Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Refurbish old 28mm minis?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
Refurbish old 28mm minis?
« on: May 17, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »
I have some old 28mm cavalry that I am trying to refurbish. They have a white film in some of the recesses. I have tried to clean them with paint thinner, water, and (forgive me) saliva without success. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally, I would like to clean the entire mini without damaging the paint  job. As last resort I might try a wash, but I really didn't want to make the figures darker.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 12:23:39 PM by delbruck »

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Refurbished old 28mm minis?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »
I think probably best to strip them down to the metal and repaint to be honest.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Refurbish old 28mm minis?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
Sounds like it could be a clouding of the previous (presumably matte) varnish. Try brush applying a small amount of gloss varnish over one of the white recesses.
If it disappears you can revarnish, if it does not I would also suggest as Vodkafan. Time to invest in a good chemical paintstripper.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
Sounds like it could be a clouding of the previous (presumably matte) varnish. Try brush applying a small amount of gloss varnish over one of the white recesses.
If it disappears you can revarnish, if it does not I would also suggest as Vodkafan. Time to invest in a good chemical paintstripper.
That would be my suggestion. My wife's crazy old cat pissed in an open figure case and I ended up with some "frosting" ::) on a few of the minis. A couple of thin coats of matte varnish made it disappear.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 02:50:43 PM »
That would be my suggestion. My wife's crazy old cat pissed in an open figure case and I ended up with some "frosting" ::) on a few of the minis. A couple of thin coats of matte varnish made it disappear.

And, I assume, the stench of ammonia?  :-X
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline delbruck

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 05:05:51 PM »
Thanx all, the gloss varnish helped a lot. After the varnish I went over parts with a thinned down army painter strong tone. It didn't help that on some figures I tried cleanly with alcohol. That made the problem far worse.

The figures are old A&A Sassanids I am re-purposing as an Armenian Principalities army in ADLG. The figures are fairly well painted, and the Sassanids are being replaced by Aventine figures. I might end up doing some work to improve them even more, but I have no interest in stripping and repainting. I have a "million" unpainted figures that take priority.

Online vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 10:02:07 PM »
Ah glad it worked out well for you with a minimum of effort.  :)