Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 17, 2018, 06:01:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 7478
  • Latest: CETCA
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1245947
  • Total Topics: 87837
  • Online Today: 151
  • Online Ever: 697
  • (July 31, 2016, 09:46:52 PM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story (threads combined, possible spoilers!)  (Read 5888 times)

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
Anyone seen it yet?
I don't trust newspaper/magazine reviews because often they're bunged money.

I have the day off today and, given that next week is half-term and the cinemas will be busy, I was umming and ahhing about going to see it today.

I'm still not sure.

So you understand my position.
I thought Force Awakens was a barely mediocre 5/10. I really liked Rogue One - I'll give it an 8/10. I was so  underwhelmed by Force Awakens that I knew The Last Jedi would be a packet of bugger-shite so I didn't even bother going to see it - I think I was right in that decision.

I'm still trying to desperately cling on to something in Star Wars. I liked Rogue One enough to be able to con myself that the spin off films are where it's at with me and have abandoned the Main Story. In truth, not even that deeply, I suspect that Rogue One was...well...a rogue one. And that the rot is truly there.

With that in mind, is Solo worth seeing.
I'd prefer comments and opinions from those who've actually seen it rather than just comments and opinions.

I know we all feel strong about Star Wars and what has and hasn't happened, and I do feel some kind of therapy group is needed (maybe we could set one up in a local community hall), but this isn't it.
No.
This is make or break for me.
It's simple: with my comments above in mind, is Solo worth seeing?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 06:50:42 PM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Dezmond

• scientist
Re: Star Wars: Solo
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 09:13:35 AM »
I think you will be happier if you are able to accept Star Wars is gone and move on with your life without her.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:26:12 AM by Dezmond »

Offline Comstar

• assistant
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 09:35:55 AM »
Well I went to see it twice yesterday and I would give it 7-10. Good story and lots of Easter eggs here and there. It's has good humour but only thing may jar is L3. But if you like the expanded universe you will probably actually like the droid!

I hated TLJ story but certain scenes were good. I didn't like some of the force awakens but a least was a watchable story ish. Rogue one though I really enjoyed again with an 8-10.

Cheers Matt
Cheers Matt

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »
It's not that easy to just let go of a long term relationship, Desmond.
I know you're right but it's not easy.

Forgive me if I have a little cry. I don't mean to embarrass anyone.

It's just that we've been together a long time. Yes there's been hiccups (that awful ewok episode) but we moved on from that. In all these years our relationship grew ever strong.
I accept and realise that as we grew older we may change but I thought that would keep things fresh.

Though I know you are right.

I just feel I owe this one last effort, that there could still be something between us.

I need a hug.

Offline meninobesta

• mad scientist
  • Bastard Saint, Scorn of the Earth
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 10:04:51 AM »
It's simple: with my comments above in mind, is Solo worth seeing?

Yes, it's a nice adventures film with a good ending (we can discuss this in a couple of weeks ;) ) - It's better than the new ones, but not as good as the old ones

like all start wars movies if you start to think too much about them - issues start to appear (one of the main reasons I liked so much of the old movies was because I was a kid then and just enjoyed the ride and never spent much time thinking about it)

The biggest flaw in the film were the bellow average actors chosen for Han and Lando
Cheers,
Pedro

Offline Dezmond

• scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mad scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 10:32:47 AM »
I'll get it when it comes out on dvd as I don't really do the cinema anymore.

Having said that, for my Star Wars fixes, I've just finished Rebels and have just started watching the Clone Wars cartoons for a second time.

Loads of big battles and some very enjoyable storylines, definitely worth a try. I got them on Amazon Prime when they were £4.99 a season, but that deal has ended :( I did have the DVDs at one point, but sold them to make space.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
Saw it wednesday and I'm not impressed, it's not terrible it's just a LOT of memberberries put together. Basicly they try to cram any mention of a backstory from the Original trilogy (and sequel trilogy) into 1 film. I really wished they had tried to write a decent script instead of cramming han Solo's  greatest hits into one film.

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2018, 03:58:45 PM »
Well, I went to see it.

Actually, I didn't think it was too bad.
I'd give it a 7/10.

I liked the use of music in some of the scenes. There's one in particular I'm thinking of that played some of my favourite pieces from the original scores. Shame that same scene was spoilt by being just another unnecessary CGI mess.
Han speaking wookie was a bit of an embarrassment. They should have cut that scene, or re-shot it without that bit taking place.
But, anyway, overall it was a good film. Much better than expected. Not brilliant by any means, but worth going to see if you like Star Wars. Better than the prequels and sequels.

Offline skirmisher

• bookworm
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41:42 PM »
Hi, saw and enjoyed it yesterday. It zips along nicely and has a likeable cast. Dont expect epic story telling like the others asunlike all the others it is not about a war (though there is a brief battle scene). As a guide, i liked Rogue One and disliked TLJ  Solo i give 7/10.

Ps great to see the Imperial Army on screen, and not just the elite Stormtrooper Corp

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2018, 07:50:28 PM »
Gonna see it this weekend.

Need to get the Star Wars toys out soon and get some games in  :D

Offline thebinmann

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2018, 07:51:27 PM »
Is Boba i it?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • elder god
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2018, 08:36:50 PM »
It’s good to be able to discuss Star Wars again  :)

I’m going to see it over the weekend. I have high hopes, but then I enjoyed all the recent releases in the Franchise and Rogue One in particular.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »
Is Boba i it?

No spoilers! No spoilers! (ducks behind the bar)

:D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
    • Adventure gaming
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2018, 09:01:08 PM »
I hear Bobba is getting his own flick.