Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:04:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Building TWDAOW Table  (Read 5059 times)

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
Building TWDAOW Table
« on: May 19, 2018, 10:54:07 AM »
Hi everyone.

i am building a table for a convention my club is having in August, for a large TWD game. Heaps to do and i may need to scale it back a bit if time and work (and a 3 month old daughter) get in the way.

the table is going to be able to be changed, so the pieces need to be seperate rather than a sculpted table.

Starting off i am working on some of the abandoned vehicles that will be laying around.

This is the Lightning Mcqueen from Pixars cars range.

I painted the logos off, and painted over the eyes, and filled in the mouth with Brownstuff. weathered the hell out of it, and accentuated the chips it already had from whichever kid owned it before me. 

No idea what car this was, but from Pixar again. painted over the symbols and then weathered it up. added dirt above the wheels etc.

A car that is identical to Lightning Mcqueen, no idea who it is. Same styling as the others, though tried to get the dirt spatter look on it.

Small car, painted the windscreen and weathered it. one of my favourites as it came out well. added some rush and tarnish to the roofrack and lots of dust.

More to come.

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
Re: Building TWDAOW Table
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 10:55:33 AM »
And the next batch of vehicles.

This car came really beat up so just needed to accentuate the bare metal, added rush and scratches and tarnish on the metals bits. You cannot see the front but the grill is very rusted up.

The windscreen for this one was loose and came out so I decided to make the most of it. I added the zombie body from the Turf War Z zombies (which I backed with everything so I have a ton more to paint).

The rust came out really well as did the dirt but the blood was a not my favourite. I like to use the Vallejo dried blood on top of GWs blood for the blood god, but it dried up completely so I made do with army painters crusted sore, but its not as good, so I will go back to it.

This came out really well. The toy model is really nice, and I went to town making it really messy. I still need to ink the windscreen a little, I had put blutack over it when I varnished it for painting, so it would not go fuzzy and just need to dirty it up a bit.

Used a ton of GW typhus corrosion and ryza rush, and a lot of weathering powder made up into a slurry to build up the dirt. Used it as a paint as well to make it look like dirt smears over the wash I gave it.

Next step is to add a bunch of garbage bags to the inside of it, and finish the wheelie bin (and the other ones I have.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 11:07:11 AM »
They've turned out great  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 06:26:11 PM »
Very nice start.

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 10:17:43 PM »
Great! Some very clever work!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2018, 06:30:27 AM »
Continuing on the work to get the terrain completed for my Walking Dead table, i am working through the scatter terrain.

Crowd Barriers from Impudent Mortal , painted black then sprayed Averland Sunsent, inked with Sepia, and then weathered with sponged on rhinox hide/burnt umber (once i realised how much rhinox i was using), then Ryza Rust, and then silver to make it looked rusted and chipped.

Smaller Crowd barriers, also from Impudent Mortal (same set as the other barriers). Mournfang Brown, inked with Agrax and then drybrushed with Tyrant Skull. i am going to add some hazard strips to them, if i get time before the event.

Large Rubbish Skips. again from Impudent Mortal , sprayed black and then Averland Sunset (not being too worried about coverage. inked with Vallejo Sepia ink, sponged on burnt umber, then rust, and then silver. inside, i painted with warlock bronze, and then rust and silver.
I am going to add rubbish bags and or corpses/zombies if i get time.

More Rubbish Skips, Same Set as the large bins. the green ones were sprayed black and then deathguard green, inked with Sepia, and then drybrushed with nurgling green before the usual burn umber, ryza and silver sponging. inside i used a lot more burnt umber and warlock bronze.
the blue ones were sprayed Maccrage blue over the black, then inked Agrax (which came out quite heavy and showed it to be a very deep almost oily colour), drybrushed chrons blue, and then the usual weathering.

I am going to add rubbish bags and or corpses/zombies if i get time.

Some Sewer lids, sprayed black and then leadblecher, incked black and also agrax, heavy sponging of burnt umber and then ryza and silver. Used to represent rage zombies or ghouls coming out of the sewers in the game.

Selection of small bins. the top Bins and the bottom ones came from Miniature Scenery. The top bins were simply leadbelcher over black, with burnt umber, ryza and silver. The bottom ones, the green is Caliban green inked black, drybrushed niblet green, and then sponged and rhinox and golgfags brown. the lids painted Army painter dragon red, inked black and then drybrushed astorath red and sponged the same browns. the bins were coloured to match the local wheeliebins we use. No silver or rust was used as the bins are meant to be plastic.

the middle bins are part of the Mantic games, mars attack scenery pack. the Red bins were painted the same as the wheelie bin lids, but with the rust and silver additions. the blue ones are maccrage blue, inked black, drybrushed chronus and then same rust plan.

Some Pallets i designed on my laser cutter, these are actually the draft ones, i made better versions, but these are slightly larger so i am using for this table. sprayed rhinox, inked agrax, drybrushed verminlord, and then drybrushed tyrant skull.

A water Tower from Impudent Mortal again.  I did not like the original plan outside and domed top so i added textured plasticard to the top, and then made the walls out of corrugated coke cans (cheaper than buying other foil and just as good) using a corrugator i got from Greenstuff World. the tophalf was sprayed black and then dragon red, no ink, but sponged burnt umber, ryza and silver. The frame was sprayed leadbelcher and the sponged on a lot of Dragon red, then burnt umber etc. Came up really well. If i get a chance and i can work out how to do it, i may add a logo or some graffiti to the sides of it. i lost the ladder somewhere in my terrain boxes, so nothing there till i find it.

i have some other bits nearly finished so more to come, and then back to more cars, and i bought a bunch of stuff from TT combat so will have that to add to it all as well. 
Any questions or comments let me know.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2018, 07:25:16 AM »
That looks really good.

I did wonder why coke cans were being made corrugated ^__^

That corrugater looks useful.

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 02:32:25 AM »
Continuing the build of scatter terrain for my Walking Dead table for Call to Arms in August. At this pace I am hoping to be able to work on the miniatures sooner than planned.
To save me retyping it everytime here is a reminder of my ‘rust’ recipe. Base colour and hten ink with black or sepia or agrax, then highlight with normal highlight colour. Sponge or dab on burnt umber/ rhinox hide, then do the same with Ryza Rust, and then finish with silver (sparingly).

A series of the Mantic Barriers, the browns are the mantic fur brown base. The photos are a bit dark and I am considering repainting the seats to be a brighter colour on the seat part, the brown fades in a bit.

This is the Miniature Scenery forklift, I have another one to paint which I will do less rusted, but this one is meant to be abandoned and run down. The yellow is not as obvious as I would like, so for future ones I may do a brighter base yellow rather than Averland Sunset I usually use.

I designed these containers myself years ago, and still have the molds for them, I pour them in Resin. I had already painted them so this is to show the difference between the normal and the rusted up version.  The containers are great as they are easy to stack and easy to paint as they take a drybrush really well.
As always, any questions and comments let me know.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 08:45:56 AM »
Nice containers.

As you made the moulds, you could make wall versions like in the Belgian series Cordon (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3560430/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn) or the US remake Containment (https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3560430/?ref_=tt_trv_cnn).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 09:20:26 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 01:22:27 AM »
looks like an interesting show. i could definitely make some walls from the container molds, just would have to work out how to texture the inside part, but would not be too difficult. thanks for the idea.

Alan

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 07:30:22 AM »
The walls are just stacked containers (laid like bricks with the occasional cross box - think Flemish bond).

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2018, 09:43:59 AM »
Finally got the bug again to get some more stuff finished. i had minor surgery last week and it knocked me for 6, and took me a bit longer to recover than expected.

So i spent time in the workshop saturday and finished off the following things.

On all items i used Tile Grout for the dirt, which was interesting, its really dense and so gets everywhere. not sure i would use it again as if you spill any of it on the wrong spot, its really hard to get off.

Tents:

These are the Renedra tents. I washed them with Agrax Earthshade and stippled brown on them to make them look dirty and abandoned. i am considering using some blood paint to make stains to show what happened to the last owners. for the open tents, they dont have a floor, i used plastic card to make them, and painted them the same way.

Shacks:

These are designed to represent shacks built post apocalypse from whatever is lying around. i used a mix of popsicle sticks, balsa wood, and used my corrugator again on coke can metal.

for the inside floor i used cork. the roofs come off the two that are more complete, and the last one is meant to have been looted as well.

Lots of rust effect on the metal, and silver on the edges to show where cut.

Signs:

These are from the terrain set from Mantic. i did my usual rust set up. you can see a little bit of white on the signs, and this is from the PVA. i tried a new technique of spraying the watered down PVA and it altered the areas painted, not just the grout. so i had to adapt. thankfully these were meant to look messed up so its not a huge issue (thankfully).

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2018, 06:45:40 PM »
Very nice, especially the shacks.

Offline Grendel

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2018, 10:12:21 AM »
Another Day, another batch of terrain, as we get closer to the convention.

I am going to have to make some decisions about what to paint so i can get the table as done as possible and the models painted. the good news is that most of the terrain is done, and i might just have some clean vehicles on the table, which is not the end of the world. Thankfully i have 70 zombies done already.

This is a bunch of scatter terrain i got in the Turf War Z Kickstarter. i only have a couple of pieces from that range to go.

Couch:

A nice barricade piece made up of an old couch and some bins, could also work in a univ ersity student scenario. I spray based monster brown, painted the other bits their colours and used a light brown for the matress. Washed the lot in Agrax earthshade, and then drybrushed with a lighter colour.

I also stippled some bits of green onto bits of the couch and mattress to represent mold etc.

Cans and Bins

The cans i based Mephiston Red, inked Agrax and then dirtied and rusted. for fun i painted the bottom as well so i can have them tipped over. the Rubbish bins were simply metal, inked black, drybrushed and rusted and then the bottoms done as well.

Phone Box

Sprayed Army Painter Dragon Red, inked Agrax, and then stippled with Burnt Umber. the windows were done with Eshin Grey and then inked black and Agrax with a very light stipple of P3 Menoth white base to make it look like dirt.

Recycle Bin

I think i have a lot of Recycle bins now. this was sprayed death guard green, inked Agraz, rusted with burnt umber and orange, and then silver, and the bottom painted as well.  the lid was done with red, and agrax, drybrushed and then stippled brown, no rust as its meant to be plastic.

Station Wagon

A very cool car, nice cast, and with hardly any cleaning underneath it. the wheels were simply glued on, and i will go back and put some greenstuff on then to hold them on just in case.

the car was sprayed GW yellow spray, inked Agrax, drybrushed a lighter yellow and tyrant skull. then stippled with burnt umber, a bit of rust and silver.

the ink and the texture of the car made it easy to look dirty. the windows were eshin grey with black ink and then stippled menoth white base.

Whiteware

Very cool pieces. i sprayed them grey and then a light spray of white. i inked them with Seraphim sepia but wiped a lot of it off, leaving it in the gaps and a light sheen.

then my usual stipple of burnt umber, cadmium orange rust and silver edges. i also did the bottoms but with more rust and stuff, so i can have them tipped over.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2018, 03:02:27 AM »
Very nice!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza