Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:46:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: AKTION No. 1 - a new magazine for wargamers  (Read 1556 times)

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
AKTION No. 1 - a new magazine for wargamers
« on: May 23, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
I came across this over on The Modelling News and thought it was worth sharing.

For full details see this link;
http://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/05/ak-interactives-new-magazines-paint.html#more

Tony

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: AKTION No. 1 - a new magazine for wargamers
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
They lost me at “cosplay market”.  lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2018, 11:55:42 PM »
They lost me at “cosplay market”.  lol

Its only three pages in the magazine.

TOC image is available here:
https://ak-interactive.com/product/aktion-no1-the-wargame-magazine/

Offline lethallee61

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 05:14:14 AM »
Yeah - I'm sorry, but having worked in RPG magazine publishing in the past - if the focus of your magazine is going to be wargaming, don't make the cover of the first issue a huge picture of a cosplayer.  ::)

Especially when the stuff inside looks pretty well put together for the wargamer/modeller.

I'd probably walk straight past that in a newsagent because it doesn't look like a wargaming mag.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 05:20:11 AM by lethallee61 »
Enjoying the game is ALWAYS more important than winning the game.

Offline Juxt

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:55:59 AM »
The content will probably be really good/useful and the models shown are all incredible, I do have a few concerns or issues though which spring to mind:

Cosplay?! Why? It's a vaguely adjacent hobby, why not dollshouses, scrapbooking, polymer clay hobbies, dressmaking? None of these really fit in a wargaming techniques magazine, neither does cosplay.  It feels like one of the editors just likes cosplay and wanted to include it for no other reason than because. 😞

Being made by a company who make their own products, is it just going to be an extended instruction manual for AK Interactive products, or is it going to give instructions and tips for using 'standard' materials?

Lastly, and this is purely my problem, but having worked in the publishing industry for a decade, I find the poor translating from Spanish (?) to English to be offputting.  It doesn't appear to have been checked thoroughly enough.

Having said all that though, if I stumble across a copy in a shop I'd almost certainly grab an issue and hope to be proven wrong.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
Lastly, and this is purely my problem, but having worked in the publishing industry for a decade, I find the poor translating from Spanish (?) to English to be offputting.  It doesn't appear to have been checked thoroughly enough.

A lot of Spanish and French publications seem to suffer from this; it often drives me nuts. So much is lost in translation and the resulting, frequently wooly, language is often hard to read. This is also the reason I never read English or German books translated into Dutch; I always read 'through' the translation, which puts me off to no end.

I don't think it can be helped much though. You need a really good translator to make sure a text is at the same time not showing through its original language and also does not have its tone/content/meaning subtly changed. Good translators cost a lot of money, and let's be realistic; a good translator that also speaks and understands our hobby language might be nigh impossible to find (and pay) ::)

Still; another hobby magazine is always welcome, even if it turns out to be an AK flavoured White Dwarf type thing. For a couple of issues, at least... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
Right...

The magazine is priced at a very reasonable €8,- on their website, so I thought; why not eh? So I plonked one in the shopping cart and proceeded to check out. Where I discovered they will only ship by courier for the princely sum of €11,- !  :o

No matter how pretty it is, I'm not spending more than twice its value to get it!

A rule I upheld back in the day when I was still trawling the clubs for girls, but apparently it has not lost any of its relevance...  :D

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 04:32:40 AM »
Tony,

Wanted to say thank you for the heads up on another magazine on the wargaming world. Appreciate it.

Thanks

Grimm

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2018, 08:02:20 AM »
Yeah, I can see it's called Aktion because it's published by AK Interactive. But they could still have called it...well...Action. It's not a cause I'd fight for, though, just a simple thought that always tiptoes through my brain when I see it done.
'Action' was the name of the British Union of Fascists newspaper, unless it's catering for the VBCW gamers...