if not.

I'm painting some Black Scorpion gunslingers and am having problems on 2 of the 8 I'm working on where there are a couple of patches on the figures where the paint is refusing to dry, even when left several days.

I gave the figures a soak in warm water with washing up liquid & a good scrub with an old toothbrush, which has hitherto sufficed for my resin figures.  They've had a GW white spray undercoat & I'm using GW acrylics to paint them.  On one of the figures, this is happening in the depths of the folds of her skirt, and I'm kinda inclined to just leave it as the areas are unlikely to get touched and smudged. 

However, the other one, it is on her knee (so not exactly an area I'm likely to have missed when scrubbing).  When rubbed with a bit of tissue, the paint just comes away, leaving a small patch of bare resin.  I tried scraping & filing the knee and surrounding area in order to remove any vestige of mould release agent, then sealed the area with some (brush on) acrylic varnish, left overnight, and then tried painting that area again, but still the paint refuses to dry.  At the moment, she's about 1/3 painted so, whilst I'd rather not, I am prepared to Dettol the figure & start again if that's what it's going to take.

Has anyone encountered this before and has any good tips to resolve the issue?
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 37  Figures Painted: 6
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
Re: Problem with patches of paint not drying on resin figures
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 07:21:38 PM »
Hate when this happens  >:(

My first thought is that GW sprays aren't really primers, they aren't aggressive enough for priming resin minis. Automotive primers such as the spray can primers from Halfords have never let me down,  they really grab hold onto even troublesome tacky areas.  If switching to a stronger primer doesn't  do the job then I would contact the manufacturer of the minis- anyone who casts resin as a business expects a percentage of casts to be unusable (the catalyst might not have been fully distributed through the resin) and they'll probably send you a replacement.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 07:24:17 PM »
Yeah, you're not really going to save this. Contact Black Scorpion and get some replacements.

I'd second the recommendation for Halfords primer (apart from the white, which is a bit rubbish).
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 01:39:17 PM »
Cheers for the tips.  The annoying thing is I normally use the Halfords grey primer, then a GW undercoat, but got lazy this time - well that'll teach me.  I'll bite the bullet, give them a Dettol bath and start again with primer this time.  If it persists I'll contact Black Scorpion.