Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules help needed please.  (Read 1048 times)

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
Rules help needed please.
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:55:58 PM »
Hi Chaps,

I have just ordered some figures to help complete a few skirmish armies that needed bulking out. Pretty soon I will be in a position to play a few skirmish games from Africa to the middle east as I have the models, terrain and board.

I also have a few rule sets Ospreys Black Ops, Chris Peers At Close Quarters and the Empress one sheet set. So .... is there another set I should be looking at for solo games? I have owned Force on Force and I believe that they were about to publish a second edition? Also Spectre...?

Thoughts would be welcome as would be pointers to scenarios, the film Sicario is amazing and a Mexican gang is next on the cards

Thanks in advance

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Rules help needed please.
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 08:19:02 PM »
I really really like the Spectre rules. They have a section on how to solo game.

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »
Thanks I will certainly put these at the top of the list, they do amazing gangs as well

Offline number1section1

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:14:54 PM »
First off I haven't played these rules, but I would recommend 5 core 3rd edition as it is a rule set designed for solo gaming. The rules are designed to be modular so you can add in a random opposition force or random scenarios. This guy has loads of solo battle reports so you get an idea of what the game is like http://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 06:19:35 AM »
Thanks very much for the link Number 1 this is new to me even after years of looking for war gaming sites on the internet, I shall be reading with interest.

This morning I purchased the Spectre rules and some of their figures.... expensive but you do not need many... my African militia is growing.

I will shortly be able to compare Black Ops and Spectre which should be fun.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 06:24:31 AM »

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 01:33:25 PM »
Thanks for the link, this is a fantastic website. My will power is being tested as some of the vehicles available in 20mm are art forms.

I do think that the Charge Blog is one of the best on the web.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2018, 04:10:55 AM »

Wars of Insurgency puts players in control of 3-5 squads in a man-to-man scale. Rules are easy to learn, move quick, but provide nice flavor of a modern firefight. Intended for those fringe actions in hotspots all over the globe. So, anything from Africa's wars of independence to Latin America to actions taken from the headlines of today.

Link for the rules: http://www.firstcommandwargames.com/wars-of-insurgency.html

Mike Demana
www.firstcommandwargames.com
http://leadlegionaries.blogspot.com/

Offline ulverston

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2018, 05:56:12 AM »
Thanks for the link Mike, I will certainly be taking a look. Never read anything about this set before.