Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Looking up skirts  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Charles92027

• Bookworm
Looking up skirts
« on: May 19, 2018, 01:10:42 AM »
I’m still trying to figure out how to paint the underside of full-bodied clothes like skirts and such. In this case I’m painting a pea coat, it comes to the top of the figure’s thigh and skirts out, but the bottom is just flat, not open like real-life. I think you all know what I mean.
How do you paint the bottom? Black? The same color as the coat, or skirt?
I have a similar problem with the filled-in triangle formed between an elbow and a gunstock.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Looking up skirts
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:00:15 AM »
I’m still trying to figure out how to paint the underside of full-bodied clothes like skirts and such. In this case I’m painting a pea coat, it comes to the top of the figure’s thigh and skirts out, but the bottom is just flat, not open like real-life. I think you all know what I mean.
How do you paint the bottom? Black? The same color as the coat, or skirt?
I have a similar problem with the filled-in triangle formed between an elbow and a gunstock.

Dark brown for over all white or yellow figures, black for everything else.

The filled in area between the gun and the body usually gets the color of the belt if there is one, the color of the gun if not.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 09:15:20 AM »
I paint the underside of such things the darkest shade I am using on that item (the one that is going in the deepest recesses, creases, etc.). Don't see any occasion to reach for a new colour when I've got one I'm already using right there. If I was the sort to undercoat in black I would probably leave it as is, but generally speaking I'm an undercoat-in-white type of guy.

Not that it matters much, as you almost never see them unless you are actively trying to look up the skirt.

Guns and elbows get decided on a case-by-case basis. I just go for whatever is going to show the least.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 10:20:12 AM »
I might be a bit crazy in this, but then I've never painted an entire army of figures wearing long coats, kilts or skirts; only individual minis or squads.

What I do is fade the bottom, from the colour it is on the outside, to black at the center of the coat/skirt. It gives the (rudimental) impression of depth, which I find more pleasing than a very stark line between the outside colour and black bottom. If we're looking at white or very lightly coloured outsides, I usually do not fade to black, but to a medium grey or brown.

I've also seen miniatures where the bottom of the filled in coat/mantle/skirt actually bulges downward, probably an artifact from the way they were cast (preventing undercuts?). I've never painted one of those, but I reckon my technique would not work there. In fact, I would not know what technique would achieve an acceptable result in those cases, and I'd probably end up cutting and filing such a bell bottom flat or even concave...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!