Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:08:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is new in wargaming in 2018?  (Read 4509 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
What is new in wargaming in 2018?
« on: May 29, 2018, 11:08:16 PM »
Like the title said. What is the new kid on the block in terms of wargaming this year? What are you excited about? What are the trends and fashions? Are there any new games, or interesting periods coming up? Any old favorites being rehashed?

In short: This year I am mostly looking forward to....(Discuss)
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: What is new in wargaming in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 11:13:48 PM »
I think if they can keep the releases and pace going Blood Red Skies has been a winner for me. Picked a set up at Salute, also extra set of aircraft. Paint up nice and easy, splashed out on a terrain mat and bobs your uncle. I have played and had people playing it at our local club and so far of the 8 all have enjoyed it and a couple have splashed out too.

Nice simple rules but good mechanics which mean you can handle a dozen aircraft a side easily after a couple of games to get your head around the rules.

so for me looking forward to expansion for Blood Red skies (and you won`t here me say that ab out warlord games rules often) and What a Tanker is a cracking club game, one I can see being in many clubs as a staple pick up game for new members, club theme nights and such

What a tanker is also another set I would put up there too

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 11:22:12 PM »
Oathmark is interesting me.

Im also looking to get into both Gangs of rome and Blood and Plunder more. Oh and Carnevale when the Kickstarter lands.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 11:31:11 PM »
Yeah, Oathmark looks promising - another fantasy small battle ruleset, perhaps in a rather crowded market - but the plastic multi-part models, with their focus on a very much old school, Tolkein-esque design .... I find their aesthetic most pleasing.

I like the 12mm stuff that Great Escape Games is doing as well, at the moment in WW1 but presumably with the option for expansion into other genres if successful.

I guess the Conquest Games fantasy stuff, with its focus on British Isles and Nordic mythology has caught my eye because I've been painting it! But it's an interesting project, all the same.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 02:00:26 AM »
Pendraken's 10mm Aztecs! ;D
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline N.C.S.E

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 04:27:32 AM »
I must admit that when it comes down to it I have everything I want available already. It's just a matter of buying and painting and creating my own rules. Looking at what others are saying, it's a very strange position to find oneself in.

Offline ink the troll

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 11:55:12 AM »
The thing that piqued my interest was Lucid Eye's Red Book of The Elf King, admittedly more the minis than the rules. That and those wealdgeist tree thingies by the company whose name escapes me atm (and some of the GW plastic kits).
sanity is for cowards

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:05:01 PM »
The thing that piqued my interest was Lucid Eye's Red Book of The Elf King, admittedly more the minis than the rules. That and those wealdgeist tree thingies by the company whose name escapes me atm (and some of the GW plastic kits).

That's the Conquest Games thingies!

Yeah, the Lucid Eye Red Book of the Elf King were ones I painted as well, and they have a wonderful Celtic Legend feel to them.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:16:38 PM »
I'm getting excited about the figures for Studio Miniatures Turf War Z modern zombie game - slowly building the figures after the kickstarter arrived last month
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:23:43 PM »
The release of the remaining Punic Wars sets from Victrix which will allow just about every element of the Roman, Carthaginian and Macedonian armies to be provided in plastic.  Not only that but they are excellent figures with some lively posing and easily kitbashed to provide almost endless variations.

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 12:25:39 PM »
For me To The Strongest has piqued my interest, Gangs of Rome (and a lot of the Footsore upcoming releases), V.2 of Saga and Empress WW2 releases due this year (massive bias on the latter admitedly). I might have to dive into the Victrix ancient ranges at some point - there's so much there now.
I want to know more about Oathmark and am keeping a weather-eye on that.
Also a vote for Strongsword (Westfalia) and thier releases due this year, which include a Gary Chalk art-book, which are very much on my radar.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 12:33:57 PM »
This year, the big thing for me is Star Wars Legion.
This has motivated me to buy the game and some extras such as 3D printed droids, Revell X-Wing & Snow Speeder.
I have started big scenery projects to do a town for Tatooine and big trees for Endor
I have bought several MDF kits and 3D printed "Greeble" bits like vents, doors etc.

I also have some new:-
Steel Fist Landsknechts,
Artizan Polish WW2,
Artizan Landsknechts,
Perry Zulu Wars NNC etc

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:37:04 PM by Mick_in_Switzerland »

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 12:35:26 PM »
Victrix moving into the dark ages has got me excited, not sure if it will be released in 2018 but there you go.

Other than that, working on my own ruleset is getting my juices flowing.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
I've just (finally) picked up Dragon Rampant, just to get back into fantasy gaming. But Oathmark too has caught my interest; I'll be keeping my eye on that one.

And of course, the big conversation starter around here right now is X-Wing's 2nd edition.

On top of that, I bought SW Legion not too long ago and also got myself Gaslands earlier this year...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 01:18:30 PM »
What a Tanker, for the school club.
Easy rules, fun, get a result within an hour, and tanks are easy to paint.
ArmourFast are cheap & easy to build too.