Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:46:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First game of Sellswords and Spellslingers  (Read 1331 times)

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
First game of Sellswords and Spellslingers
« on: May 26, 2018, 06:08:20 AM »
My son and I had a game of SS&SS just an hour or so ago. We both had loads of fun.
We played Orcs and slippery stones.
I used a pyramid as the middle stone that the orcs surround at the beginning. I was tempted to put some sort of idol on top.
Here is a short AAR on how things went.
Setup: I didn't want just 8 stones as the setup as that looked rather boring so near the edges, not really playing much of a part in the game I set up some ruins and some trees.
My son had the two guys on the left. A fighter wizard called Necro (Fireball, spellcaster, fighter, tough) and a scary looking ogre battle champion called Bonecrusher (Burly, fighterx2, deadly blow, free disengage).
My guys on the right were, Borc the half-orc (Fighter x2, Strong, Heavy Drinker), He has a keg on his shoulder, Rizaldo (Weak, spellcaster, fireball) Jall (Archer, Forester, Healer) and his trusty companion, Stalker (Fighter, Martial artist, Very fast, forester, keen senses, Weak Will)
20180526_144023 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
Borc starts the game with a hangover making him rather grumpy. First he moves up onto the closest Rock. Stalker follows him while a horde activates and moves closer towards Necro and Bonecrusher.
Jall hits a big orc with 2 arrows taking him down 2 HP.
Rizaldo kills 1 goblin from the horde (not sure if it should have been 2 with 2 damage from the Fireball, we played that later on with hordes)
Bonecrusher moves in to attack the goblins and Necro misses with his fireball at new goblins that appear from the table edge.
20180526_150140 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
All the monsters activate as Borc moves to the front of the rock and engages the biggest orc.
Stalker gets ambushed and kills the lone goblin attacking him Jall is sure he hears stalker grumble "I pity the fool..." but ignores it as wolves can't talk.
Rizaldo shoots off some fireballs but to no effect as they fly off missing their mark.
Jall hits another Orc with two well aimed shots.
The ogre moves up and kills the remnants of the horde of goblins finding 10SP.
Necro steps on a scorpion and then kills the recently appearing goblins with a sizzling ball of fire.
20180526_152200 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
Stalker jumps off the rock killing a goblin and moving into an orc ready to attack.
Borc kills the large orc, smashing his mighty club down on him while not spilling a drop of his home brew.
Rizaldo maintains his uselessness, missing again as does Necro who actually manages to hit but unfotunately finds himself up against a goblin impervious to fire.
Bonecrusher moves forward towards the goblin surrounded by fire.
Jall gets an awesome 3 activations but only manages to hit 1 goblin and kill it.
20180526_153159 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
Borc manages to descend the rocks and attack the last of the original orcs, however 2 bad activation rolls make two more wandering orcs appear both from the same table edge.
20180526_153948 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
A foolish goblin decides to run at the Bonecrusher and meats a grisly end beneath a battleaxe.
Jall and Rizaldo are ambushed by more goblins hiding in the rocks, they manage to kill one barely. My son rolled a 20 for the fireball aimed at the horde of goblin archers (so I let it inflict an extra wound destroying the last goblin of the horde. With the orcs and goblins now outnumbered the orcs that just entered have thought better of attacking the adventurers and decide it is time to leave.
 20180526_154640 by Kieran Me, on Flickr
In the final stages of mopping up a bunch of 4 goblin reinforcements decide to enter the battle and are met straightaway by Jall and Rizaldo firing arrows and fireballs into them. Needless to say the goblins did not last long at all.
20180526_160342 by Kieran Me, on Flickr

I had played a quick game the night before by myself and had thought that the Fireball spell was too powerful. This game though it seemed a lot more balanced with many fireballs not hitting. I'm keen to keep playing and upgrading my troops. I haven't done any post battle stuff yet. I imagine I will make my Archer and my wolf bond so they gain a bonus on activation when trying to help the other out.
I'm keen to play the "Defend the village" scenario to try to defeat a larger enemy. That should be quite fun, I have so many minis in my cupboard to use for that purpose. I'm also keen later on to give the spider scenario a go. I've just sold a large spider sculpt to Alternative Armies and I should be getting a copy of it soon.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 10:44:46 AM by beefcake »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
Re: First game of Sellswords and Spellslingers
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:13:11 PM »
Good to see that you are finally playing SS&SS. Fireball certainly thins the ranks!   

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:21:51 AM »
Nice report looks great!

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 09:53:50 AM »
Thanks. Probably get a second game in next weekend. Long weekend Hooray!