Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:04:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Skirmish rules for 1/72  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
Skirmish rules for 1/72
« on: May 26, 2018, 02:50:03 PM »
I missed the chance to buy Zvezda's Samurai Battles but nonetheless acquired a small collection of their excellent 1/72 figures....could anyone please point me towards an easy to get on with skirmish ruleset that would give me a chance to get them onto a table ?
Figures painted 2020 : 100

Offline Franck

• Student
Re: Skirmish rules for 1/72
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 05:16:35 PM »
You can try "Ronin", "Daisho" or "Torii".
The first 2 ones are rulebooks quite easy to find everywhere (Ebay, Amazon) and you can buy "Torii" on the Zenit Miniatures website.
"Despite what your Moma told you, violence does solve problems..."
Chris Kyle, American philosopher

"A bad day on the golf course will always be better than a good day at work..."

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »
Thanks for your reply...am completely new to the world of Samurai and those three suggestions give me something to investigate- cheers

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
The most popular commercial sets at present seem to be Osprey's Ronin and Daishō by the Ministry of Gentlemanly Warfare. Though the latter is subtitled  'Skirmish Wargaming in Mystical Japan' it is perfectly well suited to purely historical games. There are also free sets available online, including a couple here of varying complexity and detail:

http://www.jimwallman.org.uk/wargame/

I see someone beat me to it. I nearly mentioned Torii, but haven't actually seen it, though I have the same publisher's Kensei. Both of these, however, also have a 'mystical' slant, and appropriate models may not be easy to find in 1/72. As with Daishō, however, I am sure this is easy to ignore, at least initially.

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 05:39:29 PM »
@Andrew McGuire...thankyou...you just answered my next question re the "mystical" aspect of the rulesets....a cursory glance has already got my interest piqued with shopping imminent ...think my boxes of plastic are about to see some paint  ;)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 03:53:43 PM »
I'm glad my comments were of some use. For some reason I didn't think to mention Test of Honourby Warlord. Admittedly this comes with figures which you may not want or need - I'll readily admit to having barely commenced assembling mine - but I can see no reason why you shouldn't be able to use your 1/72 figures if you want, and sell or otherwise dispose of the supplied ones. A lot depends on whether you're prepared to pay £30 or so just so that you can use the cards you'll need to play (the rules are free to download and everything else can be bought separately).

Offline Burnin Coal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 05:15:23 PM »
@Andrew McGuire - thanks again...for now at least I want to avoid buying into a complete system - 28mm would have been my natural choice but I really like the effect of massed Zvezda figures and kind of fancy the challenge of painting 1/72 for the first time since the Airfix figures of my youth  ;)

In the meantime I ordered myself a copy of Ronin....AND also managed to get some primer on figures that are now no longer boxed or on sprues