Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:14:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Foundry Conquistadors suitable for the Italian Wars?  (Read 2918 times)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Foundry Conquistadors suitable for the Italian Wars?
« on: May 27, 2018, 07:06:14 PM »
I'm thinking possibly useful as Spanish?  They are lovely minis and I'd like to paint some but I'm not looking at doing the New World.  There's an obvious lack of pike minis, but I suppose that might be remedied...

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Foundry Conquistadors suitable for the Italian Wars?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
I have been planning on doing the same thing. I don’t think fashion is different for the guys crossing the Atlantic.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 07:26:32 PM »
They are such nice sculpts, seems a pity not to do something with them. 

Offline bluechi

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 07:29:19 PM »
what period of italian wars you prefer ? 1498, 1520,1540 ?

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 07:36:45 PM »
I was thinking of the bit when the Spanish were in those mixed formations 1/3 shotte, 1/3 pike, 1/3 bucklers?   Not sure on the years.

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 07:52:32 PM »
I have them as swordsmen and arquebusiers for my Spanish of the 1490-1510 period. They are fine. I have TAG pikemen alongside them, who are a bit on the short side but ok.
I'm using Eureka mounted Conquistadors as Genitors. Primarily because I picked up some second hand which were beautifully painted.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 10:51:20 PM »
You can compare them with the TAG Neapolitan/Spanish troops which are intended for the early phase of the Italian Wars (circa 1494 - 1510 or so, the era of "el Gran Capitan" Gonzalo Fernandez de Cordoba- the first and second Italian Wars).  They certainly would fit in with them.   

http://theassaultgroup.co.uk/product-category/renaissance/spanish/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 07:40:19 AM »
I agree that the Foundry Conquistadors make excellent Spanish, especially the arquebus and sword and buckler men. 

I haven't got round to choosing the pikemen yet although erring towards using the TAG Spansh/Neoplitan figures.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 10:12:51 AM »
Thanks all- the TAG minis on that link do look like a good match!  Tempting....  :-)

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi Simon,

I have a few in my collection too though I don't use them so much for colunela. The last recorded use I have of that formation is Ravenna 1512, when they were badly mauled by Gaston de Foix's French army.  After that I believe they tended to operate as traditional pike squares supported by massed arquebus (or vice versa, as at Biccoca 1522). Certainly by 1522 the 'attached' company of swordsman had been dropped from the pike establishment, though I dare say a few bands of gents armed with sword were still kicking about.

The thing that stops the Foundry figures being useful for colunela are the morion and cabasset morion looking helmets which didn't start coming into use until at least 1530, and they are more suitable for post 1550. Also plain, un-slashed medieval type hose (men in tights) are a better bet for the earlier stuff. Nice figures though, so it depends on how fussy you are going to be.

Helmets should be more like this, and arquebus in 'Italian' hats and more medieval looking 'munition helmets' for up to 1522 ish (figures by the Assault Group); I've used a lot of Old Glory but that's because I started collecting them before this range came out - but right up your street I reckon:

My  Spanish colunela figs by Old Glory - cheap as chips and just as tasty:

Regards,

James
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 07:10:15 PM by olicana »

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:12 PM »
l
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 10:14:13 PM by olicana »

Offline Phillius

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »
Good points James. You have me thinking about my use of figures now.

I will just have to buy some more I suppose!

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »
Thanks James- that is very useful indeed- not ideal, then!

I must say I've not previously seen the closeups of the TAG minis- they are terrific! A better way to go.

Your painted OG minis look excellent- did you do the flags, too?

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:59:57 PM »
Yep, the flags are home made. At Partizan we talked about flags and command stands. Might I suggest this for Italian Wars from the start. It will save you money and painting time on figures as you'll only need to change the flags. I've done it on all of my Italian Wars stuff.

Post link:

https://olicanalad.blogspot.com/2010/07/top-tip-flags.html

TAG Italians painted up with changeable flags, and oh look, it's that Medici flag again. Crossbows are Front Rank WotR with some big Miliput turbans added. Arquebus are also Front Rank, WotR handgunners :

My collection is very eclectic, with stuff from Old Glory, Front Rank, TAG, Essex, Foundry and others. Choosing to go this route has allowed me to get stuff for just about everything and because the collection is so mixed (though units are generally from one manufacturer) it somehow makes the whole lot blend. There's a right old mix in this shot.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 01:08:38 PM by olicana »

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 01:56:57 PM »
Hi James, I must confess that I an coming to the idea that your idea of the detachable flags is a sound one!  Although my general strategy, in wargaming, has always been to make as much work for myself as possible, I will absolutely nick that.  ;-)