Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry French Heavy Cavalry Officer's Horses  (Read 1285 times)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
Perry French Heavy Cavalry Officer's Horses
« on: May 18, 2018, 01:24:27 PM »
I bought a box of the Perry French Heavy Cavalry.  There is only one officer's horse in the box.  Are there other options for these?  Is the dragoon officer's horse identical - it looks like the horse sprue for the French dragoons is identical, but i've not been able to find a sprue pic for the French dragoons officers.

Is it possible to supplement with horses from their metal officers packs?  (I have sworn off ever buying any more metal Perrys because of their casting issues, but I don't want every officer in the heavy cavalry on the same horse).

Offline the commissar

• Scientist
Re: Perry French Heavy Cavalry Officer's Horses
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:34:06 PM »
Pics of Dragoon officer sprue in case it helps

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/images/plastics/b_18.jpg

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:41:43 PM »
The answer to your question is yes. The dragoon officer's horse can be used for cuirassiers as is. You'll need to alter the pistol holster covers for carabiniers though, but the spare parts are included in the Perry heavy cavalry box.

Re the compatibility between Perry metal and plastic horses/riders, it's generally good, though some riders will fit certain horses better than others and vice versa. A bit of slicing and filing is usually all it takes to get an acceptable fit in the case of the most akward pairings.   

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 11:52:33 PM »
Thanks for the pointers folks.  But after fighting with this box all weekend, I decided to just give up.  I wrote it up on my blog:

paintingdistractions.wordpress.com/2018/05/20/perry-french-napoleonic-heavy-cavalry-review/
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 12:25:33 AM by aphillathehun »

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 12:55:12 AM »
Don't give into the Dark side....the Perry figures are very nice and once you get the hang of it you can do a lot with them. Yes, there is some filling to be done on the horses but the cleaning up isn't very tough. I would suggest you use a sharp X-acto blade and just scrap the mold lines off, then go over them with some Tamiya Extra Fine glue that will melt the plastic nicely so that you have a nice surface. You will need to fill the bit where the head and horse meets at the front but nothing too difficult.

For me, I would much rather work with plastic than metal....but I think that is because like you I build a lot of models.

So again, don't give up on them...but if you do, I will be happy to take your box off you, as I can always use more French Cavalry! ;)