Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:49:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Decrepit Monastery/Osgiliath UD 15/7 Dump of 29 images - some duplicates  (Read 29126 times)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks folks  :)

I ended up doing a bit more tonight as I painted all of the plaster with the neat glue (Evostik Extreme Wood Glue - blue bottle) , working it into the cracks. At the moment none of the chinks now goes all the way through but I’ll find out for sure tomorrow when it’s dried.

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Does the one coat usually work or does it need multiple?

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Usually one coat is enough, though I touch it up as I go along as it gets very tacky as it goes off and will hold more in a void (the glue is much thicker and quicker drying than normal PVA).

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
That does look very, very good. The vegetation placement is going to really make it pop too. Beautiful piece of terrain.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
looking good...

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Looking wonderful.  :-* :-*

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks folks .... I’ll leave it a few days before painting to be sure the glue has properly dried.

Regarding the plaster, it is not as rock hard as a hard coat finishing plaster. It is softer with (I believe) some adhesive or binder manufactured in. Before it’s fully cured it’s pretty easy to carve, though it can also crumble. Much like in a conventional brick wall, the strength in the build comes from the glue used as a mortar. As the blocks are imperfectly shaped, surface contact is reduced so as the final coat of glue - which is worked into the cracks - sets, the structure becomes more robust.

Much like any unbuttressed brick wall, the major strength is in the vertical plane. For example, if the courtyard arches are pushed horizontally, there is some give. Obviously it depends on who you play with but I expect it’ll survive my games (though not so much being fallen against or dropped on its side).

It weighs in at approximately 4kg and I can lift it by the central arch (though I don’t plan to keep doing so  ;))
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 10:18:19 AM by Silent Invader »

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Waiting for
Thanks folks .... I’ll leave it a few days before painting to be sure the glue has properly dried.

Until the glue dries, we will be coming back to admire the stages of construction, such an instructive step-by-step tutorial!
Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks  :)

While it occurs to me, I made about 1200 blocks and have about 50 whole ones left.

Cost so far has been £nil, simply because the materials were all left over from domestics DIY projects.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
Thanks - yes, free is good, in fact very, very good!   :D

It’s the end of the building stage so here are the final set images before painting and flocking:

Offline Supercollider

• Mad Scientist
Wow that's a bit tasty!  :-*

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
A once upon a time majestic building, the place where mighty Isildur lived, now pillaged, ravaged... a ruin...
Please, tell us about its dimensions!

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
 :D

It’s 60 x 40 Cm and about 23 Cm high

Offline jamesmanto

• Mad Scientist
 Looking good

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.