Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2018, 07:10:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Caulked TerrAin Mat - UD 25/5 Done!  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Vagabond

• mad scientist
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Re: Caulked TerrAin Mat - UD 25/5 Done!
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 09:03:51 PM »
Ah right. I understand.  :)

Iíve heard good reports of spray adhesive but in recent years Iíve had to avoid sprays (health issue) so itís not something Iím ever likely to test.  :'(

I suppose glue sniffing is going to catch up with you eventually.  o_o ::) :o :D :D :D

Offline Silent Invader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
    • https://www.SilentInvader.uk
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 09:54:49 PM »
I suppose glue sniffing is going to catch up with you eventually.  o_o ::) :o :D :D :D

:D
Images from old posts are now at https://www.SilentInvader.uk

My LAF Gallery is HERE

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mad scientist
« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2018, 02:11:05 AM »
I played in a Carnage & Glory game today at Historicon, the table was covered with 1" insulation foam sheets and then hills paced on that.
Overlaid with a cloth it gave very good terrain undulations.
Trees have a pin in the base ans stick straight through the cloth into the foam.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest

Offline Silent Invader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
    • https://www.SilentInvader.uk
« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2018, 05:25:21 AM »
 :)

Mats with contours beneath are popular but Iím not into the big games where such softer, flowing changes in terrain would make a difference (or could even be accommodated  :D). As it happens, this mat - which uses a stiffer, vinyl backed oil cloth - will not gather and slump like a mat made from more flexible material such as a decorators cloth, and certainly not like a teddy bear fur mat, which is perhaps the most flexible type (being absent caulk and sand).

Iíve mentioned before but it bears repeating: this thread isnít intended as a tutorial but is simply me documenting the steps so I can repeat (or vary) them when I make another. Iím certainly not promoting the caulked mat as the optimum terrain solution as what Iíve made is very specific to the type of  games that I will play on it, the table area I have, my available storage space, the other terrain items that Iím making to use with it and, of course, my preferred aesthetic. For example, big games played out on the rolling vastness of the South African Veldt or Russian Steppes can look at their best with the Ďlong grassí and underlying structure that can be achieved with teddy bear fur. For such games, a caulked mat such as Iíve made here really would be sub-optimum.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 05:31:22 AM by Silent Invader »