Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:31:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Caulked TerrAin Mat - UD 23/7 re longevity  (Read 13483 times)

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
Re: Caulked TerrAin Mat - UD 25/5 Done!
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2018, 12:08:48 PM »
I'd already obtained some materials to give this a go; this thread has confirmed it and I started on mine last night. So thanks for the pics, the info and the explanations :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2018, 12:24:53 PM »
I'd already obtained some materials to give this a go; this thread has confirmed it and I started on mine last night. So thanks for the pics, the info and the explanations :)

You’re welcome and best of luck  :)
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2018, 03:04:56 PM »
Could you do water effects on a mat using clear silicone?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2018, 03:29:16 PM »
Could you do water effects on a mat using clear silicone?

As I said in the first post:

I’m a novice at mat making, so this isn’t advice just a record.  ;) :)

I haven’t tried it and to be honest I don’t think I would. A caulk mat is a flat surface and I’m not keen on river levels that sit above rather than below the main surface. If I was going to use a river I’d use a fully textured tile.  :)

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »
You can but I agree it needs to be non permanent. My answer is to cut out a river shape from basic material, caulk etc but silicone the water effect directly on , blending the river banks to match the remainder of the mat etc.

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2018, 07:26:05 AM »
It seemed too small a question to start a new topic, so I figured that a thread that drew in people interested in mats would be a good place :)

I didnt have rivers in mind, my idea was to leave a few caulk free areas on the fabric, paint those areas and then add silicone* to them, to create lakes or a swamp area.

*or some kind of clear caulk. I'm a novice with the caulk gun and the many products so I dont know how firm silicone gets when it hardens.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 07:29:14 AM by Munindk »

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2018, 11:12:29 AM »
That’s fine - ask away, no question is too small, just wanted to be clear that I’m not an expert but learning as I go along.  :)

There’s acrylic caulk - which is used for the mat as it’s very flexible and takes paint - and silicone caulk (usually smells of ‘vinegar’) which I believe shrinks more, is less flexible and can’t be painted over (though it’s possible to colour it by mixing-in say thin paint before it’s spread). I believe that silicone caulk can also be stickier, which makes it harder to achieve a smooth surface with but ideal for choppy water (which I’ve used it for). Silicone caulk comes in clear but I’m not sure if acrylic does.

Offline Danger

• Schoolboy
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2018, 12:44:15 PM »
Ooooops ! Thank heavens Sir for your timely post. I was just about to start my mat using silicone caulk......
I did try and check the nature of the caulk before purchase, but being a skinflint  of the first order, the budget caulk I obtained was more than a little vague as to its true nature. Time to regroup and analyse.
Much obliged Sir,

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 01:42:23 AM »
In the states, DAP makes a clear acrylic caulk, as well as a tan and a brown and, I think, a grey(?) (white?).  So, I'd guess other locales have clear acrylic caulk.

Offline ork56

• Librarian
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2018, 07:27:38 PM »
Great looking mat and the final flock/grass texturing is very well done.

Also check out Terrain Tutor on YouTube for his terrain lab video on acrylic caulk mats, he goes through all the materials get used and gets a bit scientific about how many layers us enough/too much etc. A very useful watch before you start to do a mat.

I had heard of caulk mats before but never seen them until the video, they are very good and remarkably cheap especially compared t a mousemat style gaming mat. Luckily for me the local gaming centre is large and well stocked with gear, but if I ever needed one for home it would definitely be on for making one.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2018, 05:22:47 AM »
I've not been on the forum for a while so missed this but just wanted to say what a great step by step you've done.

I've done a caulked mat but am finding it shedding it's flock a little but I didn't add PVA to the caulk which might make the difference,  also I just flocked it completely and so no paint binding it either, but I did use dilute PVA and hair spray as a final coat.

Your idea for the road has turned out well, I do believe you need a road through a town otherwise it looks a little strange, but your way means it can be used without the town.

Just a final note I came upon this guys blog

https://spudnick080.blogspot.com/2016/09/desert-mat-tutorial-and-thoughts.html?showComment=1526806696427#c831930275427970762

He's working with teddy bear fur which wouldn't work for placing buildings on it unless you cut specific areas out but he's using spray adhesive to fix the sand rather than caulk, which I think might be a good way forward.

And a final question, did the creases and lumps on the edge come out when you unrolled the mat?

I'm hoping to see your dessert and northern boards in the flesh later this year, and looking forward to that but I think textured mats are the way forward by eliminating the chequer board effect of tiles, at least for flat boards.

Well done with this.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2018, 08:30:15 PM »
David aka Spudnik does some really good teddy bear fur clothes, he won the Historicon 2017 Best of Theme award
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2018, 08:42:38 PM »
Thanks Vagabond  :)

Personally, I’m not a fan of teddy bear fur, thus the caulk and sand approach. I think it is something you like or something you don’t (it bothers me that mini bases don’t sit as flat as I’d like them to).

Regarding the lumps and creases, I haven’t actually laid the mat out again as I’ve been tied up with Osgiliath but I expect too soon.

:D

Edit:

Just to add, I’m still a big fan of tiles (despite the grid effect) because it’s possible to build some really detailed but versatile terrain that incorporates fall and rise in the way that a mat cannot. The mat will be great for laying out the town buildings but, for example,  I’m not at all keen to put a river on top of it. Though each to their own, of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 11:14:00 PM by Silent Invader »

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »
Im unsure of teddy bear fur in general but the desert mat is more stoney ground with clumps of grass on it, so figures will sit flush.

It was more the use of spray adhesive rather than caulk that I though of interest.

Rivers and roads, the perennial problem along with base or no base on buildings, if only there was a good solution.  ::)

Osgiliath? I don't have to look at the fantasy board do I, will I turn into a goblin or orc if I do?  lol lol

Keep up the good work.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2018, 09:12:06 AM »
Ah right. I understand.  :)

I’ve heard good reports of spray adhesive but in recent years I’ve had to avoid sprays (health issue) so it’s not something I’m ever likely to test.  :'(