Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:31:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686536
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The saddest table  (Read 13148 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The saddest table
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 01:29:23 AM »
There is a sort of grim amusement in how the dismal just stretches on seemingly forever.  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 05:19:37 AM »
World's most expensive figures, World cheapest terrain lol
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2018, 06:33:42 AM »
Where did you get that quote from Fram? Please tell me the original poster is being sarcastic when they say ‘ knocked it out of the park!’?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2018, 07:28:36 AM »
World's most expensive figures, World cheapest terrain lol
yet the terrain would be marketed as high end top quality playing pieces. 50 pounds per piece of GW brand polystyrene.

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2018, 07:39:13 AM »
Ugh, the first impression is that of a quickly churned out most basic of tables, with obviously a shortage of paint to even cover the polystyrene fully. But then comes the realisation that all tables are exactly the same, and made to be entirely symmetrical. Heaven forbids you'd have any kind of interesting terrain, where choosing board sides means something, different armies get different advantages depending on where you are for what kind of mission. Probably thought up by the same people who want to take randomness out of dice games. At this stage, why not simply play chess, to ensure both sides are identical and balanced (just to decide who plays white of course.. best of 100 games, 50 with each?).
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2018, 07:54:34 AM »
Wow those tables are truly awful.
The immersion is the best thing about wargaming in my opinion and this set up does nothing.
I don't enter tournaments but if I paid £50 and was welcomed by this I think that I'd ask for my money back.
Did the event sneak up on the organisers?
With such a small investment in time and basic craft items they could look exponentially better.

Offline Anatoli

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
I don't know if books and mugs for terrain is one step below what is seen in the picture, or would be an actual upgrade in terms of terrain quality  lol

Jesus christ, I would turn at the door if I saw something like that, regardless of the entry fee....

Offline olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2018, 08:22:11 AM »
Very depressing

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2018, 08:24:26 AM »
But then comes the realisation that all tables are exactly the same, and made to be entirely symmetrical.

Yeah I noticed that.... they are all identical! They actually seem to have gone to a lot of effort to make it so. How odd.

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »
Oh dear  :( :(

I can understand that they wanted every table to be the same, to not give a terrain advantage, but I’m sure they could have put some actual effort into it.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 09:09:37 AM »
We are running an event in October (Bolt Action at the Ribble Rumble in Stockport 20-21 October - sold out for now!) our starting point was what terrain do we have.  Between the three of us we could muster 10 decent tables easily, and another 2 at a squeeze, then we'd be looking to organise borrowing terrain. 

If we can't fill the table to our satisfaction then we won't even try to put it on. 

saw pics of an event in Europe where they use flat card taped to the table as terrain.  I realise it was a feature of the system needing exact terrain but why bother painting things if you are playing on a 2d surface?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2018, 09:17:29 AM »
Well, normally I don't have much time for the self-appointed hanging judges of the hobby, those with the annoying tendency to say "If you don't do the hobby how I do the hobby then you are doing the hobby wrong!", because if people are having fun that's all that matters.

But even I think that is a bit sad.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2018, 09:21:21 AM »
Well, normally I don't have much time for the self-appointed hanging judges of the hobby, those with the annoying tendency to say "If you don't do the hobby how I do the hobby then you are doing the hobby wrong!", because if people are having fun that's all that matters.

But even I think that is a bit sad.

I'm the same - I think everyone should do the hobby their way if they're enjoying themselves, but these tables look depressing. No amount of strong imagination could get immersed in that! :)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2018, 09:46:33 AM »
Competetive gaming often leads to depressing terrain. As I was exiting the Warmachine competition scene, 2D terrain was becoming popular. Still, the photo in this thread is almost worse then flat pictures of roofs and canopies.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 10:01:12 AM »
Where did you get that quote from Fram? Please tell me the original poster is being sarcastic when they say ‘ knocked it out of the park!’?

A friend of mine found it on Facebook. And yes, the comment is quite plainly sarcastic.