Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:44:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Got Mirelurks?  (Read 2063 times)

Offline kalebdaark

• Bookworm
    • Warlords of the Wasteland
Got Mirelurks?
« on: February 16, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »
Hello all,

Just wanted to write a post about a favorite monster of yours and mine, Mirelurks.

Specifically, where to get minis?    Well, there's something out there that is clearly NOT a Mirelurk, so let me explain.     They are the Sponk miniatures from Khurasan.

First, although they are almost the size of a 28mm miniature human, they are in fact under their 15mm minis, so they should not be used as the listed numbers are apparently very important.   The fact that they would indeed be compatible based on actual size is irrelevant, you must pay attention to numerical values at all times rather than actual real-world issues such as "works for me - good enuf".

Second, one should never paint them in a similar color scheme as Mirelurks as this would violate everyone's sense of propriety.   

Let's start with this one:

This particular Sponk mini dons the color scheme of most Mirelurks, and you're likely already shuddering at the fundamental lack of propriety due to the similarity in color scheme.

Primed white, painted a camel brown, then given a coat of brown ink.   Highlights have be dry-brushed back on, with some lighter blended highlights on the edges.   A truly horrible job of emulating a favorite game!

The next subject was handled similarly, primed white but this time simply washed with the camel tannish/brown and brown ink only applied where object meets object, such as shell plate to shell plate.    It was then dry-brushed a very light tan with white highlights blended back in on the edges.  Just to add a bit of color, the fronts of the pincers were painted a deep red and inked with brown.   Not only similar to actual crabs but also to certain rare Mirelurks that inhabit your favorite game!

Utterly shocking!!!!

Lastly we come to one of the more rare Mirelurk color schemes - the radioactive cola infused nuclear crab.    A deep blue, with glowing innards, this is achieved by violating the rule of painting that darker colors should be deeper in the model.   The depths were painted light blue with white highlights and THEN the model was given it's blue color, using techniques similar to those outlined above.

To achieve this, you may have to line the individual plates in dark blue or black after you have painted the lighter inward colors.

Or rather....you shouldn't, because you should NEVER paint 15mm Sponk in these colors at all, because they would then be too easily mistaken for Mirelurks!    So just a cautionary tale from an old gamer.     PAINT YOUR SPONK IN COLORS OTHER THAN THOSE OUTLINED ABOVE, and also the claws are separate so a wide variety of poses can be achieved by this tiny model.    Why limit yourself?    Don't just be a slave to some computer game!

Minis available from Khurasan in their 15mm sci fi line.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 06:29:21 PM by kalebdaark »

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: Got Mirelurks?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 07:17:31 AM »
Brilliant post, Kaleb, and paint jobs to match. I agree that nobody should consider Sponks for 28mm post apoc, nor the parasachnids (sp?) or gophers that are also available. They also have a bunch of dinos that should be avoided as very cool giant lizards for 28s.

;D

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 01:06:02 AM »
I would also never ask for a comparison shot with a 28mm figure, because that would be crazy talk.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Dobbie71064

• Librarian
    • Dobbies Hobbies
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 04:24:42 AM »
I second that asking for a comparison shot being completely absurd  lol

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 05:30:42 AM »
Thank you for your public-minded approach to the socially destructive issue of exploiting unsuspecting vendors and abusing the miniatures hobby generally. These schemes should definitely never be emulated!