Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:18:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Eureka Miniatures Highlanders FIW uniforms: a question  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Eureka Miniatures Highlanders FIW uniforms: a question
« on: May 22, 2018, 07:05:38 PM »
Hi

I am going to paint Eureka Miniatures French-Indian War Highlanders, but I am a bit perplexed by the uniforms as sculpted in the figures. Particularly, the coats. All the images I've found, both in my books and in the Internet, show the coats with cuffs and lapels, in regimental colours. However, Eureka minis have neither cuffs nor lapels sculpted. I was hoping that somebody could confirm if any Highlander regiment that fought in America used simpler coats, without regimentals.

Thanks in advance for any information!

Offline Nic

• Librarian
Re: Eureka Miniatures Highlanders FIW uniforms: a question
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 03:25:31 AM »
Funny, I was just selling some of these in the shop 10 minutes ago.
It is fifteen years or so since we made them, but information was supplied from a chap in the US and made to his requirements. I recall the hatchet being one of the unusual features. Possibly jackets were kept as plain as possible when operating in the dense woodland of North America. Apologies I don't know the official answer.
Nic EUREKA MINIATURES

Offline Terry37

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 03:39:58 AM »
Can't say for certain, but it sounds like they are wearing their waistcoat only, which would not be unheard of.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." - Richard Adams

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2018, 05:22:27 AM »
Funny, I was just selling some of these in the shop 10 minutes ago.
It is fifteen years or so since we made them, but information was supplied from a chap in the US and made to his requirements. I recall the hatchet being one of the unusual features. Possibly jackets were kept as plain as possible when operating in the dense woodland of North America. Apologies I don't know the official answer.
Nic EUREKA MINIATURES

Yeah, I remember when you had them in the 100 Club, because I thought that I could have used them for SYW in Europe if not for the tomahawks and the leggings. What I didn't realize was that also the coat was unsual. As Terry37 says, at first I thought that they were represented in waistcoats, but the sculpt shows a jacket.

My guess is that the guy that commissioned the figures had information about the unit he wanted to represent wearing simpler coats, without tails nor cuffs, for operations in North America. It does make sense, particularly after the experience in the Monongahela. What irks me, and I know that it is absurd to obsess about such tiny detail, is that I have been unable to confirm my guess.

Anyway, thanks for your answer, Nic.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2018, 06:34:59 AM »
Could be either as waistcoats were sleeved items during the period in question. Either way paint ‘em red.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »
Yes, they are meant to be sleeved waistcoats.

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2018, 06:07:14 PM »
I have a Robert Griffing print called 'one mile to Bushy Run Station' on my wall. It also shows them in sleeved red waistcoats.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2018, 06:49:30 PM »
It also shows them in sleeved red waistcoats.

That was my first thought, as the attaching of sleeves to the red waistcoat (common to all companies in the mid-18thC, but exclusive to the light company post-1768 Warrant) was a means of producing a single-breasted jacket.  Hence the "roundabout" jacket of the AWI.  However, this usually resulted in facing-coloured cuffs being present, so not sure where that leaves us - unless in this case the sleeves were specially made from uniform off-cuts?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.