Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:31:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Another Evening of Sellswords - Two New Scenarios  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Another Evening of Sellswords - Two New Scenarios
« on: May 19, 2018, 07:09:14 AM »
We had another evening of playing Sellswords and Spellslingers, with two new scenarios I'd been working on. Orcs have been raiding farms and villages around the region and our party of heroes had been employed to protect one of the villages. Whilst out patrolling the party had come across a lot of orcs tracks and realised they were heading for the village. Rushing back to raise the alarm, the PCs arrive just as the first orcs are emerging from the forest surrounding the village. In the first scenario the objective is to gather up stray villagers and get them into the safety of a fortified refuge at the far end of the village. The second scenario takes place the following morning when the PCs have the task of clearing the invading orcs from the village. The PCs would heal lost HPs overnight, but not be able to carry out any other between game activities.
A game report and pictures on the blog http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.co.uk/2018/05/another-evening-of-sellswords-two-new.html

Offline Mark

• Librarian
Re: Another Evening of Sellswords - Two New Scenarios
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 01:54:11 PM »
Excellent - great to see some different scenarios.

I asked on Argonor's thread as well, but what is your experience of the maximum number of foes on the table at any one time?

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
It does depend on the scenario, after one of our earlier games we counted up 32 dead goblins at the end. But they were not all on the table at the same time. Looking at minions I reckon 24 should cover most eventualities, but that assumes you do as we do, and take dead bodies off, leaving a marker in it's place.

Of course that means 24 orcs, 24 goblins, 24 skeletons, 24 lizardmen etc. Looks like I need to get more skeletons myself.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
The random nature of the game means that minimum numbers are difficult to comment on.  In one game I kept rolling random monsters and they all ended up being trolls.  I had to use a variety of troll figures (3 Middle Earth ones, two more generic fantasy ones and even an angry treeman) to cover the six that were on the table at one time. 
Likewise, it can be hard to balance a game.  I have had games that should be challenging that end up easy due to the flow of events and others that end up rediculously hard due to failed activations and recurring failed shield and armour rolls.  In my last game I decided to kill off my current band - they survived and killed all the major opponents in detail. 
The good thing is that this is a set of rules that has a strong narrative and even an easy game can have a good story.  Repeated failed activations, on the other hand, can be frustrating but I have only had this happen once out of about 20 games.

Other scenarios I have made up have been: save the hostage; break the siege of a tower; stop a sorcerer from summoning a demon (or some similar beast).

Nice reports, Sunjester.  You have some good terrain and figures there.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 05:33:00 PM »
I have now posted the two scenarios on the blog http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-scenarios-for-sellswords-and.html

I'd appreciate any feedback if someone uses them.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 01:26:47 PM »
I have now posted the two scenarios on the blog http://grahamsgaming.blogspot.com/2018/05/new-scenarios-for-sellswords-and.html

I'd appreciate any feedback if someone uses them.
I've got a solo campaign going with time travelers stuck in Fantasyland.  I'll give them a whirl.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 10:37:35 PM »
The random nature of the game means that minimum numbers are difficult to comment on.  In one game I kept rolling random monsters and they all ended up being trolls.  I had to use a variety of troll figures (3 Middle Earth ones, two more generic fantasy ones and even an angry treeman) to cover the six that were on the table at one time. 

I've had very similar experiences. Just make sure you have a bunch of everything, and be ready to substitute if you run out of available models!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84