Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Man From 3000  (Read 2704 times)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
The Man From 3000
« on: March 02, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »
A celebration of a really useful figure and a plea for something similar but in a different pose.
Agents Red and Blue from a UN agency relating to law enforcement

Using MF3K and MF2K heads

Detective Constable Rivers.

Using Minion Technician head

Doctor Solomon

Using the Doctor Solomon head.

Impossible Agent Martin Coach.

Using one of the male scientist heads.

Agent Green

Using the Saurian head.

Plastons

Plaston head from the alien head sprue.

I am sure I have a Man from 3000 figure as the Man From 3000 (though no white edging to his jacket) somewhere but no photographic evidence so far.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 09:23:50 AM by Ultravanillasmurf »

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: The Man From 3000
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 11:10:10 AM »
Found another one.

Flamboyant Agent John Easton.

Using a minion head.

Offline CPT Shanks

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2018, 04:36:57 PM »
Nice. I like the style of what you've done with these.  Are you gaming anything in particular with them?
"welcome to the world of cascading failure"

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 04:10:52 AM »
Nice - and I agree; CD could do a bit more with these!
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Gailbraithe

• Librarian
  • Post-Apocalyptic Librarian
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 06:06:10 AM »
He reminds me of the OOP Empire Militia box set from the Evil Empire.  Not in appearance, obviously, but sheer versatility.  The Militia box could create cultists, pirates, bandits, city guard, house guards, pretty much any kind of "medievalish warrior" of the skirmish variety.  This guy has that same incredible versatility, with a mode of dress that is so non-descript and generic that he could be anyone with the right paint job -- as you've ably shown here.

You know what the world really needs?  A female version of this model who is equally non-descript and could be anything from housemom to CEO with the right paintjob and head.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
He reminds me of the OOP Empire Militia box set from the Evil Empire.  Not in appearance, obviously, but sheer versatility.  The Militia box could create cultists, pirates, bandits, city guard, house guards, pretty much any kind of "medievalish warrior" of the skirmish variety. 
You mean this one:

http://ultravanillasmurf.blogspot.com/2018/01/frostgrave-ghost-archipelago-empire.html

This guy has that same incredible versatility, with a mode of dress that is so non-descript and generic that he could be anyone with the right paint job -- as you've ably shown here.

You know what the world really needs?  A female version of this model who is equally non-descript and could be anything from housemom to CEO with the right paintjob and head.
Yes, possibly one that looks like Tatiana Maslany.

I am still looking for a Clark Gregg look a like head for this figure (though a suit and tie version would fit better).

Offline Gailbraithe

• Librarian
  • Post-Apocalyptic Librarian
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 02:23:43 PM »
You mean this one:

That's the one. 

Yes, possibly one that looks like Tatiana Maslany.

lol lol lol  Took me a second to get that, haven't watched Orphan Black in a long time.

I am still looking for a Clark Gregg look a like head for this figure (though a suit and tie version would fit better).

Yes!  A Not Clark Gregg would be great.  It feels like Hasslefree should have already done this.

Online Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
These are brilliant! Wonderfully creative reimaginings of the chap, I presume with the badge scraped off the lapel? That badge is probably what has stopped me going for him in the past - how easy was it to remove?

I do mourn the loss of Crooked Dice's 'everyday folk' miniatures - if only there weren't the passing resemblance to Doctor Who actors and actresses! I wish I'd bought several of their Killian figures - I altered mine with a pistol, but an unarmed mini is just so much more versatile.

In fact, as well as longing for usefully blandly-dressed poses of both genders, I'd love more unarmed miniatures of the quality that Crooked Dice produce with nice neutral poses like your chap(s) above. It's harder to imagine a weapon off a mini than it is to imagine one on.

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2018, 08:55:10 PM »
Excellent stuff!
Something Crooked this way comes...
http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/
Wargaming in the world of Cult TV

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 07:45:35 AM »
These are brilliant! Wonderfully creative reimaginings of the chap, I presume with the badge scraped off the lapel? That badge is probably what has stopped me going for him in the past - how easy was it to remove?
Thanks.

It was not too difficult, a combination of a sharp Swann Morton no 10a blade, a needle file and some fine sandpaper.

I do mourn the loss of Crooked Dice's 'everyday folk' miniatures...
... I wish I'd bought several of their Killian figures - I altered mine with a pistol, but an unarmed mini is just so much more versatile.
I hope he was collateral damage, residing on the same mould and might make a reappearance. You may notice I use one for scale. I have three (base, toaster fighting time traveller with G36, and zombie survivor) but I have a number of plans for additional ones (Twilight 2000 survivor - hint apocalyptic).

In fact, as well as longing for usefully blandly-dressed poses of both genders, I'd love more unarmed miniatures of the quality that Crooked Dice produce with nice neutral poses like your chap(s) above. It's harder to imagine a weapon off a mini than it is to imagine one on.
With a well posed unarmed miniature it is easier to add a weapon than remove one. The Man From 2000 figure is difficult to arm.

Online Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
I hope he was collateral damage, residing on the same mould and might make a reappearance. You may notice I use one for scale. I have three (base, toaster fighting time traveller with G36, and zombie survivor) but I have a number of plans for additional ones (Twilight 2000 survivor - hint apocalyptic).

Hoping along with you. He's an excellent 'vague' figure. I like what Crooked Dice have done with some of those moulds to produce the apocalypse fighters, but I hope they also bring out the original non-combatant versions at some point. Heck, even if they'd offer headless versions to avoid any IP issues I'd be up for several.

With a well posed unarmed miniature it is easier to add a weapon than remove one. The Man From 2000 figure is difficult to arm.

I'm finding it tricky to find many decent unarmed figures. I love the Wargames Factory survivors for their versatility, I find even them to be hard to present as anything other than gun-toting, blade-wielding fighters. It's the utter lack of right-arms-doing-nothing options out there. There aren't many left-arms-doing-nothing options either, but there are some. Not only does it make life difficult for the unrealised left-handed characters out there, but it means one can't do a dual arms-doing-nothing miniature.

Offline nozza_uk

• Mad Scientist
    • The wargaming world of Nozza
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 04:27:10 PM »

How about the various Heroclix versions?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 04:44:13 PM by nozza_uk »

Offline uti long smile

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 05:02:27 PM »
I’ll see what I can do.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 05:40:29 PM »