Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:09:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686510
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: This Town ...  (Read 10374 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: This Town ...
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 02:15:19 PM »
@15saway: thanks for that input. Cacti are a classic Western “meme” (I think that’s the current word of choice) but if we think of the great cattle driving years which inspire so much of Western lore, they would be travelling through mainly cacti-less areas. Similarly the settings for gold-rush themes.

Not that it really matters, the cactus, particularly the type featured in this game, just shout “Western”!

Douglas

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2018, 10:56:29 PM »
You've done a fine job on the mdf. Much better than using the as supplied buildings, although I do like the 4 Ground ones. The cactus is brilliant but I really like the dead tree from your garden, it shows some imagination.
Excellent.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2018, 05:09:46 AM »
Privet hedge?  Hmm.  If you have a good sized sage plant you can come up with great uses for the cuttings.  And if you grow grapes - and better yet if you come across wild grapes - they make great sources for modeling materials.  I've yet to get brave enough to cut into my Oregon wild grape out front, though!  Made a great harvest when the big old sage died and I cut it out.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2018, 05:59:55 AM »
You've done a fine job on the mdf. Much better than using the as supplied buildings, although I do like the 4 Ground ones.

Thanks Vagabond - i do enjoying using the pre painted Wild West MDF buildings as a starting point. Painting up the raw edges improves them straightaway and weathering brings them to life. I also paint the window and door frames, as well as the roof brackets, etc - sometimes in different colours to make the building a bit more individual. I've also started looking at adapting existing kits for greater variation, but only if I can get hold of pre-owned ones. New pre-painted MDF is not the cheapest material for kit bashing. Glad you like the dead tree - it's actually had a bit of very light grey drybrush so it matches the buildings.

Privet hedge?  Hmm.  If you have a good sized sage plant you can come up with great uses for the cuttings.  And if you grow grapes - and better yet if you come across wild grapes - they make great sources for modeling materials.  I've yet to get brave enough to cut into my Oregon wild grape out front, though!  Made a great harvest when the big old sage died and I cut it out.

Thanks for the thoughts on the tree - unfortunately, our sage bush is not a great example of the species, but Privet hedge aplenty, both in our garden and on the estate I live on in general - when the housing estate was built in the early 1920's every garden was divide by said hedge - there's still miles of it, nearly 100 years later. As for grapes, I've not seen wild ones, but we do have a local wine producer here in sunny Gloucestershire ...

RMZ

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2018, 06:40:04 AM »

I like a ghost town scenario, it reminds me of the film which I think starred Richard Widmark where the climax was an Indian attack on the bad guys who are holed up in a ghost town. Can't for the life of me remember the name.

You tease !  lol

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2018, 02:26:15 PM »
The Law and Jake Wade - shot on the east side of the Sierras so a rather 'barren' desert area, probably mostly tumble weeds and stunted trees.  It's what we call high desert out here in the west.  And, trust me, it gets bloody damned cold in the high desert - at least in southern California.  A bit north of where this was shot is the famed ghost town of Bodie, California.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
Missed this link, great work. Hope for more of this. Now I need to watch some Wild West movies from the old times...

Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2018, 09:23:51 AM »
Thanks Dirk,

Plenty to see and inspire you ...

RMZ

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2018, 04:07:10 PM »
You can find that kind of cacti here, too (South Texas).

-Michael

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2018, 11:07:03 AM »
A quick couple of photos of the completed "Cursed Church" -

RMZ

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2018, 06:12:44 PM »
I would post pictures, but my hard drive crashed and I lost all of the pictures I took in Arizona when I worked in the desert for four years (and I mean...in the desert, lol).

The famous cactus you see in your pics and others (while small by real scales) is the saguaro cactus and more or less only grows in the Sonoran Desert which spans a large portion of Mexico and Southern Arizona for the most part.

However while iconic, the desert is loaded with cactus of tons of other varieties (and guess what, they ALL SUCK).  This includes paddle cactus, and friggin' the god awful cholla cactus, etc.  You'll also see a ton of mesquite trees which are short but supremely tough (read: break your vehicle) small trees.

While the Old West didn't just occur in Arizona, the "iconic" Old West is saguaro cactii, etc.  If you google the Sonoran Desert you'll more or less see where I used to work.

Rocky, barren ground in some spots, and then thick with brush and cactus everywhere else.  Mountains are sporadic and generally stand out.  One huge feature which i haven't ever probably done or seen in Old West tables was the prevalance of "washes" or dried creek beds which are anywhere from 3'-9' deep and run through the entire area.  When its the monsoon (rainy) season for about 4-5 weeks in late August the water runs down from nearby mountains and cuts deep gorges all around the place.

The washes are kinda/sorta like this, but of often with much more defined sidewalls.

Lots of variety out there.   
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2018, 07:17:43 PM »
Thanks Elbows,

Your pics are excellent - especially the dry wash (a staple in any Western novel)

And Yeap, I know the cacti are on the small size - I'll have to think about how to make larger ones, rather than buying the Shellhole Scenics ones.

RMZ

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2018, 11:39:57 PM »
A quick couple of photos of the completed "Cursed Church" -

RMZ

That looks rather good
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2018, 12:41:07 AM »
Yep, I've held off (several occasions) buying an entire dead town...because...why don't I need one? :D

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2018, 07:14:20 AM »
Nice one Harvey, not a fan of the MDF kit myself, but you have made it look rather splendid. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing