Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:26:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 'Old Citadel Nostalgia' - an ongoing project.  (Read 105103 times)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: A Runequest rescue and restoration project
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:26 AM »
Lovely transformation  :)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Jeff965

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2018, 10:15:06 AM »
Fantastic work Cubs :-*

Offline Bloodsbane

• Scientist
  • AKA FKSN
    • I'm a drawer
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2018, 10:17:28 AM »
Congratulations, you're officially an alchemist. You've truly transformed an old lump of lead into gold!

Offline Daniel36

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »
That is gorgeous!!

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2018, 10:53:33 AM »
You, sir, are a flaming genius!  :-* 8)

It was actually me that sent him to you, he'd been lying unloved in a box for donkeys years as he was so badly miscast (as was the duplicate figure I still have). 

I'm so impressed with what you've achieved, its actually given me hope that I could rescue the other old RQ figures that I have. If I didn't know better I'd swear that was a new cast Foundry figure!

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2018, 11:37:22 AM »
You, sir, are a flaming genius!  :-* 8)

It was actually me that sent him to you, he'd been lying unloved in a box for donkeys years as he was so badly miscast (as was the duplicate figure I still have). 

I'm so impressed with what you've achieved, its actually given me hope that I could rescue the other old RQ figures that I have. If I didn't know better I'd swear that was a new cast Foundry figure!

I'm sorry I forgot you JB! I regularly clear out my messages so I'd lost the PM and just couldn't remember the kind donor. As you can see, these old models do paint up nicely. They don't have the depth of detail or crispness of newer models, but I prefer that to be honest, because it's more of a blank canvas to work from.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2018, 04:14:53 PM »
Oh that's just ridiculous old school Citadel miniatures just aren't supposed to look like that  :o

Back in the day we were all painting them in gloss enamels its amazing how good they look with a quality modern paint job.

Offline Severian

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2018, 04:45:34 PM »
A grand job on what has always been one of my favourite old RQ figures. Lovely textures (especially on the armour) and the shield is cracking. Splendid stuff.

Like many of us I suspect, I have a fair few of this range in varying states of disrepair....but they're usually great fun to fix up.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Cracking! The NMM is particularly good! :-* Any chance of a recipe?

Offline majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2018, 06:01:02 PM »
Fantastic work, I love that shield

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2018, 11:07:52 PM »
Cracking! The NMM is particularly good! :-* Any chance of a recipe?

It's a bit of a cheat really - I rarely go full NMM, I usually blend a bit of metallic paint and non-metallic to g highlights and the same is true here. The old bronze helmet was mainly dull bronze colour highlighted up with cream to make a muddy brown. Then it had a light wash with green ink, just for a hint of verdigris, topped off with a very very light drybrush of brass, just to pick up very lightly on the textured surface. The sword again was a blend of copper, brass and a little bit of light brown. Then the shade was brown ink, with the highlights copper and cream. All the final highlight dots are just light cream colour. 

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2018, 11:35:23 PM »
Stunning as ever.

Technique went straight over my head, enlarged the male pattern baldness and completely passed my level of ability by.

But thanks for sharing always.

I must practice more...

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2018, 07:36:35 AM »
It's a bit of a cheat really - I rarely go full NMM, I usually blend a bit of metallic paint and non-metallic to g highlights and the same is true here. The old bronze helmet was mainly dull bronze colour highlighted up with cream to make a muddy brown. Then it had a light wash with green ink, just for a hint of verdigris, topped off with a very very light drybrush of brass, just to pick up very lightly on the textured surface. The sword again was a blend of copper, brass and a little bit of light brown. Then the shade was brown ink, with the highlights copper and cream. All the final highlight dots are just light cream colour.

Thanks for that! I’ll need to give it a go!

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2018, 08:08:24 AM »
fantastic.
interesting what you say regarding the blank canvas - and if my skills could ever extend to it, that's just the sort of chiaroscuro I'd like to achieve on figures generally.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2018, 09:02:09 AM »
Everything about your post makes me happy - a wonderful old gem polished to a brilliant shine, and with a little bit of how-to and technique thrown in for good measure.
Top job Sir!
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com