Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:54:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: VBCW in Pembrokeshire: The Baroness de Loutson Marches on Newark!  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
I'm off to 'Partizan' this weekend, to take part in Pete Barfield's VBCW game there, so Baroness de Loutson's Slebech Castle Ladies' College Cadet Corps have received some reinforcements prior to going into action...

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2018/05/17/baroness-de-loutson-marches-on-newark/

Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: VBCW in Pembrokeshire: The Baroness de Loutson Marches on Newark!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »
What a great use of those Hinterland figures!
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:55:16 PM »
Great idea! I have a few of these but never thought of incorporating them into VBCW.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 08:36:18 PM »
What great fun.  Considering Freiherr von Lutzen's past support, I'm surprised that he also didn't provide one or two ex-Imperial German army "instructors"  (ex-Freikorps, no doubt.   

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2018, 05:59:30 AM »
What great fun.  Considering Freiherr von Lutzen's past support, I'm surprised that he also didn't provide one or two ex-Imperial German army "instructors"  (ex-Freikorps, no doubt.
Oh indeed... :)

His relatives are still due on the boat from Germany... Have you seen Empress' Freikorps figures...?  :-*

Just to drop the 'fourth wall' for a moment... The 'Baron de Loutson' is based on a real person locally (well, one person and his German granddad from the mid-1800s).  I was going to based the character purely on the granddad (the 1st Baron), as he was an East Prussian noble and officer of the Leib-Husaren, who arrived from Germany in the mid-1800s having eloped with the daughter of Lord Milford of Picton Castle, who he met while undertaking a Grand Tour in Rome.  Lord Milford was far from upset and welcomed him into the family with the gift of Slebech Castle. A renowned and popular 'nutter', he filled Slebech Estate with wolves and bears for hunting and eventually became CO of the Pembrokeshire Yeomanry, who he then drilled using the Prussian cavalry manual! The family name was also made less Germanic by changing the 'Von' to a 'De'.

When I saw the Hinterland models, I just HAD to re-write history and bring the 1st Baron forward by 80 years or so into the 1930s.  However... During my research, I discovered that the grandson of the Baron was a leading-light in the deeply odd 'English Mistery' movement of the 1930s!  This discovery was too good to be true, so I combined the two characters into one fictitious person.  However, I changed the family name, as the grandson left his dodgy political past behind him by the outbreak of WW2, was commissioned into the Welsh Guards and was then killed in Italy in 1944, so his family deserve not to have all this nonsense pop up when his name is googled...

I was also surprised to discover that a man I know at my local is a nephew of Oswald Mosely (his father married a 'Mitford Girl' and was therefore brother-in-law to Mosely, who was a fairly regular visitor until disgraced)... Another bit of local history to weave into the nonsense...

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »
I take it you mean the Tsuba miniatures ?  Great choice.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 06:38:42 AM »
I take it you mean the Tsuba miniatures ?  Great choice.
Those are they.  I couldn't remember the maker, just that they were distributed by Empress.  They're all Paul Hicks figures anyway...  :D

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 12:47:16 AM »
Hold off on buying anything as apparently the freikorps will be added to some time this year.

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 05:47:46 AM »
Hold off on buying anything as apparently the freikorps will be added to some time this year.
Ooo!