Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:49:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 649
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New to Zombie-gaming  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
New to Zombie-gaming
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:47:24 AM »
I have for a long time nurtured a wish to create a smallish zombie game. I have a couple of survivor teams and I am eager to paint a few bikers from my lead pile. My question is whats the effective way to put together a cheap but reasonably good zombie hoard outnumbering the survivors about 10 to 1?

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
Re: New to Zombie-gaming
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 12:13:08 PM »
Studio Miniatures plastics are great and cheap, don’t be fooled by limited poses as with imaginative painting you can still get loads of variety e.g;

All the same Torso/legs.

The Wargames Factory (now Warlord?) Zombies and ‘Vixens’ are also nice but a bit more expensive now. Best to e-bay them I think.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
I second Studio Miniatures.

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=Studio+miniatures

Comparison photograph

TWD, Studio Miniatures, Crooked Dice, Warlord/Wargames Factory, TWD and TWD.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »
Thanks fellas. What about Zombicide? Do the match Studio? Are they 28mm?

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 01:36:09 PM »
Zombicide are a bit taller and slimmer than studio, IMO they don’t mix exceptionally well with other minis. They’re also a bit cartoonish in their style which again isn’t to all tastes. Still nice, though, and a good cheap horde.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 01:41:22 PM »
We have had a load of fun with Zombicide and in the right hands the figure paint up really nicely. Check the web for various painted versions. They actually are more realistic in proportion than most 28mm models - so are a bit slim compared to standard heroic metal 28mm stuff. They are on thiner bases than most gamers use as well, so that can make then shorter in comparison on the table.

P.S. The game itself is actually good as well. Maybe not the deepest game play but for a night of fairly simple Zombi killing with some tactics, it works great. It's co-op as well as you are all against the game which works well for groups. You can also make it harder or easier with house rules. ;)

Black Plague (their fantasy/medieval version) is IMO so far the best game. I'm just finishing painting mine now. :) 
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
I like the rules and figures from mantics The walking dead. Not so expansive, but the figures are very nice. Some times you can pick up special offers. Sometimes people sell their stuff, because the big Hype is over.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2018, 04:05:50 PM »
I mainly use the Wargames Factory (now Warlord Games) Zombies that I bought at a wargames show flea market backed up by a couple of boxes of Zombicide more generic looking zombies.  I also bought the Project Z game and one expansion in a sale to provide survivors.  Somtimes Warlord sells off individual sprues at half price.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=109038.msg1363326#msg1363326

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=108601.msg1356921#msg1356921

As for rules I use Akulas rules (modified).
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 06:57:01 PM »
As for rules I use Akulas rules (modified).
These rules are always worth a look. But we’re to find?
The rules from warlord are also free, I thing. As PDF on their side

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2018, 07:08:41 PM »
These rules are always worth a look. But we’re to find?
The rules from warlord are also free, I thing. As PDF on their side

PM me your email and I'll send them to you.

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 07:14:14 PM »
In addition to Studio Miniatures the Hasslefree survivors are very nice. I have the old Wargames Factory male zombies (lumpy but cheap) and the female zombies (pretty good actually). I also have a load of Studio Miniatures metal zombie miniatures which are fun and not badly priced if you pick up a bulk 'unit'.

Em4 and Forlorn Hope have some decent survivor types too in the Future Wars range (Grenadier) which are pretty cheap. I think they're older Copplestone sculpts. Forlorn Hope seems to do all his stuff on ebay now.

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2018, 07:23:48 PM »
I'll just note that the Wargames Factory zombies are not merely reprinted at a higher price by Warlord Games. The latter made some changes to the sprue that gives the zombies more pose variety (I kick myself for buying a bunch of the earlier ones published by WGF).

I know you said you are interested in working out your own rules but it never hurts to draw inspiration from existing designs. Mantic's take on The Walking Dead is wonderful for PvP gaming (in my opinion, good but not great for solo and co-op gaming). Osprey will soon be publishing Ash Barker's zombie-centric rule set, Last Days. The great advantage to Ash's game is that one only needs about 20 zombies to play, which in no way lessens the tension. If you go with something like this, you can spend a bit more on getting more distinctive zeds.

Good luck!

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2018, 07:33:33 PM »
Mantic have a couple of different options. The aforementioned Walking dead game is excellent, as are the miniatures. But there are also fantasy zombies under their kings of War range and sci fi zombies in their Deadzone range that are cheap, decent hard plastic models. The fantasy ones in particular are more or less naked apart from a few rags so would fit in ok amongst modern stuff.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
The 'new' warlord zombies are really good - not truly multipart, but enough so not to get any glaring duplicates from a box. A while ago it seemed like eBay was awash with folks clearing out Project Z stuff pretty cheaply and that seems to have kept prices down a bit.

On the rules front, I really wasn't taken with Project Z. Having played a game of Studio Miniature's forthcoming Turf War Z the rules have potential but the rule book really needed better editing as it's often difficult to find details. Still it plays reasonably well, and would have been better if I had printed off the QRS. All Things Zombie is pretty comprehensive but I just don't like the Two Hour Wargames reaction system although your mileage might vary.
The free rule set Dead Walk Again always appealed, although I never played it.
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
I am playing some TWD:AOW, the zombie AI (snigger) is better than some computer opposition on old games.

I had so many issues with the Project Z rules (the paper work in the box set I bought at Salute on release is rubbish and I printed out three versions of pdf with varying typos and errors that make it too much effort) . The only high point was Warlord's customer service which was excellent - replacement cards that were not scrambled arrived next day. Wonderful.

If you can find it, Crooked Dice's 7ombieTV (based on first edition 7TV) is worth a look. Karl might even have some (or even do a second edition?).

No More Room In Hell (Iron Ivan games) reads well, just never played it. More like an action RPG.