Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

?

Dr Mathias - Upside Down
237 (89.1%)
Hu Rhu - Adelig and Gedridht
29 (10.9%)

Total Members Voted: 265

Voting closed: June 01, 2018, 11:51:09 PM

Author Topic: Round 5 - Upside Down vs. Adelig and Gedridht  (Read 4357 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Round 5 - Upside Down vs. Adelig and Gedridht
« on: May 26, 2018, 11:51:09 PM »

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Round 5 - Upside Down vs. Adelig and Gedridht
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:26:27 AM »
Brilliant Matt. You've caught the Stranger Things vibe just right :) Love the background.

Gary, I think you've been darned unlucky in your draws so far. Your parade of very nicely painted Footsore Saxons deserve more success!  :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 05:11:35 PM »
I really like the Saxons. Nicely arranged and well presented. Yet, the Torchwood/Dr. Who/Delta Green-themed Demogorgon vs Troopers is just too downright silly not too like!

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 07:59:02 AM »
Gary, I think you've been darned unlucky in your draws so far. Your parade of very nicely painted Footsore Saxons deserve more success!  :)

Thank you for the kind words but I don't think I have been unlucky, just beaten by better painters. I will just have to do better in future.

Offline Blasphemia Blackwood

• Librarian
    • Gardens of Hecate
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »
'Upside Down' is such a gorgeous entry. The colours all work, the painting is crisp and the photography is clear. I think it's my favourite entry this year so far.

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2018, 05:21:08 AM »
'Upside Down' is such a gorgeous entry. The colours all work, the painting is crisp and the photography is clear. I think it's my favourite entry this year so far.

Thanks!

Colorful and animated entry Hu Rhu, lots of variety and details. You appear to be amassing a nice collection of dark ages miniatures!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2018, 08:04:54 AM »
More cool Dark Age-ness from Hu Rhu. Nice bold colours, but I am drawn to the well-painted blond beards for some reason. Nice proper old-school beards and long hair, not like the hipsters you see all around these days. The Civil War Beard + Hitler Youth Haircut look has outstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned. Time for it to go.  :)

Loving Dr. M's entry. The green skin on the monster and the yellow suits are just fantastic. They are just suits painted yellow, nothing to them, really. Yet they look really, really impressive. No disrespect meant to Hu Rhu, but I'm glad to see Mathias getting a win. I think you have been harshly treated by Lady LPL this year, as far as luck of the draw goes. But hey, that's the way it goes, I guess. Can happen to the best of us.

I do have one question, though. Why is it called Upside Down? There doesn't seem to be anything upside down in the entry. Is this a reference I'm missing?

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »
More cool Dark Age-ness from Hu Rhu. Nice bold colours, but I am drawn to the well-painted blond beards for some reason. Nice proper old-school beards and long hair, not like the hipsters you see all around these days. The Civil War Beard + Hitler Youth Haircut look has outstayed its welcome as far as I'm concerned. Time for it to go.  :)

Loving Dr. M's entry. The green skin on the monster and the yellow suits are just fantastic. They are just suits painted yellow, nothing to them, really. Yet they look really, really impressive. No disrespect meant to Hu Rhu, but I'm glad to see Mathias getting a win. I think you have been harshly treated by Lady LPL this year, as far as luck of the draw goes. But hey, that's the way it goes, I guess. Can happen to the best of us.

I do have one question, though. Why is it called Upside Down? There doesn't seem to be anything upside down in the entry. Is this a reference I'm missing?

The Upside Down is the alternate world in the tv show 'Stranger Things'. In the show the kids (the main protagonists) are playing D&D and have that old Demogorgon model as the big bad. They use D&D thwir knowledge to understand the nightmarish world they uncover.

It's a lovely entry.

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 08:57:42 AM »
Colorful and animated entry Hu Rhu, lots of variety and details. You appear to be amassing a nice collection of dark ages miniatures!

Thank you, yes I am and shamelessly using the LPL as inspiration to paint a band for Dux Britanniarum Your entry is wonderful, with a great back story and wonderful painting and staging. A worthy winner.

More cool Dark Age-ness from Hu Rhu. Nice bold colours, but I am drawn to the well-painted blond beards for some reason. Nice proper old-school beards and long hair, not like the hipsters you see all around these days. 

Obviously an ABBA fan.    :D :D

No disrespect meant to Hu Rhu, but I'm glad to see Mathias getting a win. I think you have been harshly treated by Lady LPL this year, as far as luck of the draw goes. But hey, that's the way it goes, I guess. Can happen to the best of us.

I too voted for Dr Mathias.  Clearly the better entry.  As to Lady Luck, well I'm not sure my entries have been up to the same standard as some of the other wonderful scenes.  Never mind I have set my sights on improving my painting and my photography so there is always next year to look forward to. :)