Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:07:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Early Imperial Romans WiP  (Read 5444 times)

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
Victrix Early Imperial Romans WiP
« on: May 24, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
Hi all, in my quest to never completely finish an army and to spread myself across all the boards on this fine forum I've started yet another project! I've always fancied an Imperial Roman army and when I see the Victrix Romans recently I couldn't resist! I've got ten assembled so far and have begun basecoating the lot but I thought I'd focus the Centurion and his Optio to start. Lovely miniatures and really fun to paint.

They're not entirely finished, I'll probably do a few more highlights and the bases need finishing but I'm pretty pleased for an evening's work!

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
Re: Victrix Early Imperial Romans WiP
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:11 PM »
Having spent a bit of today sticking warlord Romans together I'm very jealous of those, excellent paint jobs.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
They look great!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 09:20:09 PM »
Thanks both! I almost ended up with the warlord Romans but decided against them when I saw some reviews mentioning their diminutive size. I've got tomorrow off work so hoping to get some more done.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 11:32:39 PM »
Excellent start , I,d like to see more please .

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 12:35:16 AM »
I have heard that the Victrix EI Romans are the best out there. These certainly look great. Happily I am immune from your wicked attempt at seduction because I know they are plastic! hahaha what do you think of that?
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 06:01:20 AM »
I have heard that the Victrix EI Romans are the best out there. These certainly look great. Happily I am immune from your wicked attempt at seduction because I know they are plastic! hahaha what do you think of that?

Haha I think my wife would be worried to know that I'm trying to seduce people on Internet forums! Happily though even she likes these models, I think the historical aspect interests her more than my usual fare. Personally I don't mind whether a model is plastic or metal, what in particular puts you off plastic?

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 11:00:11 AM »
Haha I think my wife would be worried to know that I'm trying to seduce people on Internet forums! Happily though even she likes these models, I think the historical aspect interests her more than my usual fare. Personally I don't mind whether a model is plastic or metal, what in particular puts you off plastic?

It's the lack of weight and the fragility of thin parts. When they first came out I bought a box of the Victrix Napoleonic British and I went to work very keen putting them together. But within an hour I had broken off half a dozen bayonets.
I am (half)seriously looking at the Victrix Romans . Maybe I could swap the pila for metal ones.

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 11:45:58 AM »
Lovely painting :-*

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 05:10:56 PM »
Got some more done today!

Still WIP, the glue hasn't even dried on the static grass, but that's it for today so I thought I'd update.
It's the lack of weight and the fragility of thin parts.

Unfortunately you're right, I had the standard snap on the Signifer and had to do some very fiddly pinning to get it back on. The pilums seem much sturdier though. You don't get this trouble with heroic scale cos their weapons are thicker than their arms  :D

Offline Pinno

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 08:40:11 PM »
They look awesome. I am just waiting for 2 boxes of these to come.
Very inspiring.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 09:05:37 PM »
They look great. Lovely figures. Very clean, sharp paintwork  :)
I must resist!!!

Offline Corso

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »
Very nice work! :-*

Offline skip

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2018, 05:33:27 PM »
beautifully painted !  will you painting up enough for a large or small game?  i will be painting up enough for a full ten cohort legion

brian

Offline Exiledadmiral

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments! It seems as though everyone's got some of these on order or is desperately trying not to be tempted!
beautifully painted !  will you painting up enough for a large or small game?  i will be painting up enough for a full ten cohort legion

brian

I think I'll go for a fairly small force. Its definitely something I'll add to as I go, I fancy some war machines and cavalry. I admire your dedication to do a whole legion! It'll be great to see it as it progresses, I'll keep an eye out for it.