Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690601
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What is new in wargaming in 2018?  (Read 4504 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Re: What is new in wargaming in 2018?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 03:55:30 AM »
Also expanding my ancient interests to involve a few later armies (Persians, Huns, later Imperial).
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline dbsubashi

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2018, 11:09:08 PM »
This year has been all about Chain of Command and the Western front for me. My small gaming group started fresh mid-January, and now it is all I can think about. This is my first real foray into historicals in 40+ years of wargaming. Just finishing up 24 feet of hedges (not hedgerows, those come later) to go with all new terrain and figures. Next up is Mediterranean buildings, walls and trees/foliage for fighting in Sicily. Too many cool units and battles there I want to try out on the table.

My plan is to build on what we are doing, and then refight the Western Front in “real” time next year for the 75th anniversary. D-Day, Cherbourg and Caen in June; more Caen and hedgerow country in July; COBRA, DRAGOON, Paris and Falaise in August; Arrnhem in September; attack on the West Wall in October/November; Battle of the Bulge in December/January; then the crossing the Rhine, VARSITY and all that in February and March. Wish us luck!

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2018, 07:12:28 AM »
Not too much wargaming, but a lot of painting. So far, I have been able to complete my Viking Saga Army and the Anglo-Danes are not too far from completion either. Indian Mutiny is growing slowly, but at good pace: two British units and one of Indian badmashes completed (40 miniatures, in a couple of months, which, for me, is speed painting!).

After a lot of procrastination, I decided to complete my French-Indian War forces (for Muskets & Tomahawks, although it can be used for Sharp Practice or any other skirmish set, actually); French and Indians are finished -I need to paint their bases, though- and have started with the Anglo-American forces.

Also, I've continued painting Macedonians, although at snail pace; so far I have two taxeis and have started with the Cavalry; the idea is to have 3 horse units and another taxeis finished for the end of 2018; in time, hopefully, I will have enough Macedonians to play To The Strongest.

I also have started with a long delayed project: War of Spanish Succession in Spain and Portugal. This is a project that I intend to have finished by 2020, so I am in no hurry. My intention is to use Beneath the Lily Banners v.3, with about 14 tactical units per side. Franco-Spanish forces will be stronger in Cavalry than in Infantry, while the Allies will be the opposite. That balance reflects best, in my opinion, the relative strengths and weaknesses of both sides during the war in the peninsula.

Last, I am waiting for Iain '45 range to be released at the end of 2018, to start a Jacobite force for use with Sharp Practice.