Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:15:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zulu! A bit more progress on my Zulus, with some kitbashing!  (Read 5160 times)

Offline Gazjones

• Librarian
Re: Zulu! A bit more progress on my Zulus, with some kitbashing!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
That line of 700 Zulu looks incredible. It chills to the bone to think of those poor boys at Isandlwana facing around 20,000. Just that 700 alone would frighten me to death. Lovely work ;)

Offline Gripweed

• Assistant
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2018, 03:21:37 PM »
Well, I painted one Perry and one Warlord Brit. I like both, but prefer the Perry, so much so I just bought a second box of them. I also painted up a Zulu from a red shield regiment.

I have a quick question regarding the strap for the canteen. Was it more commonly white or would a leather brown be more proper, or perhaps a mix?

0515180910" border="0

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2018, 04:47:59 PM »

I have a quick question regarding the strap for the canteen. Was it more commonly white or would a leather brown be more proper, or perhaps a mix?

That's a good question. It was part of the 1871 valise equipment, which in its pristine condition was white for most regiments, including the leather strap on the canteen. Period photos show white, but such photos are invariably of  immaculately turned out soldiers in Home Service kit. I have yet to see a photo taken in Zululand that even shows the water bottle. To a man nobody who posed for a photo seems to have had any consideration for future war gamers as they all seem to have discarded their bottle for the photographer.

One would conclude that either bright white for newly-arrived troops or a light sandy brown for troops that had stained their gear to reduce their visibility would be the way to go. At any rate I think it would be the same colour as the rest of the leather parts of the equipment. They would either stain all of it or none of it, one would think.

I don't think the darker brown leather like your chap has on the left is quite right, but I wouldn't swear by it. I have seen it depicted that way in some of the older Ospreys, for example, but I don't know what they are basing that on. Not sure. We need an expert with a really nerdish fetish for infantry equipments to settle this one for us.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 05:09:29 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2018, 07:45:17 PM »
Having earlier said that I'd never seen a photo that showed the canteen strap on campaign I'm going to call myself a liar because I just found just such a thing in one of me books. It's a photo of some of the men of G Company 2/24th at the end of the war and their canteen straps are a pale colour (either stained or not stained white leather, it's hard to tell which in an old fuzzy B&W photo) but definitely the same colour as the rest of the straps and not "leather brown."

So at least we know that white is right (which is not necessarily the same as saying leather brown is wrong, mind).

Offline Gripweed

• Assistant
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2018, 11:06:59 PM »
Well thank you for the research, I think I will change the strap to white.  :)

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2018, 12:14:19 PM »
Hi,

I am just about to start painting some zulu figures myself.

Can you give any advice on the colour scheme for dark flesh tone?

Cheers,
Kev

All my Zulus are primed with Halfords camo brown spray ...and that's it. Army painter does the rest...Fastest way of painting up hundreds