Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689646
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sir_shvantselot’s various Fantasy efforts  (Read 40000 times)

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: Sir Shvantselot considers Warlord of Erewon
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2019, 10:54:00 PM »
Thanks.

Indeed that is the key thing for me. I spent so much time and energy on these miniatures and classic fantasy was always my favourite. But Warhammer fantasy battle was never fun for me. I’d carry lots of miniatures into a GW store. Line them all up for twenty minutes. Then some 15 year old with one of the factions that ignored half the rules like demons or undead would just wipe me. Or I’d get shot off the table by dark elves. I’d get particularly annoyed when I had an army with a balance of monsters, artillery, infantry and cavalry and someone would say “interesting list”...and snigger. I guess I did play Empire (and did OK with two steam tanks coping with the local meta) and orcs and goblins. I’ve had more fun from Vanguard and Dragon Rampant than Warhammer seventh which I used to play quite a lot. Anyway. Well. Only taken me a decade to patch up this shaggoth. Found some ogre kingdoms horns instead of the dinky metal ones that came with the kit and kept breaking off! Much better.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2019, 10:34:53 PM »
Recently spruced this up and rebased from my Warhammer 7th days but did something horrid.

it was very shiny from using gloss varnish back in the day. So I put some lahmian medium on it, with a little water
Mixed in. 

It pooled everywhere leaving a while residue. I swear it had not been contaminated. I had to use washes to fill in all the crevices and it took ages. And the mini is darker now than it was. Doh!!!!!

I saw online “why don’t you use nail polish remover on an ear bud. Don’t do that...it wipes off about two layers of paint and you can’t get into crevices.

Anyway, this fellow is going to be a light infantry wizardling who can fly in dragon rampant. Must be a use for him in a Saga Age of Magic too. I bought Warlords of Erewon but nobody here in Borehamwood seems to want to play it. Doh again.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2019, 08:10:55 PM »
I’m not convinced these show the effort I put into them. Still just big blobs of silver. But had fun with the rust effect. Really hope four is enough for a mounted hearthguard unit in Age of Magic which my FLGS in Borehamwood  is kindly procuring for me over coming fortnight...and I have strong armed  some regulars into playing! Nobody seemed up for Warlords of Erewon...

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2019, 03:35:43 AM »
I wish I could help,
We’re getting a small group of players into WoE.
We have half a dozen or so, and I’m on my second game this Wednesday.
Trouble is we’re all in Manchester.

Love your miniatures too.
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2019, 06:52:53 AM »
Don't do yourself down, those paint jobs look very decent. I like the armour.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2019, 02:40:03 PM »
Found a good use for an citadel merchantman unpainted for a decade as a general for Saga of Magic army. Also good excuse to tart up an old giant from two decades ago.

Offline AWu

• Mastermind
    • War is the H-word
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2019, 05:38:25 PM »
It is quite late but next time try earbud and an alcohol.
Standard vodka worked well when Vallejo washes pooled in white sediment on my miniatures (I avoid them since)
I guarantee nothing (depends on the wash) but it shouldn't melt your paint at least.

Ad Rem
I share you thoughts about Rampants.
Its very prone to luck and kina bland but I have fun each time I play it.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2019, 10:49:00 PM »
It is quite late but next time try earbud and an alcohol.
Standard vodka worked well when Vallejo washes pooled in white sediment on my miniatures (I avoid them since)
I guarantee nothing (depends on the wash) but it shouldn't melt your paint at least.

Ad Rem
I share you thoughts about Rampants.
Its very prone to luck and kina bland but I have fun each time I play it.

All very interesting. Thank you. Would have reported back on game of Dragon Rampant at the weekend but it got pulled. But at least I prepped and spruced up some Empire.

Empire list for Dragon Rampant

Elite foot - leader base
Elite foot - greatswords
Heavy foot spears
Light foot spears
Heavy missiles - rocket cannon
Greater warbeast with flame attack (steam tank)

31 points...

« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:55:46 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2019, 02:21:40 PM »
Nice looking force.

A word of warning on the tank as greater warbeast. It's not that great, in fact, pretty easy to kill if it gets charged. You might want to use a different profile for it, or give it some magic upgrade to make it harder. If you want it to be like a tank that is.  :D

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2019, 11:18:56 PM »
Nice looking force.

A word of warning on the tank as greater warbeast. It's not that great, in fact, pretty easy to kill if it gets charged. You might want to use a different profile for it, or give it some magic upgrade to make it harder. If you want it to be like a tank that is.  :D

Good call. Couldn’t think how to make it cost effectively. So just went for normal giant as greater warbeast

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2019, 11:23:43 PM »
A fantastic game of Dragon Rampant at the Pit Gaming Shop in Borehamwood, Hertfordshire.

A great way to get my seventh edition Warhammer Empire army onto the table in some form, or at least the painted part of it...

My army list was as follows, 32 points:

Elite foot - leader base (heal thee; befuddle thee; sod off)
Elite foot - greatswords
Light foot spears
Light foot spears
Heavy missiles - rocket cannon
Greater warbeast + ponderous

I’m not sure exactly what my opponent took, but it was a medley of extremely classic role-playing miniatures and some of the newer Oathmark plastics. A distinct goblins theme.

We played the scenario where one side has managed to grab a relic and then needs to make off with it off the opponent’s table edge, straight through/ past the enemy army.

I slightly foolishly handed the relic, a chair from one of the Mantic Games terrain crates, to my giant, i.e. a greater warbeast who’s basically a glass cannon.

I then moved forward the light spears x 2. One unit kept trying to slam into the goblin light archers three times but kept on failing, until my heavy artillery unit managed to pound them into failing a courage test and fleeing the board. The other light spears foolishly tried to chase down some light cavalry, snotlings on baby wolves. But they kept on peppering the spears until they were much reduced until, by some miracle, the evade rule was misused one too many times and the spears managed to catch up with the wolves and shove their spears right up the little snotlings behinds.

The little basilisk, a lesser warbeast, jumped the giant and caused more wounds, so he stepped back dropping the chair. The little basilisk was so pleased with himself. But he found himself surrounded. The elite foot Greatswords charged out of the rocky terrain, where they had just done for some scouts, and beat the basilisk with their two handers till it fled off the table. The greatswords picked up the chair and took three turns to walk off the table, whilst being peppered with magic and missiles which took a few hit points off them. But they were steadfast in the name of the emperor.

The giant piled into some elite foot Orcs and fought to the death, leaving my elite foot leader facing off against them.

At that point we called it.  The greatswords has become unstoppable...

Will look slowly to painting up some old archers for scouts, flagellants as the wild foot (whatever they’re called) and Empire pistolliers as light horse.

Good fun.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 11:27:06 PM by sir_shvantselot »

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2019, 07:38:23 AM »
Great to see this thread again and a great game.  Kind of weird seeing it titled as Warlords of Erehwon but seeing a lot of Dragon Rampant!
Please post another game soon.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
Re: Trying out Dragon Rampant
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2019, 11:32:10 AM »
Sounds like a fun game, and looks fantastic! That is a beautiful force.

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2019, 11:35:49 PM »
yeah I like the way you can re-use older minis to make any kind of force you want very cool

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2019, 09:16:26 AM »
Dragon Rampant is great for getting old figures on the table.