Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: BBC article on restoring the FT  (Read 2222 times)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
BBC article on restoring the FT
« on: May 31, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
Interesting article on the French FT tank and the restoration of a couple of them on the bbc website today - http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20180531-the-wwi-tank-that-helped-change-warfare-forever

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Re: BBC article on restoring the FT
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2018, 01:17:01 PM »
Sweet...
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2018, 07:15:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
It is one of my (many) dreams, owning a working tank...when I win millions on the lottery
 AND find a capable engineer, that is.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2018, 07:45:52 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
It is one of my (many) dreams, owning a working tank...when I win millions on the lottery
 AND find a capable engineer, that is.

Back in 1997 I was offered first dibs on buying a working FT-17. The inside was gutted of the original parts and a more modern engine had been installed. It had been used for films. The guy only wanted $55K. He wanted it in gold bullion!

I almost mortgaged the house to get it but didn't. I know who bought it though. It ended up being a bidding war between two collectors. It ended up selling for $275k. About 2005 it was resold to a private collector for $1.5M. It is now sitting in its own private garage outside of Kansas City Missouri.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2018, 09:05:48 PM »
I almost mortgaged the house to get it but didn't. I know who bought it though. It ended up being a bidding war between two collectors. It ended up selling for $275k. About 2005 it was resold to a private collector for $1.5M. It is now sitting in its own private garage outside of Kansas City Missouri.

It may be the one my wife and I saw in the WW1 museum in Kansas City a few years ago. I seem to recall the museum took it as a donation not long before our visit.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2018, 09:38:03 PM »
It may be the one my wife and I saw in the WW1 museum in Kansas City a few years ago. I seem to recall the museum took it as a donation not long before our visit.

Nope, it's not that one. The one the museum has came from the guy who lost the bidding war to the other guy.

The one at the museum took a direct hit to the lower left rear quarter section and you can still see the hole. The engine is missing as well as everything else from the interior. The one the museum has is non operational. The other one, the one that sold for $1.5M has now been fully restored and is functional. The guy even has the turret gun but can not instal it due to Federal law.

The one at the museum was NOT a donation. The museum had to pay $250K to get it.

In the last two pics you can see the damage.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 09:59:15 PM »

Nope, it's not that one. The one the museum has came from the guy who lost the bidding war to the other guy.

The one at the museum took a direct hit to the lower left rear quarter section and you can still see the hole. The engine is missing as well as everything else from the interior. The one the museum has is non operational. The other one, the one that sold for $1.5M has now been fully restored and is functional. The guy even has the turret gun but can not instal it due to Federal law.

The one at the museum was NOT a donation. The museum had to pay $250K to get it.

In the last two pics you can see the damage.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
Ah, right. After I posted the comment I began to recall that the museum tank was damaged, so probably wasn't the one you mentioned. Thanks for sharing the photos.

In any case, it's a great museum and worth visiting.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2018, 09:55:36 PM »
Ah, right. After I posted the comment I began to recall that the museum tank was damaged, so probably wasn't the one you mentioned. Thanks for sharing the photos.

In any case, it's a great museum and worth visiting.

That it is.

I use to be on one of the sub-boards when it was first getting underway (building being renovated and museum being planned and work on collecting just starting). Sometimes I wish I was still on it.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:11:47 AM »
Thanks for sharing that.