Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:54:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689770
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm V 10mm  (Read 1594 times)

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
15mm V 10mm
« on: July 01, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
Hi Lads
    I have been wargaming  for a good 30 years now,and started in 15mm  and never looked back until 10 years  ago when my club  started to plaingy in 10mm with  Napoleonic age of eagles rules .
    so i though i just get a corp or so as its a larger game using Brigades as units and not battalions like i played before with General de brigade.. shako .. ect.. 
    I was amazed at how much faster you can paint them.. and the cost is a lot cheaper..
so i have never looked back and have not bought a 15mm for a good 5 years now.. as i game in 10mm  now and all my new projects have been in 10mm it looks just as good as 15mm when you put them on the table and the 3 feet rule is how i paint so they are nice and quick.Have any of you chaps turned to 10mm now .. ?
Happy gaming dave

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 15mm V 10mm
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
It is pretty much 10mm for me all the way at the moment, I have a SYW, an AWI and Marlburian projects on the go, I also have a couple of packs of Bavarian Napoleonics and some fantasy ratmen tucked away for future projects. To me they are every bit as good as 15m m but cheaper and as you say easier to paint. :)

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 06:56:47 PM »
If I was starting out I would definitely be doing 10mm. I was big into doing large battles.
Now, I am more into small skirmish games of a few figures so I don't do much with 10mm.

Paul

Offline Emporium

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2018, 03:04:06 PM »
Same to me: i have a lot of 15mm minis (naps, ancients and ww2) that atm i don't use since i've turned to 6mm, 10mm and 28mm. At my ckub we use smaller scales for most of the wargames, using 28mm just for skirmish level rules (bolt action is the biggest skirmish ruleset we play with).

I still like 15mm minis, but i find it have week spots if compared to other scales: painting a 15mm mini is not that easier than painting a 28mm one, while it take much longer if compared to painting a 10mm (let alone 6mm).

Offline industrialtrousers

• Student
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 06:35:10 AM »
I've progressed from 28mm down through to 10mm. Fair points above regarding price and speed of painting but the main thing for me is storage. I can store 3-4 full armies where I used to have one.

The only downside with 10mm is the modelling. As a fantasy collector it can be difficult to find conversion bits and building from scratch has been a long road. That said I've managed to build the larger part of a Tzeentch daemon army for Warmaster but it can be pretty tough going.

I'd done most of an orc army in next to no time and them started some 15mm trolls - to me they're the same as painting 28mm.

Offline MartinR

• Scientist
    • The games we play
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2018, 07:18:05 AM »
A no from me. I did think long and hard about it when planning a couple of new projects, but in the end went 6mm for one and 15mm for the other.
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2018, 09:33:55 AM »
No.
10mm falls in the gap between 15mm and 6mm and is a poor compromise with the benefits of neither.
The slightly bigger 15mm figure is a better individual thing, and the slightly smaller 6mm is better for Armoured conflict or massed units. 

Offline shandy

• Mad Scientist
    • The Raft. Wargaming Adventures
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2018, 06:51:20 PM »
10mm falls in the gap between 15mm and 6mm and is a poor compromise with the benefits of neither.

Funnily enough, that's exactly what I said to my mates when they proposed to play a fantasy campaign using HOTT with 10mm figures... I'm really committed to 15mm, having lots of figures and terrain in that scale. And for a real mass effect, I've recently discovered 2mm.

However, I still painted that 10mm dwarf army  :)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 07:12:26 PM »
I'm lured by the prospect of 10mm, but really do like 'big' 15mm. Khurusan, Blue Moon - for the sort of scale of the projects I do they're a good compromise between a good 'painting figure' and less of the cost, size requirement of 28mm (though I still have 28mm projects on the go too).

Quite some years ago I had some Warmaster, and they were 10mm (I think), which were nice to paint and a good size for some larger battles. I've more recently tried to paint Pendraken 10mm SCW though, and they just seemed so small... too small in fact. Perhaps I should have persevered as I'd love to paint up a lot of their War of the Pacific figures, but I've got to admit being put off by the size. Which is strange, as I once had quite a few 6mm GNW figures.

Anyone painted Pendraken figures? Maybe I need a different approach than a black undercoat so the detail stands out more when I paint them.

I can see the lure of 10mm and they do work, but I probably lean more towards the 10mm being neither 6 or 15 point of view.

Offline Dan55

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2018, 03:20:00 AM »
Like some others, it depends on what I'm playing.  I wouldn't use 10mm for skirmish for example.

I love them for large scale operations where the look of the figure is less important than the look of massed formations.  I have a ton of 15mm American Civil War that I wish were 10mm.  They would look just as good I think, and I would be able to field masses of them on a smaller table.  I use 12mm Minifig infantry for my 1/144th scale WW2 armour battles for just this reason.

However, when the look of the figure is important I go with 15mm.  For periods like 7yw or Napoleonic I want to be able to see the uniforms since part of the spectacle is in all the colour.  This does not work out as well for me in 10mm.