Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:16:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686597
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 614
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 39623 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts
« on: May 27, 2018, 02:01:21 PM »
Well. I have a large Warhammer 7th Edition orcs and goblin army and haven’t played with the models since then. Wasn’t impressed at how GW split up my faction into about ten necessitating the purchase of lots more models!

But took the dive at the Pit Gaming Store in Borehamwood last week with a 1000 Moonclan Grot list.

Opponent played Khorne, so I was not hopeful of victory, and did indeed lose, but not by much at all. We just piled into each other so I could learn the game mechanics. The 60 grots held down the mass group of Bloodletters for three turns before being cut down. But the squigs piled into the huge daemon of Khorne thing - and ate it. My heroes weren’t up to much, other than quite a cool magic blast which caused a lot of mortal wounds. Probably would have been more fun if we’d played with decent amounts of scenery!

Not sure how much tactics there was in the game. And the swirling morass of melee seemed tactically pointless but seemed a lot closer to actual medieval combat than the tidy but unwieldy lines of seventh edition Warhammer were.

If I gross up my army to 2k, or 1950, using what I have, it looks like this:

Warboss on Cave squig
Grot shaman x 2
60 Grots
Mangler squig x 2
25 squigs
8 squig herders
5 squig hoppers
Fanatics
Giant
« Last Edit: December 05, 2020, 09:51:53 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sir Shvantselot does AoS
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
Pulled these out the garage for Mantic’s Vanguard, which is taking off a little in my local gaming store, the Pit Gaming Shop in Borehamwood, Herts. They’re so old they wouldn’t fit aesthetically into AoS anyway I reckon. Bit Oldhammer almost. Will spruce em up. But torn about what to do about basing the orclings. Vanguard requires a square base. But want to use for AoS too potentially if I ever get round to a proper goblin army. Having read the rules, what’s the problem with basing on circular bases and marking rear and front with a line on each side like war machine for Vanguard?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sir Shvantselot considers Vanguard and Dragon Rampant
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 08:01:43 PM »
Someone I play Saga with also threw into conversation they’re open to Dragon Rampant and bought a copy. So I thought I’d rebase and spruce up some Chaos warriors and some ogres from Warhammer seventh edition that have been in the garage for a decade. Maybe I could throw them into something AoS. My local opponents won’t be bothered about proper factions as long as points are roughly the same. Was quite fun seeing how my painting had changed and using aggrellan earth and blood for the blood god etc. This is my proposed list and I am just wondering what to do with the extra point to get to 24.

Dragon Rampant list

12 chaos warriors (heavy foot and terrifically shiny armour) 6 points (including leader)

3 ogres (bellicose foot) 4 points

Enormous giant (greater warbeast) 6 points

Goblin archers (light foot; fearful) 2 points

Wizardling (light foot) (Thunderbolt; almighty prod; heal thee) 5 points
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:03:14 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 08:44:07 AM »
Played Vanguard on Saturday night at the Pit Gaming Shop. I played the following list:

Orclings x 4
Morax x 4
Gore rider
Troll + heavy weapon
God speaker
Krudger  + heavy weapon + lucky charm (one reroll)

Against Abyssals.

Great opportunity to use my old GW metal giant so we played the giant scenario.

The giant randomly walked towards the Abyssals who fired some magic at him and thus got 3 VPs in the first round (my heart sank as it’s only 1VP for killing anyone).

Also the Abyssals started taking out grunt orclings with charges and ranged fire. My heart sank even lower.

Then the Abyssals Knights charged into my troll and a savage Orc. And didn’t kill them.

At which point I realised the Orcs were just nails. And piled everyone in, pushing them at least into contact with fatigue.

The Orcs hit like a truck in each case. They caused massive amounts of wounds. The game has an interesting mechanic for warrior models whereby you don’t just die if you’re reduced to 0 wounds but check against your nerve (leadership) with modifiers based on how hard you got hit, and you’re only off if you fail. So you can hang around a couple of lucky turns for someone with high nerve.

But over a few turns the Orcs hacked the Abyssals down to a man.

I benefited from having kitted some Orcs already with armour piercing characteristics out with heavy weapons, which neutered Abyssal armour even more. Next time I’d probably ditch the savage Orcs and a few upgrades for another gore rider.

The game flowed well. Not sure how the Orcs would fare against a shooty crew. Not sure what my opponent could have done better, other than staying away from me and chasing the giant....

Anyway, fantastic to use my Orcs from Warhammer 7th Edition (and which frankly are from the late nineties). It’s all good fun buying new miniatures every few weeks for the lead pile but shouldn’t we be using what we have.

Anyway, a fun rules set. Some pics below.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 06:43:40 PM »
Finished painting and basing some Orclings I have used for Vanguard. And sprucing up orc gors riders that hit like a truck.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 04:37:27 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 06:50:29 PM »
And most of the way through sprucing up some marauder horsemen from GW. Real pain to paint. But I kind of see them as evil Dothraki now. Will use them as light horse with shortened range for Dragon Rampant.

This is the list currently:

12 chaos warriors (heavy foot and terrifically shiny armour) 6 points (including leader)

3 ogres (bellicose foot) 4 points

Enormous giant (greater warbeast)

Marauder horsemen (light horse; shirt range missiles)

Wizardling (light foot) (Thunderbolt; almighty prod; heal thee)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 10:42:10 PM »
Great stuff! I really like the chaos warriors with the red and white shields.

One thing I noticed: Heavy Foot don't have the "terrifically shiny armour" upgrade in the DR rules (it's reserved for Bellicose Foot). I think that's because they'd then be a 12-strength-point unit with Armour 4 (and Armour 5 when in Wall of Spears/Shields formation) - making them almost a double-size Elite Foot unit for the same price - in defence at least. Have you played them like that? If so, how did they go?

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2018, 11:09:47 PM »
I see that Mantic are going to release rules for the Armies in Uncharted empires for Vanguard in December as a free pdf. So that will include the warriors of chaos ones (Varangur?)

Offline Devoted of Slaanesh

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2018, 11:12:48 PM »
It's always nice to see old armies marching back to war!

Like your models and wish you a lot of fun on the battlefields. ;)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 02:31:05 PM »
Thematically those Chaos Warriors would be better as Offensive Heavy Foot (attack with a 4+ rather than 5+) or Elite Foot.

I don't think you will want to have two Wild Charging units in the same army.  You effectively only have control of 60% of your force.  I would make the Ogres Heavy Foot, perhaps again Offensive.  So have

Chaos Warriors - Elite Foot
Ogres - Reduced model count Offensive Heavy Foot
Horsemen - Light Riders /short range
Giant - Greater Warbeast
Wizard - RMU Light foot wizardling.

Again would a chaos wizard really go in for healing magic?  Perhaps Dragons Breath would be better thematically and also help protect your hard hitters from enemy missiles.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 10:54:36 PM »
Finished painting and basing some Orclings I have used for Vanguard. And sprucing up orc gors riders that hit like a truck.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2018, 08:31:36 AM »
It's always nice to see old armies marching back to war!

Like your models and wish you a lot of fun on the battlefields. ;)

Some really helpful tips. And thanks for the warm engagement.

My opponent is likely to be free in the new year so I’ll let you know how Dragon Rampant goes (unless anyone is local to Borehamwood Hertfordshire and fancies a game beforehand...)

It’s also occurred to me I can use this as an opportunity to repurpose my Orc Warhammer army without having to buy loads more for AoS, and play a game with a lower model count and fun mechanics.

I am slowly sprucing that Orc army up, and trying to give it all a bit of an old hammer feel as the minis range from the 1990s to the early 2000s plastics.

The Spellcrow heads are great for that as they are a modern take on 1990s Orciness.

I was never happy with these Black Orcs as I never understood how to paint and highlight metal properly. And they never had much character. And you needed 30 of them which I never had. So I’ve added some Spellcrow heads and will just spray paint them silver.

Hopefully they can be a unit of 12 in Erehwon or units of 4 hearthguard in Saga Age of Magic.

I’m wondering if there will be scope for my four Orc plastic chariots, and how I should base them.

Offline **GS**

• Mad Scientist
  • never enough time
    • Spitl.de
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2018, 09:03:43 AM »
Well done so far.
I'd like to read more about your games.
Cheers
GS
"You don't have enough magic in you to make cereals into breakfast!"Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2018, 09:15:14 PM »
Those heads look great, nice find.  Adds some different character to the orcs.

I'm fairly local (in Hitchin) and have a bunch of oldhammer figures I have been using in Dragon Rampant if you fancy a game some time.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2018, 10:35:01 PM »
Those heads look great, nice find.  Adds some different character to the orcs.

I'm fairly local (in Hitchin) and have a bunch of oldhammer figures I have been using in Dragon Rampant if you fancy a game some time.

We’ll work out something, young families notwithstanding.

Anyway, a half game of Vanguard, curtailed alas by real life as one opponent had to rush off and finish an assignment.  But good fun to test out the mechanics.

Good to see Brettonians on the table again, proxied Basileans. In turn two the giant walked straight into Grimgor, the Orc boss and bashed a couple of wounds off him, as well as wounding a mate. The Knights on the hill could not resist charging into the Orcs at its base and were counter-charged by swarms of snotlings, who are nails supporting something with armour piercing bashy qualities, like a savage orc. Zapbukkit, da Orc godspeaker was the hero of the show, zapping the giant and getting lots of VPs.

Lovely set of rules. Small moan - your crew gets 3 red power dice + 3 extra red dice for an orc leader. The ten quid box of dice has five red dice. Ronnie! Still, as I’m using GW miniatures I thought I’d just buy another box in solidarity.