Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 18, 2018, 08:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story (threads combined, possible spoilers!)  (Read 2699 times)

Offline audrey

• scientist
    • My Oubliette
Re: Star Wars: Solo ("Never tell me the SPOILERS!")
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2018, 02:10:30 AM »
Its one of the main stories of Star Wars Rebels - so him being alive is not that spoilery at all  :o

Plus it all started back in Clones Wars season 4 which was over 6 years ago. Though we exactly does something stop becoming a spoiler. ;)

I rather enjoyed Solo. Though I liked the supporting cast better than Solo himself. But it was way better than SW 7 & 8. I just like the fact is was more scum & villainy and less rebel & empire.

-A
Mistress of slayage

My Oubliette:
http://audreysoubliette.wordpress.com

Offline KGatch113

• bookworm
Solo Discussion ( for those who have seen it).
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2018, 02:24:48 AM »

Thought it was really good. Not Rogue One or Firefly/Serenity good, but enjoyable none the less.

Then I started thinking about something...the Kessel Run.

We've been hearing for what, 40 some years about the Falcon being a fast ship that did the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs.

From watching the movie, speed of the ship had nothing to do with the Kessel Run. It was all about the route and the navigation droid.

Now granted, that is something that Han could brag about...with the best navigation computer in the galaxy he could get from point A to B faster than a ship with lesser routes being chosen....

But I don't know about you, but when I think of the Falcon being a fast ship, I'm thinking hot rod fast, not choose the best route fast. So that disappointed me a little bit.

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
Re: Solo Discussion ( for those who have seen it).
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2018, 05:12:09 AM »
The Kessel Run scene was probably the worst part of the film.
Lots of messy and cluttering CGI (why do film producers do that? Are they really that out of touch with audiences? Do they really think that such mess impresses audiences? Use CGI to tell the story not make the story - they just don't seem to understand that).
Then there was that stupid octopus thing - just pointless and unnecessary jeopardy. Shame they couldn't have made it look like Cthulhu because then my nerd mojo would have loved the idea of them encountering Cthulhu in deep space being sucked into the vortex to dump him in our solar system. I would have smiled at that and gone with it. But just a space octopus? No.
Think back to the asteroid scene in Empire (great use of music in Solo, by the way). Yeah, I know if the graphics were available then Lucas would have ballsed it up, but thankfully it wasn't and the asteroid scene was done spot on.
Unlike the Kessel Run 'maelstrom'.

Yeah, weakest part of the whole film.

You're right, being fastest had nothing intrinsically to do with the Falcon. Short route and jungle juice poured into the engine. Which any ship could have done.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 05:15:01 AM by Humakt »

Offline AWu

• mad scientist
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2018, 10:29:08 AM »
Couldn't agree more.

My guess is it had to be attractive for younger audiences :(

But they stole time from actual story to be told.

Offline AWu

• mad scientist
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2018, 10:33:49 AM »
I think Emilia Clarke was weak link here not the Alden Ehrenrich.
Yes he was not making wow effect but she was straight disappointment.
He is just meh.

I was very much against Felicity Johns in Rogue one because she looked unfit for the part but she blown my mind. Emilia Clarke here.. not

To be fair its probably not her fault - just that her character was written very weak.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:39:37 PM by AWu »

Online Mr Tough Guy

• scientist
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »
Well you can partly blame Lucas for not knowing a parsec is a measure of distance and not time  lol

But I agree they explained it poorly, I always thought, at least I think I heard it from a friend that had read all those star wars books that originaly the legends explanaition for the Kessel Run was that it took place in an area with a lot of gravity wells or something so most ships took the long route to avoid them, but a fast ship could get closer to the gravity wells and thus take a shorter route, or something like that may not have been gravity wells but something to that effect, anyway it sounded better then the mess they made of it in the movie. I mean it's Lucas' fault for getting it wrong in the first place but I wish they would have just avoided it altogether if they didn't have a plausible way to explain it. TBH I wish they had avoided it period.

Also does it bug anyone that it went from the the Ship that made the Kessel Run in Less than 12 parsecs, to 12 parsecs if you round it down  ::)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2018, 11:31:05 AM »
I find it very disappointing that they keep turning backstory titbits into the plots for whole new films. It doesn't work for me, it makes the universe seem somehow smaller, not bigger, and it never seems to gel all that well with what we've already seen. Think up some new bloody stories if we must have more prequels! Stop making throwaway lines into whole movies. What's next? A film where we get to see "many Bothans dying" to get the scoop on the second Death Star? A film about finding Luke's hand still clutching Annakin's lightsabre somewhere on Bespin (ooh, that's the plot of your Lando movie right there), so that it can magically appear in The Force Awakens? Sigh.

That said, haven't seen it. Might be really good for all I know. Not really interested any more. Will watch it on the telly.

Something always told me they were reading Tommy wrong...

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• scientist
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2018, 01:32:51 PM »
I've only seen her in Game of Thrones before, where's she's also very much among the weaker actors. Combined with the fact that the guy playing Han seemed very unconvincing in the trailer, I've yet to decide whether or not to actually see this movie - or more accurately, whether to see it any time soon. Given the somewhat smaller scale, would you say it benefits from being watched in the cinema? For all its faults, the Last Jedi had some visually stunning shots (red sand planet springs to mind); same with the Force Awakens (which I actually really enjoyed anyway, but the crashed Star Destroyers on Jakku were worth the ticket price alone).
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Genghis

• scientist
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2018, 01:53:35 PM »
I was a bit underwhelmed by it - it's not a bad film, but not great in the way that Rogue One was.  It seemed like all they did was write a load of small set pieces/throw away scenes to explain every backstory snippet referred to in the original trilogy, and then strung the whole lot together.  Maybe that is the problem - 'fan service' at the expense of a good story, whereas Rogue One only took that one point of getting the Death Star's plans to the Rebellion (well, and explaining the Death Star's weakness), and then wrote a good story around it.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • mastermind
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2018, 02:30:08 PM »
@Coenus Scaldingus
I enjoyed it, so did my wife, so did my 19 year old son, and his 18 year old girlfriend.
Based on 4 out of 4, I think you will enjoy it.

There are plenty of big scenes where the full cinema experience is worthwhile.

Mick
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 03:49:47 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline ErikB

• mad scientist
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2018, 03:44:18 PM »
Liked it a lot!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scatterbrained genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »
Saw it yesterday, and had not watched or read anything about it beforehand.

It as entirely perfunctory as a film: no real major twists or cool new backstory additions (besides a little unrelated nod at the very end of the film to an entirely different character), nothing that contradicts the older canon (that I noticed), and nothing that was overly offensive to me as a fan of Star Wars.

At the same time, I would find it hard to recommend it to anybody over any other decent film (Star Wars or not). Because all the film does is take up the old backstory and stitch it together, it feels pretty hollow and safe and largely familiar, and I honestly don't think that I got much out of it as a result.

I'd probably give it a 6-7/10, and say that it might be worth a go if you're in a Star Wars mood. However, if you miss it entirely, I don't think you're actually missing out on much at all.

Offline NurgleHH

• scatterbrained genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2018, 04:12:54 PM »
Saw it yesterday, and had not watched or read anything about it beforehand.

It as entirely perfunctory as a film: no real major twists or cool new backstory additions (besides a little unrelated nod at the very end of the film to an entirely different character), nothing that contradicts the older canon (that I noticed), and nothing that was overly offensive to me as a fan of Star Wars.

At the same time, I would find it hard to recommend it to anybody over any other decent film (Star Wars or not). Because all the film does is take up the old backstory and stitch it together, it feels pretty hollow and safe and largely familiar, and I honestly don't think that I got much out of it as a result.

I'd probably give it a 6-7/10, and say that it might be worth a go if you're in a Star Wars mood. However, if you miss it entirely, I don't think you're actually missing out on much at all.
Good words, that is a very good review. It really not hurts, but you feels still hungry at the end.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline ErikB

• mad scientist
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2018, 04:13:10 PM »
I liked it.  It was fun and it showed more places and characters in the SW universe, including life in the Empire, obscure places, and some of the gangster world.

Offline Hobby Services

• mastermind
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:31 PM »
No opinion on the movie itself, but several copies of the toy of the Arrestor cruiser have joined my painting queue.  What a neat design, and well worthy of a bit of conversion and repainting.  Never realized how much the world needs more ship minis with big radar dish thingies on them.  :)

What ARE those things, anyway?