Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:06:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689820
  • Total Topics: 118298
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 40042 times)

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
Re: Sir Shvantselot considers Vanguard and Dragon Rampant
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2018, 02:06:01 AM »
Glad to see that there's some love for Vanguard on these forums. Haven't had the time to post up some pictures myself, but I've been playing it quite a lot recently, and loving every game of it.

Something tells me that Mantic might have a bit of a sleeper hit on their hands with this set of rules, provided some buzz goes around on the internet  :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2019, 02:02:57 PM »
I see that Mantic are going to release rules for the Armies in Uncharted empires for Vanguard in December as a free pdf. So that will include the warriors of chaos ones (Varangur?)
Annoyingly all my Chaos stuff is based on round bases and you really cannot use them in Vanguard. I now have 18 mounted chaos warriors. Anyway, a bit of Xmas work.  Two units of  horse warriors in Saga Age of Magic; three units in Erewon I have on pre order; 3 in Dragon ranpant when I eventually play a 32 point game (or indeed any game...)?

Also the hellcannon. I remember bringing it into a GW store in Brent Cross, now long gone in around 2008. A regular looks at it and asked mockingly, “did you put that together with a hammer mate?” I answered “how did you know?”  And he used a range of expletives about his efforts to make his, particularly re assembling the cannon itself. Anyway, hopefully it can be some kind of artillery for my chaos army in Saga and it could also be a reduced size unit of heavy archers in Dragon Rampant. I’ve got the crew somewhere. Hope nobody will notice the wheels are all on squiff.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 02:40:10 PM »
You can't use round bases in Vanguard? Sounds like that'll stand in the way of the rules becoming a hit, to be honest.

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 03:09:34 PM »
You can easily use round bases. Whilst the rules aren't written for it, the changes needed to make it work are really minor.

But yes, ask the fans over on Facebook and you will be told, ad nauseum, that the bases sizes are overly important, and that you can't use round bases.

I've played a lot of games with round-based miniatures; never ever has it been an issue :)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2019, 03:29:36 PM »
Ah, that's alright then. Sounds like it's only a problem if you need to go with a full on Rules As Written, dare I say "competitive", type of crowd. Which I never do. :)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 10:07:24 PM »
You can easily use round bases. Whilst the rules aren't written for it, the changes needed to make it work are really minor.

But yes, ask the fans over on Facebook and you will be told, ad nauseum, that the bases sizes are overly important, and that you can't use round bases.

I've played a lot of games with round-based miniatures; never ever has it been an issue :)

Would the changes be painting dots or a line on either side of the round base like Warmachine players do, to have a front and back arc?

Anyway, did a bit more refashioning of my Warhammer 7th edition minis for Erewon  or Dragon Rampant. Should get some games in February at the Pit Gaming Shop.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 10:18:10 PM »
Third go at giant scenario from Vanguard.  Orcs vs Basileans (proxied by Brettonians).

Orcs advanced and Zapgit the wizard zapped the giant but the Bretts shot him and equalised, so no points. Then the Brett’s charged into the Orcs and did vast damage and took little in return as the Basilean skill is to up armour to 3+

The orc boarboy ploughed across to what we assumed was the grunt underbelly of the Brett force, spear men and archers. But after taking some damage they rounded on him. The giant bashed one of the Lrcs and wandered off effectively beyond game play.

Orcs lost 7-4.

Not sure the orc wizard adds value...

Fun had by all.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »
A large shooter unit for Dragon Rampant...

A chaos hellcannon that has sat unpainted and unused for eight years. Now hopefully to be used...

Thank heavens for army painter silver spray paint.

Bit of a video to show the weight as well:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 11:20:22 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2019, 12:33:53 PM »
Well, my first game of Dragon Rampant, at the Pit Gaming Shop Borehamwood.

I played Warriors of Chaos:

6 chaos warriors (elite foot)(including leader)
4 ogres (bellicose foot)
Enormous giant (greater warbeast) + fear
Marauder horsemen (light horse; short range missiles)
Chaos hellcannon - Heavy missiles

Versus orcs:

Boar boyz (Heavy riders + fear)
Black Orcs (bellicose foot + shiny armour)
Goblin warriors (Light foot)
Wolves (lesser war beasts)
Enormous giant (greater warbeast) + fear

Resounding victory for the forces of chaos. And not sure it was due to tactical genius; both of us were trying out the rules for the first time.

The Orcs advanced the miserable gobbos to see what happened to them.  The chaos light riders rode up to them and chucked spears twice; whilst the chaos chaos fired once at them. The gobbos saw discretion as the better part of valour and left the field.

The bellicose ogres advanced up the left flank and got charged by the boar boyz and the two wore each other down till they were both destroyed.

The Orc’s giant pile dived into the elite chaos warriors and trapped them in front of the remainder of the chaos forces, in a rule we found a little odd and I’ll ask for clarification later - you roll one dice if trapped and if it’s less than your courage a strength point as indicated on the dice result walks off the battlefield? Surely the difference between your courage and what you rolled walks off the field in disgust?

The Orcs’ wolves were stars of the show and piled through the remainder of the ogres and almost pursued down the hellcannon.

But due to some very poor dice rolling the black orc bellicose foot and ogre failed courage tests after combat even though they had not lost many strength points. The wolves were left on a limb and the Chaos ogre made doggie roasts out of them.

Not sure about the rules. Played easily in just over a leisurely hour - which was great. Also very easy to pick up. Lots down to extreme luck. The Orcs failed a lot of early order tests in the first round leaving them subjected to a lot of shooting. Chaos rolled really badly repeatedly for key combat tests - which happens in any game. There was little character or flavour to the game.  The fantastical rule add on were very expensive for what they delivered and not really worth taking. And I enjoyed it more than Warhammer seventh edition from back in the day when I first got into fantasy. It was always long, painful and lost at the army listings stage to factions that never suffered morale like demons or undead. 

I’d play again. But I’m waiting for my Warlords of Erewon Book - preordered within days of being up for preorder but apparently out of stock already?! And Saga Age of Magic. What’s happening with that?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2019, 09:28:01 PM »
I’ve read through the Warlords of Erewon rules and wonder about this for a dwarf force...

Dwarf Lord
3 bodyguards (ie 1 extra)
Heavy armour

8 dwarf guard (heavy armour)

10 dwarf warriors

10 handgunners

8 Psychotic maniacs

Dwarf cannon (large)

Golem

I have the minis unassembled from old 1990s GW and Black Tree Designs.

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2019, 01:15:02 AM »
I’ve read through the Warlords of Erewon rules and wonder about this for a dwarf force...

Dwarf Lord
3 bodyguards (ie 1 extra)
Heavy armour

8 dwarf guard (heavy armour)

10 dwarf warriors

10 handgunners

8 Psychotic maniacs

Dwarf cannon (large)

Golem

I have the minis unassembled from old 1990s GW and Black Tree Designs.

Howdy,

I dont own the rules so i dont know.
How big is a force like this?

Grimm

Offline madzerker

• Bookworm
Re: Sir Shvantselot considers Warlord of Erewon
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2019, 04:10:57 AM »
nice terrain! Where are the trees from?

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2019, 09:28:39 PM »
nice terrain! Where are the trees from?

I googled the people who used to do the GW trees in the early 2000s and they’re still around so I went a bit wild with tree ordering. I’ve got like the entire Teutoburger Wald!

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 09:00:04 PM »
My second game of Dragon Rampant. More fun than the first.

I played basically warriors of chaos -

32 points -

32 Point Dragon Rampant list

Wizardling (light foot) (Thunderbolt; almighty prod; heal thee)

6 chaos warriors (elite foot) (including leader)

4 ogres (bellicose foot)

Enormous giant (greater warbeast)

Marauder horsemen (light horse; short range missiles) (first unit)

Marauder horsemen (light horse; short range missiles) (second unit)

Chaos hellcannon - Heavy missiles; Missile Enchanted

Played very shooty, very very shooty Orcs.

I couldn’t work out how you set up so we alternated. I placed most of my units so they were NOT opposite the shootiness but to its side.

The giant and some of the light horse advanced up towards the shootiness but hiding behind the many trees on the field. A lesser warbeast basilisk charged the light horse and did for them but then my giant countercharged from just behind the forest. He heavily bashed the basilisk. But he took a wound and had a wound already from a bit to shooting pain. He took a courage test. Rolled a double 1. And fled the table. Aaaargh. To be fair, he’d caused a little damage, taken a bit of pain. And thought blow this for a game of soldiers.

My wizardling, the bellicose ogres and elite foot marched up the flank to hit the Orc heavy infantry in the flank without the shootiness. But a unit of Orc scouts in the forest kept baiting the bellicose into the forest where all were equal and did them a bit of damage. But the scouts never lasted forever, we’re whittled down and fled. The Orc heavy infantry also took a battering. Then my elite infantry engaged the elite spellcaster leader a couple of times...and came off the worst with some bad rolling.

The Orc shootiness units managed to walk from where they had been in the wrong flank and looked menacing.

I only had a heavy shooter unit, duffed up bellicose ogres and the last model of the elite unit - my leader. So I folded.

But fun was had by all.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2019, 04:32:29 PM »
Nicely painted stuff and nice to see pictures and your thoughts on different games. Any systems that help get models back on the table like this can only be a good thing.