Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:11:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SYW Honours of War Lobositz  (Read 4177 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: SYW Honours of War Lobositz
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 09:24:04 PM »
Finally two Prussian batteries unlimber to pound Lobositz. The howitzer battery managed to set the town on fire, but the Prussian general is reluctant to advance his infantry to take the town, as two of his units were already annihilated by canister fire!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2018, 09:25:54 PM »
At his moment, the Prussians had lost four units to one Austrian.
Frederick was sad and decided to leave...

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 07:27:36 AM »
Great looking game.
Can the rules handle this amount of figures/units?

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 08:28:33 AM »
Thanks for the report. Love the shots of the cavalry actions. It's one of my favourite battles to play, and battlefields to visit. You seem to have had a lot of fun with it.

I've played it at various troop ratios, from a similar size to yours to one unit per regiment. It always proves a difficult nut to crack for the Prussians, especially if Browne comes across the Morellenbach with his main force to reinforce Lobositz.

The last time I did it I set it up like this, for Derby Worlds.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:33:37 AM by olicana »

Offline miltiades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »
very nice pics of  a wonderful game...

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2018, 07:30:52 AM »
Great looking game.
Can the rules handle this amount of figures/units?

Thank you!
Very easily I may say... under Honours of War rules, for this game Prussians have 6 brigades/groups to 5 Austrian, this being considered a medium game.
One of the pros is that you have not to take out figures or elements, so the amount of figures is not a problem.
We played another game with 8+ brigades/groups each side with players who had not much experience and it was concluded in less than three hours. 

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2018, 11:11:38 AM »
Thanks for the report. Love the shots of the cavalry actions. It's one of my favourite battles to play, and battlefields to visit. You seem to have had a lot of fun with it.

I've played it at various troop ratios, from a similar size to yours to one unit per regiment. It always proves a difficult nut to crack for the Prussians, especially if Browne comes across the Morellenbach with his main force to reinforce Lobositz.

The last time I did it I set it up like this, for Derby Worlds.

Glad you liked it!
Indeed, it is very difficult for the Prussians to win this battle, the Prussian player needs to be very careful and not to make unsupported dashing cavalry attacks in the center, but even then, as the Austrians have very good positions he needs wits and luck to dislodge them.
I frequently visit your blog, I've seen pics of the battle, splendid table setup and miniatures painted to perfection! Cheers!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »
very nice pics of  a wonderful game...

Buddy, anytime you like, we play again!

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2018, 07:59:25 PM »
Here are some shots of a time I ran this battle. This was run on the 250th anniversary of the battle on the battlefield at Lovosice (Lobositz). The hall was roughly where the Austrian cavalry were by the town. The guys in costume are re-enactors who were also there for the event.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
That's a nice set up WFG', and I like the way the table extends to cover the 'game park' at the far end of Sullowitz and beyond. I was unable to fit that part of the battlefield on table (12 x 6) using 28mm, though I did seriously think about it. It makes such a perfect 'secure flank' for Browne's main force behind the Morellenbach. Next time I set this battle up I think I'll do it on a 15 x 6 (my table to full extension) and ask for a bigger table (even if show organisers prefer 12 x 6 demo games) at the next show we take the game to. I doubt it will make any difference to how the game plays, but it is certainly a 'nice to have' and looks especially good in the shots posted by WFGamers.

Offline WFGamers

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 10:31:51 AM »
Thanks Olicana.

I should have said that this game was done by the Prague Wargames club and not WF gamers.

We did a few 'run through's' of the game before we settled on doing it the way we did. We did try a more restricted battlefield but this did seem to limit the options a little and of course using smaller scale figures space was not a problem.

So in the end we went with the full table and a twin 'victory' system - one based on who got the better of the actual fighting and the other on the Austrians being ready to withdraw (so based on a time limit). i.e. the twin conditions of the real battle and so both sides could claim 'victory'.

I think we ran the game 5 times in various locations/times. We had 1 outright Austrian victory (i.e. they routed the Prussians), 2 outright Prussian victories (i.e. the routed the Austrians before the time limit) and 2 where both could claim victory - i.e. the Prussians had the best of the fighting but the Austrians achieved their objectives .

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »
Here are some shots of a time I ran this battle. This was run on the 250th anniversary of the battle on the battlefield at Lovosice (Lobositz). The hall was roughly where the Austrian cavalry were by the town. The guys in costume are re-enactors who were also there for the event.

What a great table with an accurate depiction of the battlefield! And played on the spot! Every wargamer's dream!
And the forces magnificently arrayed for battle! What a sight!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2018, 04:37:23 PM »
That's a nice set up WFG', and I like the way the table extends to cover the 'game park' at the far end of Sullowitz and beyond. I was unable to fit that part of the battlefield on table (12 x 6) using 28mm, though I did seriously think about it. It makes such a perfect 'secure flank' for Browne's main force behind the Morellenbach. Next time I set this battle up I think I'll do it on a 15 x 6 (my table to full extension) and ask for a bigger table (even if show organisers prefer 12 x 6 demo games) at the next show we take the game to. I doubt it will make any difference to how the game plays, but it is certainly a 'nice to have' and looks especially good in the shots posted by WFGamers.

Really nice setup!
Our game was played on a 6 x 4 table using 15mm figures.
Both you and WFGamers have a keen eye for historical representations, which is much appreciated! 

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2018, 07:35:28 AM »
Thanks Olicana.

I should have said that this game was done by the Prague Wargames club and not WF gamers.

We did a few 'run through's' of the game before we settled on doing it the way we did. We did try a more restricted battlefield but this did seem to limit the options a little and of course using smaller scale figures space was not a problem.

So in the end we went with the full table and a twin 'victory' system - one based on who got the better of the actual fighting and the other on the Austrians being ready to withdraw (so based on a time limit). i.e. the twin conditions of the real battle and so both sides could claim 'victory'.

I think we ran the game 5 times in various locations/times. We had 1 outright Austrian victory (i.e. they routed the Prussians), 2 outright Prussian victories (i.e. the routed the Austrians before the time limit) and 2 where both could claim victory - i.e. the Prussians had the best of the fighting but the Austrians achieved their objectives .

I like very much the twin victory concept, I'll try to apply it in the very next historical scenario we are going to play!
Also, this system gives better prospects to the Prussian to win the game, as proved by the 5 different games you tried. Very nice idea! Thanks for sharing! Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2018, 08:39:34 AM by DintheDin »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2018, 08:09:03 AM »
The twin victory conditions do make for a very different scenario. I like the idea too.