Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 25, 2018, 02:45:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent

Author Topic: Solo: A Star Wars Story (threads combined, possible spoilers!)  (Read 6418 times)

Offline mcfonz

• mastermind
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (threads combined, possible spoilers!)
« Reply #120 on: July 07, 2018, 09:09:13 AM »
Yup. Sorry. I realised a day after posting but couldn't be bothered to correct it.  ;D

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #121 on: July 07, 2018, 09:16:13 AM »
Think Iím going to watch it again tonight  :)

Offline Humakt

• mad scientist
« Reply #122 on: July 07, 2018, 12:05:23 PM »
I wonder if, instead of cinematic releases, they would consider doing a HBO style TV series - like Game Of Thrones, etc?
The tech is there nowadays to get it done.
That said, if it was based on a continuation of any of the new characters I couldn't see myself overly interested in it since...well...the new characters aren't overly interesting.

But Solo: The TV Series?
Yup, you can sodding well count me in for that. I think that would work better as well. It could be more episodic as well as having a consistent thread. And since Solo, as a pirate, will go from one crazy hell hole to another it will allow the producers to explore flights of fancy and if they don't work they can bail out and move on.
New characters and old ones could also appear. Again, given the format, it will allow the producers to ditch ideas that don't work and run with ones that do without being slave to them.
Ruddy hell, I missed, as a kid, looking forward to a bit of space opera once a week with Battlestar Galactica (original. Although I loved the remake as well), and I'd love the chance to be excited by a weekly Star Wars fix courtesy of Han Solo.
The more I think about it the wetter it's getting me around the clopper.
Who's up for an online petition to Disney (not that this will be the first time they've had nerds making demands off them..)?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 12:10:54 PM by Humakt »

Offline The Somnambulist

• Supporting Adventurer
  • scientist
« Reply #123 on: July 07, 2018, 01:02:54 PM »

There's a sith holocron, as well as the crystal skull of Xim the despot (Han Solo and the Lost Legacy early 80s EU novel - not as some people have thought, a prop from Indiana jones).

The golden idol from raiders Of The Lost Ark was in front of the crystal skull.
I go to pieces so fast that people get hit by the shrapnel.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • galactic brain
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #124 on: July 07, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »
@Humakt

Your show pitch sounds kind of like Firefly. I liked Firefly for the most part. I think I would watch such a show, though at this point I think I'd be more enthusiastic about a series that didn't have the Star Wars logo on it than one that did. I'm not really big on the idea of setting things back in the past of your IP's timeline. I think it is too restricting, too tempting to fill your show with Fanservice references and also too easy to mess up entirely. I don't think this approach has helped either Star Wars or Star Trek.

Having said that, I wouldn't be totally against it, and like to think I would give it a fair go before running to the internet to moan about it.

Something always told me they were reading Tommy wrong...

Offline ErikB

• mad scientist
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2018, 03:17:13 PM »
@Humakt - Good thinking.  I'd love such a show!

And Star Wars without light sabers or Force magic for a while would be refreshing.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2018, 03:24:25 PM »
For a final year project at uni we got to pick what to make but we had to justify it to the lecturers and peers. I chose to make the Radiant VII from TPM (it was only recently released) and justified by saying that Lusafilm were going to make a mini-series based on the Jedi roaming the galaxy and solving problems/mediating conflicts in a diplomatic vessel.

Plenty of scope for mini-series as long as Rian Johnson doesn't do it.

Offline Muzfish4

• scientist
« Reply #127 on: July 09, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »
The more I think about it the wetter it's getting me around the clopper.

I have no idea what these words mean, yet I know exactly what you mean.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • elder god
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2018, 02:51:42 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

Even though I really didn't like TLJ I'm still going to see Episode IX and this, to me, sounds promising  :)

I'm sure some people will think not though  ;)

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• schoolboy
« Reply #129 on: July 12, 2018, 06:37:10 PM »
I enjoyed the movie, the Mimban scenes in particular.

Offline Gailbraithe

• librarian
  • Post-Apocalyptic Librarian
« Reply #130 on: July 12, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-billy-dee-williams-returning-as-lando-calrissian-xi-1125818

Even though I really didn't like TLJ I'm still going to see Episode IX and this, to me, sounds promising  :)

I'm sure some people will think not though  ;)

I can't even imagine what Episode IX will be.  The Last Jedi was just terrible as a mid-trilogy film.  I mean, totally ignoring everything about TLJ as a film and just considering as a bridge between the first part and final part of a trilogy, it's a narrative trainwreck. 

I find I just don't care at all though.  The one two punch of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi has completely soured me on Star Wars.  The Sequel Trilogy (ST) did what even the Prequel Trilogy (PT) couldn't do, they ruined the Original Trilogy (OT). 

In the OT, Han Solo went from being a roguish smuggler with no moral compass to a hero fighting for a cause thanks to his interaction with Luke "Space Jesus" Skywalker.  The ST reveals that Han's redemption arc was actually a circle leading him back to being a scummy, roguish smuggler (who is now old and kind of pathetic) and then he gets killed.

In the OT, Luke Skywalker went from simple farm boy to Intergalactic Messiah Figure, defeating the evil Emperor and his Empire through the power of love and redemption.  The ST reveals that the Empire wasn't actually defeated, the Emperor was instantly replaced by another Emperor (excuse me, "Supreme Leader"), and Vader's evil survived his redemption to turn Luke's own nephew to evil.  Then Luke gave up, ran away to hide, and finally sacrificed his life for basically nothing.  So his whole life amounts to...basically zilch.

In the OT, Leia was a heroic leader of the Rebellion, destined to become a guiding force in the New Republic, but no it turns out in the ST that she never rose above the level of general, her Rebellion failed, the New Republic she formed was ineffective and never established itself, and basically her entire career ended in failure having accomplished none of her goals.

All of the heroes of the OT who died fighting the Empire?  The ST reveals those lives were wasted on a lost cause.

That's the problem with hitting a massive reset button because you can't tell an original story in a Saga like Star Wars, you end up having to undo everything the heroes of the original property you're soft-rebooting accomplished.  By restoring the Empire to its original glory so that they can set up its destruction at the hands of the Rebel Alliance (you know, just like in the OT) and recreating the dynamics of the original story, they accidentally nullified all of the victories and accomplishments of the heroes of the OT.

And worst of all?  Even if the Rebel Alliance defeats the Empire in Part IX, it won't mean anything, because the series has now established that you cant assume that any victory by the heroes has any lasting consequences.

Offline Dezmond

• scientist
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2018, 08:50:04 PM »
I can't even imagine what Episode IX will be.

You are not thrilled to see Disney roll out the now wheelchair bound Billy Dee Williams so they can humiliate and kill Lando?

Offline Pijlie

• mad scientist
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #132 on: July 13, 2018, 08:52:13 AM »
And worst of all?  Even if the Rebel Alliance defeats the Empire in Part IX, it won't mean anything, because the series has now established that you cant assume that any victory by the heroes has any lasting consequences.

A bit like in real life really  :D
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

Offline Dezmond

• scientist
« Reply #133 on: July 13, 2018, 10:13:31 AM »
A bit like in real life really  :D

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• scatterbrained genius
    • Ultravanillasmurf