Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2018, 08:33:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story (threads combined, possible spoilers!)  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Agis

• villainous mastermind
  • galactic brain
    • A.D.Publishing
Re: Star Wars: Solo
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 09:11:25 PM »
Saw SOLO today and liked it, my wife and I  enjoyed the movie but not as much as rogue one.
 For us definitely better than episode seven or eight .

The movie features some expected to visit but also some very new and original ones and of course a big surprise at the end!

We are now waiting for SOLO II...
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis - http://www.adpublishing.de

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 09:29:47 PM »
As a fan of Star Wars i enjoy all the movies and cartoons they make and Solo is no exception.
I liked the movie.
Neither better or worst than the others. Just diferent.
Rogue One is still the best for me but go and watch Solo and you will enjoy.

For us mad buggers we get lots of ideas on this one. :D ;D

"I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS..."

Offline AdmiralAndy

• lurker
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 11:26:30 PM »
Well, I went to see it.

Actually, I didn't think it was too bad.
I'd give it a 7/10.

I liked the use of music in some of the scenes. There's one in particular I'm thinking of that played some of my favourite pieces from the original scores. Shame that same scene was spoilt by being just another unnecessary CGI mess.
Han speaking wookie was a bit of an embarrassment. They should have cut that scene, or re-shot it without that bit taking place.
But, anyway, overall it was a good film. Much better than expected. Not brilliant by any means, but worth going to see if you like Star Wars. Better than the prequels and sequels.

Given your view of RO I'd said you'd probably find it a 7, the wookie speak thing, er yeah agree with that. I would have said, if you've seen Clone Wars and Rebels, then you'll like this :)

Glad you enjoyed it, I actually wonder if this series is going to get more buzz about it than episode 9.

Offline AWu

• mad scientist
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 11:38:38 PM »
Watched is yesterday. I really liked it. Not as much as Rogue One, but more than new Trilogy flicks.

Fringe of humanity is my favorite Space Opera style.
I liked modern WWII movie styled Life in the army sequence - that would baa cool movie.
What I disliked was some unnecessary scenes (like in the kessel run), I guess they have to make it interesting to minors but it was waste of screen time that could be used to flesh out characters and world immersion.

IMHO smalish stories serve Star Wars franchise much better.
That is not because there couldn't be epic stories told in it. Its because modern cinema fails to do meaningful stuff with it. Thats why new trilogy fails to interest me ... and Rogue one thanks to being in the background  could tell interesting and meaningfull story.

Solo - if little flawed because as an origin story of beloved character  had to include some baggage from previous movies - is not so good in telling meaningfull story (that could be done better really to be honest). But still is more interesting that big trillogy and promises more Solo movies free of that compulsory scenes burden.

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 07:08:12 AM »
I really liked L3 and her relationship with Lando. I thought she was better than that droid in Rogue One.

Was Boba in it? I thought so initially, but I was wrong. You'll have to see it to know what I mean. But there's something Boba in it.

Where does the film exist in the timeline? It obviously comes after Revenge Of The Sith, but before Rogue One. Which just goes to show what a kiddie snatcher Han is when he seduces Leia. The Rebellion doesn't yet exist in Solo, so Leia can only be a little baby whilst Han is an adult. I have in my mind (not sure where I got the figures, just something I remember hearing) that at the time of A New Hope Han is early 30s and Luke/Leia are 16.
Not sure that works out.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 07:52:41 AM by Humakt »

Offline NurgleHH

• scatterbrained genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 09:48:12 PM »
I saw it yesterday and was really disappointed. It started very good, but became so slow and predictable. In the moment I ask myself if J.J.Abrahams is really a good choice to bring the story on. I think part VII was also not a very good StarWars-Movie, but Solo?
I think it will divide the fans in to parts...
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Muzfish4

• scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
Saw it last night and it was alright. I rather enjoyed the jokes about the Lando's capes, vanity log and the L3 relationship stuff was interesting and most of it was okay. Not sure how it works with the timeline as one character who appears was killed before the Clone Wars and yet appears here when stormtroopers and the empire are a thing.

That aside, I liked the stuff about joining the imperial army and seeing them in action.

As a Ron Howard film it was much as one would expect in that it was serviceable but unspectacular. Wonder what it would have looked like if the Lego Movie guys who were sacked mid-film got to see it through to the end.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »
I saw it last night with my wife, my 19 year old son and his girlfriend.
Everybody enjoyed it. We will watch it again when the DVD comes out.

There were many twists and turns to the plot and most of the time this worked very well.

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2018, 05:09:50 PM »
...one character who appears was killed before the Clone Wars and yet appears here when stormtroopers and the empire are a thing...

If you're referring to the character I think you are referring to (we see a hologram of him at the end?) then I too wondered about that because I thought he was dead as well.
Then I wondered whether it was actually him or perhaps another of his race.

So I Googled it.

It is him and it turns out he didn't die after all. Apparently, for those quick enough to spot it, you'll see that he has a robotic lower half.
In the comics/books/novels etc then it is explained he didn't die and is well known about by those truly obsessed with things Star Wars. For people like myself, who only watch the films, you wouldn't know. Which I didn't; so if you Google it like I did you can gen up on why he's still alive and why he's in Solo.

Offline Comsquare

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2018, 06:24:51 PM »

It is him and it turns out he didn't die after all. Apparently, for those quick enough to spot it, you'll see that he has a robotic lower half.
In the comics/books/novels etc then it is explained he didn't die and is well known about by those truly obsessed with things Star Wars. For people like myself, who only watch the films, you wouldn't know. Which I didn't; so if you Google it like I did you can gen up on why he's still alive and why he's in Solo.

Thanks for the spoiler  >:(   ;)

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2018, 06:29:47 PM »
How can it be a spoiler when the character hasn't even been mentioned?

It could be anyone.
Well, anyone who's 'died' in one of the previous films.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2018, 06:47:44 PM »
Best off to change the thread title I think  :)

Offline Comsquare

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2018, 06:49:00 PM »
How can it be a spoiler when the character hasn't even been mentioned?

It could be anyone.
Well, anyone who's 'died' in one of the previous films.

There were not that much characters cut into halves, were there? ;)

Offline AWu

• mad scientist
Re: Star Wars: Solo ("Never tell me the SPOILERS!")
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2018, 11:50:37 PM »
Its one of the main stories of Star Wars Rebels - so him being alive is not that spoilery at all  :o

Offline Manchu

• scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: Star Wars: Solo ("Never tell me the SPOILERS!")
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 12:27:46 AM »
LOVED IT!

It looked as good or better than Rogue One. The sets were gorgeous. Unlike either TFA or TLJ, this film actually shows a visually interesting setting full of danger and intrigue and wonder. And unlike Rogue One, the characters in this movie were likeable and well-developed so that it was possible to care abput what happens to them.

There hasn't been a SW film this good since 1980.