Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690802
  • Total Topics: 118351
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How To Cheat In Tabletop Wargaming!  (Read 5948 times)

Offline Leftblank

• Librarian
    • Amsterdam6shooters wargame club
How To Cheat In Tabletop Wargaming!
« on: May 28, 2018, 01:00:03 PM »
Blog summary:.
A (So-called) top 40K-player turned out to be a magician last week at the final of a London 40K-Grand Tournament. He thought he was smart, but the camera caught him red-handed. For example he used his glass of water to invisibly push his models in a better position, changed 5 wounds into 3 wounds and bluntly lied about objective cards that he had not discarded. Full list of his tricks here (he certainly is a waterglass-at-al-costs-player). Funny: he just started his tactics blog and cheating was not included.

After studying the game video the jury banned him. Wargaming is a gentlemen's sport and gentlemen don't cheat. Or do they?

My regular club opponent 'Friday 13th' and my other common enemy 'Skyscraper'' often, if not always, defeat me so they MUST be cheaters. You see, I'm the Napoleon of wargaming and Waterloo can't happen EVERY game. But I'll be back. I'm the terminator. For my own pleasure and for other not-so-gentlemen, including the aforementioned "top 40k Player", I'll give you a quick list how-to-cheat with wargaming. Lawful good paladins, stop reading here.
http://napoleoninelba.blogspot.com/2018/07/so-called-top-40k-player-alex-harrison.html
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 05:17:12 AM by Leftblank »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: How To Cheat In Tabletop Wargaming!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
For future reference, considering the implications of the GDPR, please do not use real names of people in postings unless explicitly authorised to do so (e.g. referring to yourself).

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
The reason I steer clear of tournaments is that I have noticed that cheating, together with childish behaviour, is actually normal at least locally. The tricks you have mentioned are only a part of what I have seen enacted, and not the worst by a long shot
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2018, 04:21:28 PM »
I'd sooner cheat and lose than play fair and win!

:o
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 09:14:34 PM »
For future reference, considering the implications of the GDPR, please do not use real names of people in postings unless explicitly authorised to do so (e.g. referring to yourself).

Am I the one one who thinks the GPDR sounds like a new more sinister version of the NKVD, or some such? I’ve been getting bombarded with the emails here in Canada and inevitably I just unsubscribe from whoever sends them. We live in dark times.

Back on topic:

I often gamed solo, as I have few friends and I’m an ass. My opponent my, let’s call him Tnarg, was the biggest cheater I’ve ever played against. Bastard knew my every move, purposely moved dice, punched me once, and was someone I swore I would never play against again.

There’s a special spot in hell for cheaters - whether sports dopers or 40k types - sports, there’s big money at stake; did the 40k guy think he was getting a cereal box sponsorship deal out of winning? lol
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 09:39:25 PM »
Bastard knew my every move, purposely moved dice, punched me once, and was someone I swore I would never play against again.

You've always been guilty of excessive self abuse though.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 09:44:11 PM »
Am I the one one who thinks the GPDR sounds like a new more sinister version of the NKVD, or some such? I’ve been getting bombarded with the emails here in Canada and inevitably I just unsubscribe from whoever sends them. We live in dark times.

After being immersed in it for work for the past few months, I'm not sure that it applies in this context. Most of the emails you have received were completely unnecessary as well, but most companies panicked and sent them anyway.

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:58 PM »
Anyone who is so desperate to win that they cheat is not someone I would ever want to game against.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 04:19:25 AM »
You've always been guilty of excessive self abuse though.

Well, true.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 06:09:07 AM »
If you are willing to risk the social stigma of getting caught cheating in a wargame, you probably do not have a lot of cred to start with.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »
One man's cheat is another man's innovator!
Wot about that bloke who got captured for warming up and stretching his plastic measuring stick? He was well crucified, nobody thought, to enquire if he'd only got a little one to start with!

:-*  :'(  :-*

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2018, 10:16:01 AM »
One man's cheat is another man's innovator!
Wot about that bloke who got captured for warming up and stretching his plastic measuring stick? He was well crucified, nobody thought, to enquire if he'd only got a little one to start with!

:-*  :'(  :-*

I share his pain ….. I mean, I know of some other people who share his pain and am able to empathise.

Heheh … good save, nobody noticed.

Offline Sbloom141

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 09:05:55 AM »
This is absolutely the worst facet of this hobby.

The cheating is the icing on the cake of what is an absolutely soulless procedure. Those models are fighting completely without story or context. Look at the tanks all bunched up together, what’s that supposed to be?!

Even the commentary on the Twitch streams treating what should be a ‘space battle’ like a game of Snooker is something I find depressing.

I just don’t get it.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »
Most people, perhaps all, who I have interacted with here on LAF all seem to promote the notion of ”spinning a good yarn”. Power gaming is anathema, winning or losing is completely subordinate to experiencing a really well areanged and good loking  game.

Offline DeltaBlue

• Bookworm
  • wait who planted the claymore?!?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 12:24:18 PM »
Most people, perhaps all, who I have interacted with here on LAF all seem to promote the notion of ”spinning a good yarn”. Power gaming is anathema, winning or losing is completely subordinate to experiencing a really well areanged and good loking  game.

I agree most people would have read this thread, had a "chuckle" and a "tut"maybe mutter something about "Tournament gamers"

with any games comes cheaters, most of the time when spotted it can be deal with a little bit of banter and good natured leg pulling, and forced pint buying afterwards
GM (me) - you spot a 70 year old grey hair little old lady.. Clutching large leather bound book and a uzi.

“Tom”- “She has a Book!!!”

“Danny”- “I put a bust of M4 fire between her eyes” rolls…

Phil- “if he misses I put a shotgun slug in her face” 

That’s the Delta green baby"