Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fallout Alley at Enfilade 2018  (Read 4184 times)

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
Fallout Alley at Enfilade 2018
« on: May 31, 2018, 03:05:40 AM »
So, I ran 3 games of Pulp Alley set in a Fallout-ish post-apocalyptic game last Saturday.  Not sure I will do that again - 3 games in a row wears you out something fierce, and my voice was gone by the end of the day.

Period 1 was "Who Runs Barter Beach", and I will brag on it, because I took best of show for that period.

I had 8 leagues put together, and let my five players choose from them.  Period 1 had the Vault Dweller, with Dogmeat and her Boy.

The Tin Man, and his league of automatra (Mr Handy, Mr Gutsy, Mr Mishap, and two Eyebots)

Captain Hepburn, and her crew, Old Nan and Oswald.
Reilly's Rangers
Roddy and his friends Ben and Kiera

(no, I didn't think to take group photos  o_o )

The goal was to enter the town of Barter Beach in search of someone who knew how they could get to a rumored Vault, which contained a treasure that was rumored to be the greatest, though no-one knew quite what it might be.  There were 6 plot points - a local fisherman, the mechanic, a crate of flotation rings, a weapon merchant, the Pirate spy, and a local VIP with her Robobrain (the major plot point).

I tried to take photos as best I could, but it is rough to keep a game flowing and still get pictures.

The Vault dweller won, by getting off the board with the VIP and the Mechanic, Hepburn found the Weapon Merchant and the Life Rings, Reilly captured the Pirate spy, and Roddy talked to the fisherman.  Tin Man went scoreless.

The game started slow with each league being careful, as I had said that if shooting were to break out, it had consequences.  When Tin Man opened fire on the Vault Dweller, I turned the entire board into an Extremely Perilous area, as the townsfolk opened fire on anyone they didn't know, and started drawing random challenges every time someone activated.  That was turn 4, and the leagues depleted quickly.

I supplemented the photos I took with ones I found that other people took of the game.  I would give a better take on the game if I had taken better notes.

Here, a townman on a motorbike had been convinced to help one of the leagues.

Roddy and his crew just convinced the fisherman to join them.

Dogmeat and Her Boy making short work of the Tin Man's robots to gain the VIP.

The game ran well, and was a blast to do.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Fallout Alley at Enfilade 2018
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 03:27:55 AM »
The second game I called the Wash of Years, and consisted of the 5 leagues attempting to get information en route to the Vault, only to be blindsided by a pirate attack they had to deal with.

There are less photos of this game - I had one gentleman who could not seem to grasp the rules, and that this was not just a kill everyone kind of game, and he took up much of my time, especially as he ended up with Initiative early.

There were no players who carried over from the first game, and so we had all new players.  The leagues were Reilly's Rangers, the Brotherhood of Steel, Roddy's crew, Captain Hepburn's crew, and Ma Barker's girls. The change I made to the rules here were 5 man bases of post-apoc raiders I called pirates, and was using as mobile Extreme Perils that I would move randomly at the beginning of each turn, and anyone they went within an inch of had to pass a random peril.  Then, in turn 4, a Kraken appeared, which turn the pirate ship into an extreme peril.  Turn 5, that ship sank, and the steamer became an extreme peril area. Turn 6, that ship sank, and all of the water became perilous.

Plot points were the VIP (again the major), a chest full of pirate maps, a Pipboy with notes from a security guard from the vault, a spelunker's maps, and a captured engineer who had found it.

Ma Barker played aggressively, and got the VIP as well as the pipboy, Captain Hepburn found the Spelunker's remains, and the Brotherhood of Steel got on board and stole the pirates' map.  The Engineer turned out to be a red herring.

Oops - fell in the water in power armor.  Long walk to shore.

This game wasn't as smooth as the first, but the was due to a total lack of anyone who had played prior more than once or twice, and the aforementioned murderous bastard (who found, after shooting 3 of the other 4 leagues, that he drew the Red Herring reward card, and got nothing for his trouble)

Call it karma.

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 03:49:32 AM »
The third, and final game of the night, was the Vault of Terrors.  The goal was to, in a nutshell, get in, and get out.  The plot points were a weapon cache, crate of Rad-Away, Nuka Cola Machine, crate of armor, and the major plot point, the last Starfighter game in existence.

I took even less photos, as I was dead on my feet.  Fortunately, all but one of my players had experience playing - one was a carry over from the last game, and another was a returning player from the first session - and I was able to just enjoy watching the action.

The leagues were the Brotherhood of Steel, Captain Hepburn, Reilly's Rangers, Ma Barker, and Roddy's people.  An interesting side note - Roddy was chosen by 3 separate people on the basis that I had tried to paint him up to be Roddy Piper's character from They Live - and they were all good friends with each other.

Reilly's Rangers shot Ma Barker's girls at the door, and ran away with this one, getting the Last Starfighter and the Radaway out safely.

All in all, it was good time, and I am pretty sure I convinced at least 3 of the players to go out and buy the system.

Offline Nimrod

• Scientist
    • Слишком много ножей
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 09:20:09 AM »
Magnificent looking games! :on
Such attention to a details deserves a highest praise.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:39:23 AM »
Holy moly those tables are AWESOME!! Fantastic man. Terrific job.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Maddoc

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 11:52:15 AM »
Now THIS is something that I need to re-create!!  :o

Offline Treebeard

• Mad Scientist
  • Lazy French Painter
    • Painting Log
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 02:05:23 PM »
EPIC !

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 12:49:28 AM »
Thanks!  It was a lot of work, my throat was raw, but almost everyone walked away smiling, and seemed to enjoy the games.  That is all a gamemaster can want, really.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 10:25:23 PM »
Great work! ...as usual. Although I was busy playing other games, yours add a nice element to Enfilade.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2018, 10:49:12 PM »
All the games look really great.  Pulp Alley works for so many eras.  Did it get confusing running so many leagues in a single game?

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2018, 12:48:32 AM »
5, in my opinion, is the limit for one gamemaster in Pulp Alley.  In my experience (in 4-5 years of running games with it), 5 hits that sweet spot where you can keep things flowing without anyone waiting too long between actions, as long as you stay on top of the player with initiative.  The white rings you see are what I give players to put on or beside models who have moved or taken an action, so that there is no question of who has what left to go.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2018, 07:27:12 AM »
Excellent tables.

Offline clanmac

• Mad Scientist
  • Danger - Stupid and Industrious
    • Clan Mac's Post Apocalyptia
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2018, 12:05:08 PM »
Wow, they all look spectacular - brilliant work.

Mac

It's not big, or clever, but let's do it anyway

https://www.facebook.com/Junkt0wn/

Offline Bullshott

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • I need a bigger hammer
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/27772452@N07/sets/
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2018, 07:14:44 AM »
Great looking tables. They certainly give the right feel to the games. Where did the kraken come from?
Sir Henry Bullshott, Keeper of Ancient Knowledge

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2018, 02:36:38 PM »
I can't remember exactly anymore - had him about 4 years - if I am not mixing it up with something else, he was a mis-painted product of a Kickstarter that the producers were selling cheap.  Apparently the first order had been produced in a goddawful puce and lavendar when it was supposed to be a deep purple and light gray.  Obviously, I painted mine.

I loved that I put a steampunk inspired pirate ship being attacked by a giant squid, manned by cannibals and hyenas, jumping on  a riverboat crewed by Princess Leia, a Robobrain, and a couple of random figures, based in the Fallout universe, using a pulp inspired game system...and no-one even blinked, just hopped right in.

Damn, but it feels good to be a gamemaster.