Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:53:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Jungle Terrain Sections  (Read 5833 times)

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
Jungle Terrain Sections
« on: May 20, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »
I just finished some Jungle Terrain sections for my upcoming Historicon game (DAK & Dragons 2.0).  These were inspired by a video series on the Terrain Tutor youtube channel but probably not executed as well.

I really like how they came out, especially the bamboo sections.  The plant spacing was done to ensure figures could move through the terrain as these sections will be used with a variety of rulesets.  I did try to add vines but those became really cumbersome and reduced playability so that idea was abandoned.

There are 24 sections which were cut from a 1/4 inch 2x4 sheet of hardboard with one side being a blackboard  - that side faces down and I've found having the finish both prevents the plates from warping and ensures they don't catch any ground flocking.  All of the vegitation was sourced on Amazon - the palm trees models were really cheap ($8.00 for 15) and the other "plants" were just plastic and/or aquarium plants cut up into small sizes.  I think I spent less than $75.00 on all the materials, including the hardboard.

Miles
http://lairoftheubergeek.blogspot.com

Online Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Jungle Terrain Sections
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 11:53:10 AM »
Looks good. It's not always easy to find that balance between aesthetics and playability. It looks like you've got it right.

Offline Quendil

• Mastermind
    • Quendil's World
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 11:58:17 AM »
They look really good.  I have stalled on the ones I was doing but will start again sometime

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 12:20:14 PM »
They've turned out great  8)

The only thing I would mention is the sheen on the plants but that's more of a personal thing and not an easy thing to combat.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 02:46:22 PM »
Totally agree on the shiny comment - I ran out of dullcoat and have some on order

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 06:17:11 AM »
It's not always easy to find that balance between aesthetics and playability. It looks like you've got it right.
I agree- very nice work.

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:25:45 AM »
Looks good. It's not always easy to find that balance between aesthetics and playability. It looks like you've got it right.
Exactly, nice work on those  :)

Offline jmilesr01

• Librarian
    • lair of the Uber Geek
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments.  These were a lot fun to build and I used the following steps:

Making the bases

1) Draw out the sections on the material you will use for the bases.  I used a 2ft x 4ft sheet of hardboard that has a blackboard on one side.  I've found the blackboard version of hardboard resists warping and the blackboard side also resists grabbing any material on your table top.  These are roughly $10.00 US for a 2x4 sheet

2) Cut the sections out with a jig saw and then bevel the sides with a dremel the mounts a sanding disk.  This is the most tedious step of the project so I suggest you do a large number of these at once.  It also creates a great deal of harmful dust so have a way to deal with the dust (I clamp the hose of my shop vac to my workbench).  You should also wear a respirator as the fibers are not all the friendly to one's lungs.

3) Add some height variation to the bases by glueing some EPS foam and sanding it smooth.  This is an optional step but I thing it adds some visual appeal and allows for some customization.  Again wear the respirator when sanding EPS.

4) The last step in making the bases is to texture them - I like to use a mixture of flexible tile grout and white glue - roughly 3/4 tile grout, 1/4 white glue.  I get a pre-mixed version of tile grout thats already colored (earth tone).  Put a thin layer of the grout/glue mix on and let the bases dry for 24 hours.  The result will be a rock hard covering that has a very nice texture.  Once the tile grout has dried, I then painted each section a light brown.

Plants

5) I sourced most of my plants from a trip to Michaels, which is a chain of art supply stores in the states.  Going to a Michaels can be a bit bewildering but there is a huge selection of plastic plants.  Take your time looking at the plants and remember your looking for things you can take apart and use for plants.  I  sourced some model railroad scale palm trees from Amazon that look good and are are cheap - $8.00 US for 15. Lastly, I found some scale bamboo on Amazon for $12.00 for 100 stalks.  Lastly, I used some left over Noch deciduous trees also just for variation.  Remember that Amazon Prime is your friend when making terrain!

6) Cut up your plants into the sizes you want to use - I ended up with 6 different types plus the plan and deciders trees.  I put them all in separate piles and then attached them with a hot glue gun.  This part was a lot of fun and I had an unpainted figure on hand to use to make sure I kept the spacing wide enough for figures to move through.

One thing I do recommend is that you make up a test piece before working on the whole lot.

7) once all the plants are attached.  I used some ground foam to cover the bases.  These were glued in place by covering the base with matte medium, taking care to real cover the exposed hot glue and then putting on the ground cover.  I the sprayed a little "wet water" - water with a drop of dish soap and then hit it with a mixture of matt medium and water.  Set aside to dry and it will be well fixed.

Jungle floors have a lot of materials scattered about (leaves, branches etc) - you can either do this in steps or cheat like I did and used a pre-mixed material.  Scenic Express has a line of "forrest floor" materials and I had a bag of their Adirondack blend:

http://www.sceneryexpress.com/GREEN-ADIRONDACK-BLEND-32oz/productinfo/EX897B/

I'm pretty sure this is just what they sweep off the factory floor and blend together but it worked for me.

8) the last step is optional, but I decided to add some color variation other than greens to the sections and was able to use some of the flowering tufts I've picked up along the way.

In full disclosure, I "stole" almost all of these steps from a series of jungle terrain videos on the "Terrain Tutor" you tube channel.  If you really want to make this type of terrain take some time to watch the videos.  Here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FTILlx01-Q&list=PLohbeH3fTP1t_DAget7DTD0IHEqC5MYBc

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 02:18:24 PM »
Very well done.
One can not have enough jungle.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 04:54:49 AM »
Very well done!

A thing I must remember to copy is the use of some deciduous trees in between the 'exotic' stuff!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline audrey

• Scientist
    • My Oubliette
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 07:28:14 PM »
I'd swear there is a dinosaur hiding behind a tree in one of the photos ;). Your jungle terrain has turned out quite well. I like the larger photos on your blog and I am going to try out the blackboard hardboard next time to see if it is more warp resistant.

thanks
-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 07:56:48 PM »
Great stuff  :)

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 08:33:08 PM »
Excellent, an awesome selection of terrain!!
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
This is just the kind of inspiration I need for getting on with my jungle project later this summer.

One thing in particular I note is your use of deciduous model trees in between all that cake/aquarium deco plastic (of which I have an abundance) - VERY effective, adding some density!  :)

And the litter/flock mix is a very nice touch, too!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2018, 12:48:17 AM »
Holy deadly sawdust, actor in tights playing a super hero!  A dremel tool for the beveling?  Man, that is way, way too much work.  Hi thee to a hardware store and get thee a belt sander.  While still some serious work, will save a lot of time.  And if you use real wood - like underlayment - it isn't nearly so unhealthy as hardboard dust.  Still good to use a mask, though.

Jungle looking good.  I have a plethora of pieces with palm trees but I want jungle without any, and some tall trees, too.