Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:13:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686620
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Anno Domini 1666 kickstarter  (Read 29658 times)

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
Anno Domini 1666 kickstarter
« on: May 17, 2018, 07:57:53 PM »
My friends over at Wargamer.pl, creators of By Fire & Sword, are running their new project Anno Domini 1666 on Kickstarter. This time around the game is set in the same period as By Fire & Sword but is presented as a 28mm skirmish board game. A proper skirmish game variant will also be released for those who want to play the game on a regular tabletop with terrain.

I was lucky enough to try out the beta version last year when visiting Poland (my thoughts here -> http://anatolisgameroom.blogspot.se/2017/03/anno-domini-1666-upcoming-game-from.html ).

Now the game has finally been revealed as a long awaited Kickstarter.

The campaign has already been funded during the first 24 hours of the campaign, and it is currently being expanded with stretch goals. The game features one of my favorite settings, 17th century Europe, and you have the option to pledge for hard plastic or metal versions of the miniatures for the game as well as the stretch goals.

The rulebook and the scenario book are also available for download, just bear in mind that the rules are not finalized, and the number of scenarios may grow as the campaign progresses. The number of add-on factions and characters, maps etc will also grow during the campaign.

I will not go into full detail, as the campaign does a good job presenting both the setting, story and various factions of the game over at the Kickstarter page. But I will drop a few pictures from the campaign so that you can see what's on offer :-)

This is an excellent opportunity to get great miniatures for the "Three Musketeers", heroes of Sienkiewicz "Trilogy" and other miniatures that will not only be playable in this specific game but also possible to use with other miniature wargames due to the scale and quality of the sculpts. The campaign itself ends in 25 days.

The Kickstarter can be reached by this link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1263001724/anno-domini-1666/

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Anno Domini 1666 kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 09:56:20 AM »
I don't know how good the plastics will be, but I have the metals for Sienkiewicz heroes -I bought them at Salute 2017- and the sculpts and castings are both excellent. Rather than 28mm I would say the figures I bought are 32mm; perhaps have been scaled down a bit for the game?

I must confess that only for the quality of the sculpts, I am tempted to support the kickstarter. The only thing that stops me is that I know that it would be one game too many! I have enough games in my shelves to last several lifes. Actually what I should do is to sell a few instead thinking about buying more! Well, will see for how long I manage to stay away from this project.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 10:42:06 AM »
The figures look excellent. I especially like the French musketeers.

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 12:34:54 PM »
I have pretty high confidence that the figures will turn out really great even in plastic for two reasons:

First, the game is designed by miniature wargamers, so they can tell what is a good miniature vs what is not (unlike boardgamers who have lower standards for their board game pieces)

And second, the plastic example they showed from their factory looks great.

I'm really enjoying the campaign, but hoping they add more supernatural elements sooner rather than later.

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 12:38:34 PM »
Love the concept but I understand the 'one game too many' issue all to well and that's my major concern at this point...
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 04:04:14 PM »
They said you will be able to buy just the minis if you don't want the game, but I don't see that option "unlocked" yet. So far you can purchase all the add-ons but that will leave the heroes of the trilogy and the three musketeers locked to the core box of the game. I am however certain that these will become available in the near future during the campaign.

I saw a live stream yesterday about the quality of the sculpts. I too have a few metal minis and they are great. The plastics in the video looked very crips like wargaming plastics rather than board game components. I pledged for plastic in for my copy of the game :)

Offline Aulë

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 04:17:50 PM »
Awesome! I' m IN!.
Love the sculptures.
I have understand,  in one on the answers, that there will be rules for also a skirmish game for those who want to play a wargame instead the boardgame.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »
@Aulë
That is correct.  :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 09:54:44 AM »
Wow. I just saw this..too many good KS simultaneously.

That’s EXACTLY the kind of Fantasy I habe been looking for for ages!
Just pledged for metal, but maybe I’ll switch to plastic when they offer an „all-in“.

And I hope they add Alatriste and Red Sonya of Rogatino!

Offline Fates Fickle Finger

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
I am in! And it’s my first Kickstarter, love the overall feel and the setting. Already planning a nice 3D board.
FFF

Offline Gallahad

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
So happy to see a few more LAF people join. I keep on going back to look at the sculpts. They really are works of art that look like they will translate really well to the tabletop.  If you had to pick one, what is everyone's favorite sculpt?
I think mine is Skrzetuski. That is just such a great saber pose, and not one I've seen executed elsewhere.

Antonio is a close second.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 12:44:00 AM »
Are their miniatures available any other way than via Kickstarter ?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 06:44:48 AM »
So happy to see a few more LAF people join. I keep on going back to look at the sculpts. They really are works of art that look like they will translate really well to the tabletop.  If you had to pick one, what is everyone's favorite sculpt?
I think mine is Skrzetuski. That is just such a great saber pose, and not one I've seen executed elsewhere.

Antonio is a close second.

I liked Antonio‘s pose very much!

From the description, I have the feeling they are quite serious with their plastic quality.

What did you choose? Is the plastic good enough? Or is it worth to spend thr money for heavy metal?

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 06:50:38 AM »
If this turns into a skirmish wargame I might be interested

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 07:17:07 AM »
@ Dave Knight
Well supposedly skirmish rules will be revealed later during the campaign.

The guys at Wargamer.pl talked about skirmish rules last year when I played a demo, I too hope for skirmish rules as I think this game plays a bit similar to Malifaux (in regard to abilities and use of cards instead of dice). I can definitely see this being played on a 3x3' table with a similar number of models per side like in Frostgrave.

@DivisMal
They are quite serious about the plastic quality. I talked with one of the owners on facebook a few months before the campaign started, and he said that they would not launch the campaign until they had received sample miniatures from the factory to check that the quality of the sculpts transferred correctly to the plastics, and that the plastic they use (hard plastic) was of highest possible quality. In a recent youtube video the plastic dragoon was shown next to the metal mini and it was hard to tell them apart. I have high hopes for the plastics, which is why i pledged for plastic minis for the core box and selected add-ons.